Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC Processors

zektarstek
Journeyman III

Ryzen 7 2700X lock ups at idle

Hi everyone,

I already read in the community some solutions and tried the issues that were causing the system to have lock ups at idle, but I'm still having the lock ups at idle, here are my system specs:

• Aorus B450 Elite (F50 BIOS version) 
  • Ryzen 7 2700X 
  • Corsair 2x8GB DDR4 2400 RAM 
  • RTX 2060S 
  • EVGA 750W PSU 
  • Windows 10 Pro (19041 Build) 

I already tried disabling XMP, Windows is set to High Performance, power is set in the BIOS to typical current, already checked the RAM positions and tried each one separately. One thing though is that enabling XMP and having the RAM running at 2400 instead of 2166 seemed to cause more frequent lock ups. 

Any ideas? please help.

19 Replies
redikarus
Journeyman III

Hello, having perhaps a similar problem. How do you understand "lock up"?

0 Likes

I was having problems until I noticed my video card was overheating and thermal throttling.

Swapping cards fixed the problem.

Dissecting the card determined the thermal material was toast. Fixed with MX-4 and then the fuzzy donut on the old rig showed the card was back in business.

It turned out I had exactly the same problem. Today morning the PC did not even booted up, it reached a point where it constantly restarted. I pulled out the video card just to see what happens, and the PC booted up normally. So I just bought a video card, installed it an hour ago, and everything works perfectly. 

0 Likes

redikarus wrote:

It turned out I had exactly the same problem. Today morning the PC did not even booted up, it reached a point where it constantly restarted. I pulled out the video card just to see what happens, and the PC booted up normally. So I just bought a video card, installed it an hour ago, and everything works perfectly. 

welcome to the fried video card club.

0 Likes
zektarstek
Journeyman III

Seems like I could solve the issue. Sorry for the late response everyone but yesterday I wanted to test the system thoroughly before confirming. The issues were (not sure which one or if both but not gonna change anything for now): 

• Disabling Hybrid Sleep in Windows 
  • Disabling hard drive sleep after "x" amount of time in Windows 

I'm running a Crucial MX500 M.2 and Windows was restricting the amount of current to the SSD causing the freezes. Also the Hybrid Sleep deactivation is a must. Basically having this feature on doesn't allow the PC to shut down entirely, leaving some tasks and more running. The difference in time of reboot is close to none. 

Hope this helps everyone because I was ready to swap SSD, Mobo and RAM.

zektarstek wrote:

Seems like I could solve the issue. Sorry for the late response everyone but yesterday I wanted to test the system thoroughly before confirming. The issues were (not sure which one or if both but not gonna change anything for now): 

• Disabling Hybrid Sleep in Windows 
  • Disabling hard drive sleep after "x" amount of time in Windows 

I'm running a Crucial MX500 M.2 and Windows was restricting the amount of current to the SSD causing the freezes. Also the Hybrid Sleep deactivation is a must. Basically having this feature on doesn't allow the PC to shut down entirely, leaving some tasks and more running. The difference in time of reboot is close to none. 

Hope this helps everyone because I was ready to swap SSD, Mobo and RAM.

I use Intel's SSD, it seems to be almost invincible. Windows bugs are a more pressing problem.

0 Likes

Worth mentioning is that you should make sure you disable hybrid as well as fast startup. 

0 Likes

pokester wrote:

Worth mentioning is that you should make sure you disable hybrid as well as fast startup. 

I suggest using secure boot which protects from root kit type malware etc

0 Likes

I'm speaking about Fast Startup option in Windows 10. 

0 Likes

That is not even an option on my MSI X570-A PRO BIOS

0 Likes

IT IS NOT A HARDWARE OPTION. It is a feature built in to ALL WINDOWS 10, installations by default for pre caching data including driver info for faster system loading. However it is horrid about not being up to date and VERY often introduces old wrong or corrupt data into the system that causes conflicts. Especially conflicting with newly installed drivers such as GPU drivers.

