cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC Processors

Mokkan
Journeyman III

Ryzen 5900X new install power cycling on initial start up

I am having trouble with boot up after replacing the CPU.  It powers on, then off after about 20 seconds.  I've watched it cycle through this 5-7 times with no display generated.  I've reseated the RAM and GPU.  I've pulled the CMOS battery for 15 min.  When I reinstall the old CPU, everything works just fine.  Thanks for the help!

Edit: BIOS was updated to 5.60 before the first attempt at the new install.

Old CPU: Ryzen 5 2600X

New CPU: Ryzen 9 5900x

Mobo: ASRock X570 Phantom Gaming (AM4)

GPU: AMB RX580

Power supply: 550W

0 Likes
5 Replies
misterj
Big Boss

Mokkan, you probably need to update your BIOS to support the new processor then install a fresh copy of Windows including formatting your C: disk which should be GPT. John.

I updated the BIOS to the latest release (5.60) before replacing the CPU.  I'm surprised to hear the recommendation to reinstall Windows.  The PC isn't even getting to the boot screen, can Windows really have an affect that early in the process?

0 Likes

Mokkan, you are correct, you do not need to update Windows to boot into BIOS but you will need to update it to use Windows. Can you boot into BIOS? Is your C: disk GPT? Your power supply is probably too low wattage and AMD says "Liquid cooler recommended for optimal performance". Please post all your parts. John.

0 Likes
Awol
Challenger

ASRock X570 Phantom Gaming IS 3000 series ready so as misterj has stated you will need to download the bios for the 5900X. Put your old CPU in and install the fresh bios then put the 5900X in. Seems like this will be the only way as i cant see any bios flash usb port on the motherboard specs. Bios version needs to be a min of 3.2 to support 5000 series cpu's

asrock.com/MB/AMD/X570 Phantom Gaming 4 WiFi ax/BIOS.html

ASRock - BIOS Upgrade Instruction Guide

0 Likes

BIOS was updated to 5.60 before the first install attempt, so it shouldn't be that.

0 Likes