cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC Processors

billiejackfu
Journeyman III

Ryzen 7 3700X Boost / Temperature [Workaround]

So I just received my Ryzen 7 3700X on Tuesday and it has been a struggle to get base clock to work, but I have been testing a workaround that seems to be stable so far. 

Disable Precision Boost Overclock (PBO) [2 Locations in AMI BIOS {MSI MPG x570 Gaming Plus}]

Enable AMD Ryzen (Balanced) in Power & Sleep Settings

---Change Plan Settings

----Change Advanced Power Settings

----Set Maximum Processor Power Management to 99%

Idle = Base Clock 3.6GHz

Game/Adobe AE or Premiere = 4.2GHz

Temps while idle on stock cooler around 35C (Though I did adjust the Smart Fan control to ramp up sooner at 40C)

Temps while gaming around 65-75C

That's all I have right now. Still testing.

0 Likes
4 Replies
kurison
Journeyman III

What I did to make my system have stable -ish performance is I disabled Core Boost, manually overclocked it to one of the clocks and voltages on the Silicon Lottery binning stats (4.05ghz @ 1.237V), and used Windows default balanced plan. 

It Idles at 45C
stays at 56-57C gaming, maybe touches 60C, but not very long (i played GTA V FiveM Asia Drift Server)
stays at 66-68C gaming + streaming, i think it touches 70C but I'm not sure (1080p60 4000kbps slower preset playing minecraft)

goes up to 76C handbrake

(basically what i did the whole day yesterday (it's 3:08am here now 17/08/19), never crashed. i used msi afterburner 4.6.2 beta 2 to check the temps.)

at stock or coreboost+PBO enabled, it kept going above 70C no matter what I was doing, except idle. now, i get better cinebench score than stock or coreboost+PBO enabled, and get better temps while gaming. 

also, i've never touched the fan control, and the fan is set to L instead of H because it didn't feel like it did anything, only make it louder. i call it stable-ish because when i use prime95, 2 to 4 threads stop immediately the moment the temps reach 85C. and it goes 85C really fast.

EDIT: I've decided to settle on 3850mhz @ 1.15625V for now until I get a better cooler. Tops at 84C on Prime95, and only 30cb less score than my stock and PBO+CoreBoost.

0 Likes
k9pt
Journeyman III

"Disable Precision Boost Overclock (PBO) [2 Locations in AMI BIOS {MSI MPG x570 Gaming Plus}]" i have the same board but only see one location to PBO?!..Where is the two locations?!...Thanks

0 Likes

When you manually overclock your cpu through your bios (easiest), all "boost" functions are automatically disabled, even if you only overclock by 1MHz!  I have my 3600X manually overclocked to 4.3GHz on all six cores, and it's 100% stable @ 1.362 volts in my bios. My idle is always in the 32C-36C range, under the stock, Spire air cooling.  Behavior at idle is the same as at default clocks--cores still sleep and operate at very low MHz, voltage routinely drops to well below 1v at idle until needed--you can verify all of this through Ryzen Master, easily, yourself....;)  I have found that performance in games, benchmarks, and other programs is measurably improved over the default clocks with boost enabled, and even if I turn on PBO @ default clocks it doesn't seem to add anything to performance...so overclocking this way seems the ideal and safe limit for this CPU.  Also, the CPU never goes beyond 75C-80C under load, even though 95C is the is the TDP limit. The great majority of time it rarely exceeds 65C when in use.

My hardware:

Windows10x64 v1903, build 18362.10005
19.8.1 Adrenalins
AMD 50th Anniversary 5700XT
Aorus Master x570 UEFI bios F5l (1003ABB)
Corsair HX-850 PSU (72a x1 12v rail)
AMD Ryzen 5 3600X @ 3.8Ghz default clock, 4.4+GHz boost
RAM 16GB 2x8GB, Patriot Viper Elite PV416G320C6K @3200mhz 16 16 16 36 1T
LG MultiDrive DVD writer SATA
Boot: Samsung 960 EVO NVMe 250GB (UEFI boot partition)
2x 1TB WD Blue 7200 rpm S3
ST2000DM S3 2TB
ST4000DM004 S3 4TB
BenQ EW-3270U 4k, HDR monitor

0 Likes

i've actually read a lot of comments from gigabyte aorus mobo users on reddit saying that their motherboards don't actually really enable PBO properly, whether they enable it in the bios or in ryzen master, because whenever they do, the PPT is stuck with the PPT default for the TDP of the inserted CPU (I confirmed it with my gigabyte aorus pro b450), so your PPT probably never changed when you enabled it.

IF you ever want to explore this out of curiosity, although it's probably unnecessary to do so, as i've noticed from experience PBO makes the cpu warmer, to really enable PBO on Aorus Mobos, you have to first change the "Package Power Limit Control" to 1000 in "AMD CBS."

0 Likes