So if you are using Windows 10 and have not intentionally disabled it, you ARE using it. 

Has nothing to do with what motherboard you have. 

0 Likes

All I know is that by default hibernate is disabled in favor of sleep with desktop systems of late

laptops use standby until the battery falls too low when they hibernate and shut down completely

0 Likes

pokester wrote:

IT IS NOT A HARDWARE OPTION. It is a feature built in to ALL WINDOWS 10, installations by default for pre caching data including driver info for faster system loading. However it is horrid about not being up to date and VERY often introduces old wrong or corrupt data into the system that causes conflicts. Especially conflicting with newly installed drivers such as GPU drivers.

So if you are using Windows 10 and have not intentionally disabled it, you ARE using it. 

Has nothing to do with what motherboard you have. 

Usually fast boot was an exposed UEFI option but it seems to have been removed for some reason.

Generally fast boot is disabled on motherboards that expose that feature.

There are lots of things MIA on AMD boards of interest to me, but they are not exposed.

0 Likes

I don't know what you don't get but you are seriously confusing Motherboard options and a very common feature that was introduced in Windows 8 and is the default for all Windows 10 installations desktop or laptop. 

I provided the link to provide you with the correct information to understand what I am talking about, but apparently you choose to not use it. 

Another link if you care to enlighten yourself.

Fast Startup: Turn On or Off Fast Startup in Windows 10 

Fast Startup: Turn On or Off Fast Startup in Windows 10

Fast Startup is a setting which is set enabled by default in Windows operating system. When Fast Startup is enabled, the computer starts much faster after shutdown. This feature stores all the system information onto a file and when the computer is powered on, the system information is accessed from the cache which makes booting of the computer ...
0 Likes

pokester wrote:

I don't know what you don't get but you are seriously confusing Motherboard options and a very common feature that was introduced in Windows 8 and is the default for all Windows 10 installations desktop or laptop. 

I provided the link to provide you with the correct information to understand what I am talking about, but apparently you choose to not use it. 

Another link if you care to enlighten yourself.

Fast Startup: Turn On or Off Fast Startup in Windows 10 

Fast Startup: Turn On or Off Fast Startup in Windows 10

Fast Startup is a setting which is set enabled by default in Windows operating system. When Fast Startup is enabled, the computer starts much faster after shutdown. This feature stores all the system information onto a file and when the computer is powered on, the system information is accessed from the cache which makes booting of the computer ...

This is the Windows 10 version 2004 default power options as exposed to the control panel.

mobile power options.png

By default in my MSI X570-A PRO this is the default setup. The options are editable with a group policy.

Windows 10 is pretty good at identifying the mobile vs desktop machine.

0 Likes

Listen if you are on sleep not hibernate then you changed it. It is not a default setting in any version of Windows 8 or Windows 10.

I always disable it too. 

At least know you are talking about the right thing not a bios setting!

If you don't get it then yes YOU HAVE THE ONLY VERSION OF WINDOWS THAT INSTALLS THAT WAY. 

0 Likes

pokester wrote:

Listen if you are on sleep not hibernate then you changed it. It is not a default setting in any version of Windows 8 or Windows 10.

I always disable it too. 

At least know you are talking about the right thing not a bios setting!

If you don't get it then yes YOU HAVE THE ONLY VERSION OF WINDOWS THAT INSTALLS THAT WAY. 

All I know is that I recall fast boot as an option in an older platform

The defaults seem to be stable which is what most should be using.

If the OP would be so kind as to post the model of RAM in use then somebody could check it out, often bad RAM an cause all kinds of problems

0 Likes
tomsliwowski
Journeyman III

Can you check event viewer to see if the lockups show an Error that says "Event ID 14 - nvlddmkm"?

A bunch of us on Tom's Forums have had the same thing happen and the only thing we have in common are Ryzen processors with RTX cards.

Link to the post: https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/hang-freeze-crash-event-id-14-nvlddmkm-amd-nvidia.3594431/

0 Likes