cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC Processors

Khida-Senpai
Journeyman III

Ryzen 9 7900X CPU's idle temperature and clock frequency, Precision Boost Overdrive

Hello, I need some help regarding fixing my 'Ryzen 9 7900X' CPU's idle temperature and clock frequency. I bought my PC a while back and didn't realize the issue other than the fact that my electricity bill jumped 2 times the usual cost. 

I bought this PC mainly for coding, content consumption, and gaming (the game I play hardly uses that many resources because I play in a 'lowest/optimal setting'). The second reason is for my brother to use 3D software like AutoCAD, Maya, Blender, and whatever else you can think of. I mainly use this PC, and my brother only uses the PC when his laptop can't handle the 3D software's load that well. Extra info I thought I might add. -_-

Processor:   Ryzen 9 7900X
Motherboard: x670 Aorus Elite AX
Cooler:      Lian LI GALAHAD 360, Closed Loop AIO Liquid Cpu Cooler
PSU:         Antec HCG1000 1k Watt

Software Used: CPUID HWMonitor, NZXTcam, AMD Ryzen Master, Windows Task Manager

I am going to add a Google Drive link; please check the 'Google Slide' version or the 'PDF' files in the folder. PLEASE NOTE: I might have SS'd a few extra things.

[https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/17GcDO3Z00Qq9TaQXT0uBR91c0X5wgTEf?usp=sharing]

- File-1 [Bios]: I took pictures of whatever I thought might be necessary.

- File-2 [100%], Maximum Processor State (MPS) is at 100% under the Power Option> Processor Power Management.

- File-3 & File-4 [99%], Same as above, but MPS is at 99%.

- File-5 [100%]: Some extra screenshots; please ignore them if not needed.

Issues?

1. My main problem stems from the fact that the processor setting feels not 'optimized'. Maybe it is. But why, when I start the PC, the 'Idle Temp' and 'Clock Frequency' are so high?

For the 'Ryzen 9', the clock frequency was ALWAYS above 5 GHZ until I changed it to 99% (based on a YouTube comment). After that, when I switched it back to 100%, the clock speed would sometimes fluctuate between 5 GHz & 4 GHz, as you can see from the SS on File-2.

2. Is there no way to properly Auto-Detect? The system will auto-detect when I play an AAA game at high settings or use 3D software and allocate or increase resource usage? Or just browse Google Chrome and auto-decrease clock speed?

On my old PC and laptops, my 'CPU Temp' & 'Clock Frequency' would go up when I did something, and I felt properly reflected usage.

I do not want to use the MPS to cap processor upper limit, NOR do I personally want to use 'AMD Ryzen Master'. I am not that knowledgeable or comfortable tweaking with Ryzen Master (I guess under-volting). I don't even touch the BIOS setting and have never overclocked any PC or laptop I owned.

3. For the BIOS, should CPU FAN's be at 'full speed' or should I switch them to 'Manual'? 

I mean, as stated above, the PC specs aren't fully utilized the majority of the time, so should I change it to manual?

4. [BIOS] Precision Boost Overdrive (PBO) Enhancement is 'disabled'

But just "Precision Boost Overdrive" is set to 'Auto'.

I have watched YouTube videos for them; a few recommend the setting be off, and some say to keep it on. Should it stay on auto or should I turn it off? I do want the PC to run quite

5. File [99 Percent RED]

This is mainly for the AMD Ryzen Master software. If you check the file, the PPT, TDC, and EDC are RED [100% of -1W]. Is this a software bug? The software does freeze a lot and display this value sometimes.

--Sorry for repeating myself a few times. I just wanted to do a thorough post and fix my issue. I should have done more research before buying my new PC or CPU. I feel bothered that this does not feel optimized and feels like it is wasting electricity. Even if I can pay the extra cost, a waste is still a waste and bothersome.

In some YouTube videos, they did switch the Windows power plan to 'power saver' and the clock speed dropped to 1-1.6 GHZ. In my case, that doesn't do much. 

I guess if there is a system option like the Windows Power Plan of 'Balanced, High Performance, Power Saver', it can work. But is it too much of an expectation for AMD to have a proper CPU usage AUTO-detection system? Unless it is not a thing for both Intel and AMD chips.

Any insight will be appreciated. Thank you in advance to whoever reads my long-ass post.

0 Likes
0 Replies