Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC Processors

Antjac
Adept I

R9 5900x and MSI X570-A-PRO BSOD

• Hi,

I've just upgraded my R7 3700x to R9 5900X on my MSi X570-A-PRO.

I have a RTX 3080, 32 GB ram and Antec RM-750.

Before upgrading, I've installed the last BIOS version of the motherboard.

On the first start, directly BSOD during Windows 11 startup. If I lock the frequency, it doesn't crash (but I loose perf)

I've reinstalled Windows, same issues. 

I set a higher voltage on the DRAM, it seems more stable but randomly crash (BSOD) when CPU frequency increase to the max value.

What can I do... ?

0 Likes
1 Solution

First when you install the new processor be sure to do a CLEAR CMOS so that BIOS will fully recognize the new processor.

Sounds like your RAM is compatible with your previous processor but isn't completely compatible with your new processor.

I would check your Motherboard's QVL LIST FOR RAM for the 5000 series processor and see if your RAM is listed as being compatible or check the RAM manufacturer's QVL list: https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/X570-A-PRO/support#mem

If it should be a incompatible issue remove all your RAM sticks except for one and leave it in the appropriate DIMM Slot, generally A2 on 500 Series motherboards. If your BSOD stops and your computer is stable then add a second stick of RAM and see if the issue starts again.

Also overheating issues can cause BSODs. So make sure that both your GPU and CPU are not overheating.

You can try to check for stability by running OCCT tests and see if it crashes during any of the three tests.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
13 Replies
Kahlimdor
Adept II

Hi there.

I'm under no circumstance an expert, but I noticed you said you upgraded the BIOS of the motherboard. Have you tried updating the chipset?

Hope that works for you.

Kind regards - Kahlimdor -

0 Likes

I've upgraded MSI drivers (included Chipset) and AMD drivers too

0 Likes

First when you install the new processor be sure to do a CLEAR CMOS so that BIOS will fully recognize the new processor.

Sounds like your RAM is compatible with your previous processor but isn't completely compatible with your new processor.

I would check your Motherboard's QVL LIST FOR RAM for the 5000 series processor and see if your RAM is listed as being compatible or check the RAM manufacturer's QVL list: https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/X570-A-PRO/support#mem

If it should be a incompatible issue remove all your RAM sticks except for one and leave it in the appropriate DIMM Slot, generally A2 on 500 Series motherboards. If your BSOD stops and your computer is stable then add a second stick of RAM and see if the issue starts again.

Also overheating issues can cause BSODs. So make sure that both your GPU and CPU are not overheating.

You can try to check for stability by running OCCT tests and see if it crashes during any of the three tests.

0 Likes
Antjac
Adept I

You're right, the problem seems to be the compatibility with my DDR4 3000 (G-skill F4-3000C16S). I've got 2 of them and 2 DDR4 3200 which seems to run well

Great to hear that was the problem.

But for the future never mix RAM Part numbers on the same motherboard to avoid incompatibility issues. Especially with Ryzen Processor that are fairly sensitive to the type of RAM being used.

Always purchase a RAM Set kit of the amount of RAM you want to install. Those RAM Kit Sets have been tested by the manufacturer to be 100% compatible with each other.

By the way, if you ever have to RMA a RAM Stick from the whole set you will be asked to turn in the entire RAM set to be replaced. This happened with my 4 sticks of 8GB Corsair Ram. One went bad but to get a replacement I needed to send in the entire 4 sticks which would have disabled my PC for who knows how long. Luckily I purchased the same exact RAM stick but sold by itself and not in a kit. Luckily it worked without issue.

0 Likes

You're right, but how do you do if you want increase the ram quantity..., I've just ordered another brand (Corsair) because I don't find the same model that I've already installed. I hope it will be ok...

If you want to increase RAM then purchase a new set of RAM Kit and keep the old RAM kit either as a backup or sell them or use them in another compatible PC.

That is why you need to really think about the hardware you want to purchase before upgrading or building a new PC by yourself.

But I see you are going to basically build a new PC with a new Motherboard and RAM.

Go to this website that is very popular for people who build their own PCs or upgrade their PC. it is called PCPARTPICKER: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/

Screenshot 2024-02-19 123000.png

0 Likes
Antjac
Adept I

Finally, I've to ask a refund... My motherboard was clearly not good for this CPU (VRM overheat). So I have to change MB, Ram and CPU... It's better to clearly go to the next generation.

Hi there!

If you are planning on going to the next gen, you should clearly aim for a DDR5 set up.

This is my advice, but try not to buy the cheapest MB. It is a pretty important component, as you saw. You don't need to buy the best out there, but try not to be cheap with it.

I don't know what PSU you are using, but take into consideration that the new set up might require more power than the current set up. I'm not saying you should buy a new one, since I don't know what you have now, but take it into consideration.

Also, as mentioned, pay close attention to the Motherboard's QVL LIST FOR RAM, specially since not all CPUs can handle 4 sticks of RAM. Your MB might have 4 slots of RAM (or even more) but not all CPUs are ready to use the 2 dual (or more) channels of RAM. Say you want 32 GB, try buying 2 sticks of 16 GB instead of 4 of 8 GB. Or, just be sure that your GPU and new MB can fully utilize the 2 dual channels of RAM.

Anyways, hope you enjoy it! Have fun!

Kind regards - Kahlimdor -

Anyways, good luck! Hope you can enjoy it!

jamesanderson753
Journeyman III

Experiencing a Blue Screen of Death (BSOD) with a powerful setup like the AMD Ryzen 9 5900X paired with the MSI X570-A-PRO motherboard can be frustrating. Here are some steps you can take to troubleshoot and potentially resolve the issue:

1. Check Hardware Compatibility: Ensure that all hardware components, including RAM, graphics card, and storage devices, are compatible with your motherboard and CPU. Incompatibility issues can sometimes cause BSOD errors.

0 Likes
Antjac
Adept I

I agree with you, that's why I give up. I just wanted to improve my CPU by keeping AM4 platform. But of I have to change MB, RAM, it's not interesting.

My PSU is Corsair RM750

Well if you are planning to change to AM5, 750 (as long as its 80 plus) should be fine. You can still change your MB to a "better one". In my opinion, it's not worth it to spend money on a "dead" platform. What I mean by dead is that (most likely) there won't be any new CPUs for that platform.

Take the lesson and next time don't go for the low tier MB. Many of us think that it's a good way to save some bucks, but in reality, we need to invest on it. Maybe we can sacrifice some aesthetics and buy more performance.

Have a nice day! Regards - Kahlimdor -

0 Likes
Antjac
Adept I

The MB was enough for my 3700X indeed, but yes, not adapted for 12cores and more

0 Likes