cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC Processors

Imvilnus
Adept I

Ryzen 9 7950x cinebench only 1820 points and 95 degrees

My Ryzen 9 7950x is throttling in cinebench24 under Noctua NH-D15 and makes only 1820 points. 

And i wonder is it ok if bottom of the cooler makes such print on the processor cover like on the photo (lika center of the cover a little higher, so that cooler is pressed unevenly) . It is important for me to know because the shop employee says that it is usuall situation. I think that's why it's overheating, the crystal of processor is not in the center...1727197087255 (1).jpg
Asus TUF Gaming B550 PLUS/Ryzen 9 5950x + Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360/some different DDR 3200 16 + 16 GB/GeForce RTX 4080
0 Likes
1 Solution
Imvilnus
Adept I

The end of this story is watercooling made its stuff: 87 degrees running cinebench24 with 2027. But we couldn't make ddr5 run (i was too upset to try different combinations and understand it is not a matter of 7950x) on xmp profile this time and i desieded to chang my mind and continue using my old good rysen 7 3700 x sys. 

Thanks to all.

Asus TUF Gaming B550 PLUS/Ryzen 9 5950x + Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360/some different DDR 3200 16 + 16 GB/GeForce RTX 4080

View solution in original post

10 Replies
misterj
Big Boss

Imvilnus, what is "...crystal of processor..." mean? Post a screenshot of Advanced view Ryzen Master (RM) running Cinebench R24 Multicore. Post a complete list of your parts. John.

0 Likes
FunkZ
Grandmaster

CPU Monkey lists the 7950X at 2142 points in Cinebench R24 Multi-core, so you are about 300 points off average. If the CPU is hitting 95°C it is thermal throttling. AMD recommends liquid cooling for the 7950X.

https://www.amd.com/en/products/processors/desktops/ryzen/7000-series/amd-ryzen-9-7950x.html

FunkZ_0-1727212338062.png

The shop is correct concerning the ridge down the center. It is typical for an AM5 processor because of where the retention bracket is applying force on the outside edges actually deforms the IHS slightly. Intel processors have a similar although opposite effect causing a depression in the center. This is covered in detail in Gamers Nexus video about making the "perfect" shaped CPU cooler coldplate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7BMYsMGpyFY

FunkZ_1-1727212570169.png

Noctua has recently released the NH-D15 G2 second generation cooler, and they offer it with 3 different shaped coldplates, Standard, LBC and HBC. The LBC (low base convexity) is made especially for AMD processors to address the particular shape of the IHS. Gamers Nexus also did a review of this cooler and a comparison of the differences and performance between versions. Note that in their testing the new G2 with the appropriately shaped base only yields 1½°-3°C better temps compared to the original D15.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=heriTDWIU2g

Honestly at $150 MSRP you'd get better temperatures with a 360 or 420 AIO liquid cooler.

Ryzen R7 5700X | B550 Gaming X | 2x16GB G.Skill 3600 | Radeon RX 7900XT
Ryzen R7 5700G | B550 Gaming X | 2x8GB G.Skill 4000 | Radeon Vega 8 IGP
Ryzen R5 5600 | B550 Gaming Edge | 4x8GB G.Skill 3600 | Radeon RX 6800XT

I know this information. But there are a lot of people with the same processor and the same heating systems, wich are having 2180 points and not overheating. 

I didnt found the answer on this situation...that is why asking here.

Thanks alot 

0 Likes

I believe you. But even though a system maybe similar, other factors are not, and to some extent, silicon quality also plays a small deal.

Ambient temperature, your computer case and its placement, fan type, fan placement, ammount of fans, undervolting. It the list goes on and on.

Example: Winter is coming where I live, ambient room temperature just dropped 6-8ºC all of a sudden. I'm already noticing it on my 7950X which leaves me some headroom to push my PBO even higher.

You should post full details about your system and maybe what the ambient temperature on that room is. Clear CMOS or check if you don't have a weird out of the box OC setting from your board vendor.

What can you do for starters:
Check carefully the cooler if its well seated and maybe do some curve optimizing/undervolting.
As last resort you can drop the PPT/EDC/TDC a notch and compensate with PBO.

Last foot note: The Noctua NH-D15 should be enough, however, AMD recommends liquid cooler on the 7950X.

The Englishman
0 Likes

Thank you very much:) 

My configuration:

ATX ASUS PRIME X670-P

64gb ADATA AX5U6400C3216G-DTLABWH

I was trying in open case. 

Tomorrow i will try to set up watercooling, namely: ARCTIC Liquid Freezer II-360 

If someone could advise something significantly better, ill be very grateful.

Another question, what to use as a thermointerface: arctic mx4, mx5 or Thermal Grizzly Hydronaut.

If you are running on an open bench/case, you are not constrained by any airflow, but we have to ask since glass front cases are not the best for airflow (obviously) and will impact CPU temps, even if its a small bit.

But its like I said, without information we can't really see the whole picture.

Have you updated the BIOS?
Cleared CMOS?
Reinstalled Windows?
You are not running the thing in a small cubicle room with like uppwards of 30ºC right?

Any of those thermal compounds are just fine.

You should first troubleshoot before going after new parts even though its an official recomendation.

The Englishman

Imvilnus, if you will post the information I asked for, I will take a look. Now is the time to analyze the issue not recommend solutions. John.

0 Likes

I would like to post screenshot, but now processor is in the cervice center, tomorrow i will make screenshots with watercooling. Parts are listed below. I ll relist them tomorrow. 

0 Likes

OK, Thanks, Imvilnus. John.

Imvilnus
Adept I

The end of this story is watercooling made its stuff: 87 degrees running cinebench24 with 2027. But we couldn't make ddr5 run (i was too upset to try different combinations and understand it is not a matter of 7950x) on xmp profile this time and i desieded to chang my mind and continue using my old good rysen 7 3700 x sys. 

Thanks to all.