cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC Processors

Ryzen 9 7950X - Weird Packaging

I ordered my Ryzen 9 7950X from Amazon and it came in a weird package. It had a cooler with it. The CPU itself was in a sealed static bag and a plastic case with foam. The CPU looks like it has a stain or something on the bottom left side. Should I return this? It’s supposed to be new. I also bought an “unlocked” version, is that why it looks like this? Do I need “unlocked” to overclock? I’m obviously new to this and I’m panicking.

joshfisher1021_0-1720477906998.jpeg

joshfisher1021_1-1720477916194.jpeg

joshfisher1021_2-1720477930373.jpeg

0 Likes
9 Replies

Where did you purchase your Ryzen from, which Retailer?-

First did your new Ryzen 9 7950X come in a sealed official AMD  Retail box like the one below from another Retailer:

Screenshot 2024-07-08 185350.png

According to the General information from the Retailer this processor DOESN"T come with a CPU Cooler.

Also in the photo of the Processor I don't or can't read the Serial and Model number that supposed to be etched on the processor lid.

Post the serial Number and model number from the Retail box and the processor: https://www.amd.com/en/resources/support-articles/warranty/PIB.html

Screenshot 2024-07-08 190044.png

If you processor didn't come in the above packaging then you either received a fake processor or it is a OEM/TRAY processor which is not covered by AMD Warranty.

From AMD SUPPORT on how to verify and identify a Sealed AMD RETAIL BOX if it is authentic or not: https://www.amd.com/en/resources/support-articles/warranty/PIB-Authenticity.html

0 Likes

It was not in the AMD box. The picture that I posted was exactly how it came. I purchased it from Amazon, and it was sold by Maestro Technology LLC. I’ll post a picture of exactly what I bought and a better pic of the processor.. So the OEM/TRAY is like wholesale and would’ve came in a separate package? Also, the description on Amazon doesn’t say that so if it is that should I return it since it doesn’t have the warranty? Thanks!

joshfisher1021_0-1720480765448.png

joshfisher1021_1-1720481152445.jpeg

I  would definitely return the processor if it didn't come in the official AMD Retail box from the Amazon Photo.  It is either a OEM/TRAY or recycled processor that Maestro Technology LLC sent you. I also would notify Amazon Customer Service about that Retailer AFTER you return the processor.

According to CPU WORLD:

Screenshot 2024-07-08 204026.png

If your processor came in the photo from Amazon in that Retail box than it should be covered by AMD Warranty. But you said it didn't so it looks like the Retailer sent you a used Processor and included a CPU Cooler in a different box.

You can send the Serial Number of the Processor to AMD SUPPORT -Warranty and see if that is a OEM/TRAY or recycled processor from here: https://www.amd.com/en/forms/contact-us/support.html

Your processor didn't come in a official AMD RETAIL BOX and it came with a AMD CPU Cooler therefore it isn't covered by AMD PIB Warranty but by the Retailer that sold you the processor.

Click on the link to show you how to know if you have an Authentic AMD Retail box or not.

If your AMD Processor were to have come in a sealed Official AMD RETAIL BOX it wouldn't have a CPU Cooler and it would qualify for AMD PIB 3 year Warranty.

Generally if a processor doesn't come in a official PIB AMD RETAIL BOX it is because it is a OEM/TRAY processor or it is a used processor. 

Was that processor part of a Pre-built PC that you purchased or was it a separate processor purchase from Amazon?

If it was part of a Pre-Built PC that you purchased then the PC manufacturer would be the one to have a warranty on the processor and not AMD since it would be a OEM/TRAY processor.

OEM/TRAY processor are sold in large quantities that arrives in trays to the Distributors. Those processors are under Warranty only to the Distributor and not to the Customer.  The Retailer/Distributors are the ones that supplies any type of Warranty to the customer on the processor not AMD.

0 Likes

Thanks for helping. The picture of what it came in is in the original post. I’ll post it again. I’m assuming at this point that it’s not used but an OEM/TRAY.. I’ve messaged the seller to see whatsup. I may just return it. It came in a normal cardboard box. The cooler came in its own separate black box that was inside of the brown cardboard box with the processor. The processor was in a folded piece of cardboard and sealed inside of a plastic case that was sealed inside of a plastic static back. The bag was press sealed like by a machine.

joshfisher1021_0-1720487855915.jpeg

If it is a OEM/TRAY processor than the Retailer is the one that can give you a Warranty on it.

AMD doesn't give warranties on OEM/TRAY processors.

Plus if you purchased the processor believing it will come in a AMD Retail Box as in the Ad, then you got scammed by the Retailer. 

I bet they sent you a Recycled AMD Processor that someone else returned. The box does seem to be the type used to pack the processor that comes inside a AMD Retail Box.  It seems like they just took the returned processor out of the AMD Retail box and shipped to you by itself with the CPU Cooler as an added perk.

That AMD CPU Cooler probably will be to weak to keep that high TDP Rated 170  Watt processor from overheating. AMD recommend an AIO Liquid CPU Cooler for that processor.

Generally, Retailers sells OEM/TRAY processors slightly cheaper than normal Retail Processors and are sold in a Non-AMD Retail box like yours.

But its your decision. If I bought the processor thinking it would be the same as in the photo showing in a AMD Retail box and received it like you did I would return it for a refund since it was false advertisement, in my opinion, and the Retailer's Ad didn't mention that it would be a OEM/TRAY processor.

If the Retailer gives you 2 or 3 year Warranty then you can decide if you want to keep it or not. But personally that Retailer doesn't seem to be very reputable type store.

Anyways, Good luck.  Post back what the Retailer replied out of curiosity. Maybe it was sent by mistake.

Here is the response from the seller. I’ve asked to get more information about the warranty. Like are they the ones providing it and is it the same as AMD? I reached out to AMD and they said if you buy one in a box that isn’t the AMD box that the seller must provide the warranty.

joshfisher1021_0-1720540561561.png

Okay the Retailer clearly states that your processor is a OEM/TRAY processor which is not covered by AMD 3 year Processor in Box (PIB) Warranty.

So the Retailer themselves are the ones that must give you your warranty on the processor not AMD or purchase a 3rd party Warranty otherwise return the processor and purchase a Retail AMD processor with a 3 year Warranty or keep the current processor and see what warranty the Retailer gives you and for how long or purchase a Warranty plan from Amazon.

Screenshot 2024-07-09 122433.png

I’ve reached out for information about the warranty that they mentioned. I’ll make my decision once they reply. If they offer a warranty similar to what AMD would give, I’ll probably save myself the hassle of a return. This has been very frustrating and I appreciate your help.

joshfisher1021_1-1720545185737.png