cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC Processors

Tednificent
Journeyman III

Newish build keeps randomly restarting

Was recently playing xdefiant and my pc just crashed. No BSOD no nothing almost like hitting the restart button. Ever since then as soon as my windows would boot my pc would just keep doing that instant type restart. I managed to reformat and get a clean version of windows but it's been acting extremely finicky. For example. I can use internet explorer for the most part, but if I try to use chrome it restarts. I can't play any games because as soon as I try to launch it restarts. Certain programs will make it instantly restart. Sometimes ill be doing absolutely nothing in windows and it restarts.

My specs are as follows:

cpu: ryzen 5600x

mobo: b550f gaming

gpu: gtx 1070

psu:thermaltake 850w

ram:crucial 8gbx2

m2. wdigital blue

Also this is the error in event viewer that keeps showing up not sure if this helps anyone.

A fatal hardware error has occurred.

Reported by component: Processor Core

Error Source: Machine Check Exception

Error Type: Cache Hierarchy Error

Processor APIC ID: 3

Event ID:18

Solutions I've tried so far: reformatting, reapplying thermal, reseating the gpu, checking to see if any psu cables are loose, trying an entirely different psu, trying a different hard drive, using ram in each individual slot and individually, I've run a memory test, a stress test on the cpu and gpu.

0 Likes
7 Replies
Gwillakers
Challenger

I hate seeing users not have a clue as to what is wrong.

This is not about your operating system, psu or software.

A machine check is an actual fault in the processor chip.

Something like add two numbers , but one of them were alphabetic.

or Load the data at address x'908080888'   but that address doesn't exist.

Or execute an instruction, that turns out to not be an instruction at all.

This particular machine check is somewhat common in Ryzen processors that are running either too fast for the Dimms

or too fast for the internal memory controller.  Or in the case of an idling system, a component was not given enough power to 

complete an operation in time.

If you are overclocking anything, back off a bit.

Add the tiniest bit of positive voltage to VCore and/or VSoc differentials

Good Luck

0 Likes

Well to be honest the only reason for those attempted solutions were because I couldn't even boot into windows at all at first. Haven't touched overclocking but i'm messing with voltages that you've mentioned. It does actually take more to force the restart now but unfortunately it's still happening.

0 Likes

I'm a bit surprised.

It should not take much to take an unstable system, that can still manage to come up, and make it stable.

Can I ask how much positive differential voltage have you added to VCore and how much to VSoc?

0 Likes

Honestly, I'm not too experienced messing with voltages so at first, I was just putting it up by the smallest increment possible just to test which I believe was like .250 added. Ended up just setting the vcore to 1.4 and the vSoc to 1.1. Still no luck. Saw someone on reddit with almost exactly the same issue who set their curve optimizer to +5 and that also did nothing for me. I'm starting to think I should just rma the cpu and board at this point because that seemed like to be the only thing solving this issue for people on reddit.

0 Likes

I did not want you to go and add an additional .25 (Im assuming VCore)    I would back that off a bit. (don't add more than  .1 to Vcore

I would not do a static setting like 1.4  set it to normal and let it fluctuate with workload.  If you set it to a static setting you will wind up way too hot.

0 Likes

@Tednificent 

Have you tried asking on the asus support forum, other users with that board model can probably offer optimal bios settings.

Also is your ram on the mobo QVL.

Ryzen 5 5600x, B550 aorus pro ac, Hyper 212 black, 2 x 16gb F4-3600c16dgtzn kit, NM790 2TB, Nitro+RX6900XT, RM850, Win.10 Pro., LC27G55T..
0 Likes
ryzen_type_r
Challenger

I have the same mobo, what BIOS are you running?  2407 is rock solid for me at stock settings (5800X) and believe me I've been torture testing my build in a non air conditioned room in the middle of a heat wave with all sorts of stress testers and benchmarks running 24/7 trying to kill it lol.

If you're on an older BIOS, I'd suggest updating, clearing CMOS, and keep everything at stock settings to see if keverything's stable.

If it can't even stay running at stock settings, there's something very wrong.  You basically ruled out everything except the video card, CPU, and mobo.  (Seen coupla posts I think on reddit where that Cache Hierarchy error was caused by the video card, go figure)

0 Likes