cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC Processors

Ryzen 9 7950X3D Dual Monitor Displayport not working

Hello Everyone,

I have a MSI B650 Tomahawk Wifi Mainboard with an Onboard HDMI and DP,  I have the AMD 9 7950X3D Processor. 

I have no separate graphics card but I would like to use the iGPU in a dual monitor setup. 

I have tried a lot of stuff but nothing works:

+ BIOS Update / Downgrade

+  AMD Adrenalin Drivers / Drivers for Onboard VGA from the MSI Website

+ Windows 11 all updates 

+ Checked Cables

Has anyone encountered this issue ? Has anyone any other Idea ?

Thank you very much

0 Likes
1 Solution

Hi all,

as promised my update: Apparently some PINs on the MB are bent so that is the issue, getting a new MB.

I am amazed since everything else was working fine...

Anyway, that's the end of the story. 

View solution in original post

0 Likes
10 Replies
misterj
Big Boss

JohnnyPounder, post all your parts and details of your symptoms. Which interface is the non working monitor on? Is it always the same monitor or the same interface? I think your iGPU should support two monitors but AMD does not say this, a search finds others using two monitors. John.

0 Likes

How do you have both monitors connected to your Motherboard's HDMI & DP Video output ports?

First according to CPU-MONKEY processor website the Ryzen 9 7950X3D supports a Maximum 3 Displays:

Screenshot 2024-09-05 102712.png

Connect both Monitors to your Motherboard's Video output ports then go to Windows Settings - Display and see if both are showing up like the way mine is showing up.

I have my PC Monitor and Samsung TV connected to my GPU card set in Windows Settings to have Duplicate Displays:

Screenshot 2024-09-05 103111.png

If you only see one Display in Windows Settings I would check your second Monitor cable and Monitor Settings (set for PC input).  If you have an Adapter DP-HDMI cable that could be your problem.

Also check in Device Manager under "Monitors" and see if you both Monitors showing up like mine:

Screenshot 2024-09-05 103645.png

From MSI Support concerning the specs for your Motherboard's Video output ports:  https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/MAG-B650-TOMAHAWK-WIFI/Specification

Onboard Graphics

1x HDMI™
Support HDMITM 2.1 with HDR, maximum resolution of 4K 60Hz*
1x DisplayPort
Support DP 1.4, maximum resolution of 8K 60Hz*
*Available only on processors featuring integrated graphics. Graphics specifications may vary depending on the CPU installed.

What are your both of Monitor's Resolutions set at ? 

Also what is your PSU wattage - Make & Model?  Could be a power issue but I doubt it.

0 Likes

Hello Thank you very much for your replies. 

Let me describe the situation of my desktop. So I have a surface laptop from work, with a docking station with one HDMI and two DP ports on it. I work with dual monitors every day and the monitors are both working, I also made an effort to check every HDMI / DVI / VGA input of those monitors with the cables I have and the docking station. Thus, I can confidently rule out cable / monitor issues. 

Now the setup of my new PC:

MSI B650 Tomahawk WiFi Motherboard, currently with the latest BIOS version 7D75v1K1(Beta version)

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D 

Kingston FURY DIMM 64 GB DDR5-6000 (2x 32 GB)

PSU: Thermaltake TOUGHPOWER GF A3 Gold 750W - TT Premium Edition 

I have an M2 Hard Drive plus 3 SDDs and 2 SATA HDDs to rule out power issues I disconnected all of the other hard drives , but the situation remains the same. 

@elstaci , I am familiar with the Windows Dual Display setup but windows says:  "we cant detect another display". So I can't see any resolution or so. 

I also see only one of the monitors in device manager.

I also booted into Live Ubuntu and xrandr gives me 1 HDMI port and 3 DPs, all DPs not connected. I assume this is because of the 2xCore of the iGPU.

Also, I tried to use only DP without HDMI plugged in, did not work either. 

For me it "feels" like the DP is somehow deactivated or so... If my feeling is not right the only remaining options are either:

+ Defect MB

+ Defect CPU 

But I think the defect MB is more likely. 

Thanks, JohnnyPounder. Have you contacted the MB support group? If not please do. Have you tried a non beta BIOS? Can you see both interfaces and Monitors in the BIOS? I do not understand the Ubuntu results. Why are there three DPs? Do you have a GPU card? I would not think this is related to the 2xcores.  Thanks, John.

0 Likes

Thank you very much ... Yes I created a support Ticket with MSI. They are telling me now that DP Adapters are not allowed... Which I don't really understand but anyway.  Time to find a monitor with a DP Port then. 

Unfortunately the Mainboard does not show anything about the Graphics or Interfaces. 

Also I have tried an old Bios version from 2023, and also the latest non beta BIOS.

Nothing worked. 

0 Likes

Thanks, JohnnyPounder. do you have the MSI B650 Tomahawk WiFi or the MAG B650 TOMAHAWK WIFI? Does your MB not have a HDMI and a DP port? What is a DP Adapter and do you have one? Are you using  DP to HDMI adapter? Are both your monitors HDMI only? Enjoy, John.

0 Likes

I have the MAG B650 Tomahawk WIFI, Yes the mainboard has a DP and a HDMI Port.

Monitor 1 has: HDMI x 2 and VGA 

Monitor 2 has: HDMI , DVI , VGA

I have borrowed a third Monitor with a DP Port

I have tried with and without the Adapter, still no image on DP.

MSI Support told me DP adapters are not allowed, then I borrowed the third monitor with a DP Port and a DP Cable... Still no Image (also tried updating / downgrading the VGA drivers). 

Can't enjoy though  

0 Likes

Thanks, JohnnyPounder. I suspect your MB vendor is being overly cautious on the adapter. I think you should not need any drivers except Adrenaline. Looks like it is time to decide to RMA the MB or the Processor. I agree with your thought above and would suggest RMAing the MB first. If the MB vendor balks  then go for a Processor RMA. John.

0 Likes

Hi, 

Thank you very much. I have decided to return the MB to the seller, a well-known seller in Germany.  My claim is that the MB is defective, so let's see what they come up with. Since I also bought the processor from them, if they plugin a CPU on their end and it's working I can also return the CPU. I will update once I hear back from them. 

Thanks again. 

Hi all,

as promised my update: Apparently some PINs on the MB are bent so that is the issue, getting a new MB.

I am amazed since everything else was working fine...

Anyway, that's the end of the story. 

0 Likes