cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC Processors

Techanderer
Adept I

MSI B550I + Ryzen 5 5600 - second CPU RAM B-channel dead?

My PC won't start with the second ram stick installed. I always got the CPU light on and no Post. I saw inumerous similar problems and tried all the solutions. Sometimes I would get it to start, but it ended up being a non solvable problem. I bought a cheap CPU just to test my hardware and the system booted without any problems with 2 ram slots.

I sent my CPU to RMA and got a new one. It has been working with zero problems until I instaled a neu PSU in my system. It booted a couple of times and stoped to boot again with the second ram slot. Again the CPU light. I will buy again a cheap CPU to test my hardware and if it works, I will send the CPU again to RMA.

Curious fact, that I believe has no connection with the problem: My new PSU - Corsair SF750 worked one day and died. Just got a new one from RMA.

My system is the following:
CPU: Ryzen 5 5600 - 2 months old from RMA
MB: MSI MPG B550I GAMING EDGE MAX WIFI - I bought it refurbished with 12 months warranty that expired 2 months ago
RAM: Corsair Vengance LP 16+16 GB
PSU: Corsair SF750 Platinum
GPU: Asus Strix 970 4GB

If it's the CPU B-Channel again, can it be that I have a crazy board that works in misterious ways and breaks my oder components? Is there any kind fo compatibility problem? 2 CPUs with a B-Channel dead in 3 months seems to much of a coincidence to me...

Can anyone help sorting this out?

0 Likes
1 Solution

SOLUTION: I just loosened the cooler screws a little bit and everything worked again!!!

I have to thank you for all your time and information. It was really helpful to understand the possible causes of the problem.

The solution was much easier. It's even stupid how after so many years of building computers, I made this mistake.

Some people in others forums suggested that if the problem happened right after changing the PSU, that maybe it had something to do with me moving the build and connecting and disconnecting cables caused slight movements between the cooler, CPU and motherboard. When the cooler is to tight, sometimes causes this kind of problems. It was too tight, but still working. This reason also explains the erratic behavior before the problem becomes definitive, with several diagnostic lights turning on until finally it is just the CPU or turning off unexpectedly.

View solution in original post

10 Replies
misterj
Big Boss

Techanderer, I would suggest you talk to your MB vendor. Enjoy, John.

0 Likes

Personally I wouldn't purchase a "Refurbished" Motherboard because you don't know its history or why it was returned even if it passes all the manufacturer's tests before being sold again.

First make sure you have the correct BIOS Version install for the motherboard to recognize and boot with your 5600 processor. you need BIOS version 7c92v19.zip or newer installed:

Ryzen 5 Vermeer 5600 100 3.5GHz 3MB 32MB B0 65 N/A 7C92v19.zip

Since your motherboard only has 2 DIMM Slots on it. You need to make sure the RAM you install is compatible with your Ryzen 5600 and compatible with 2 DIMM Slots on your motherboard by looking at the Motherboard's QVL LIST FOR MEMORY FOR THE RX-5XXX Processors: https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/MPG-B550I-GAMING-EDGE-MAX-WIFI/support#mem

Screenshot 2024-01-11 104110.pngScreenshot 2024-01-11 104200.png

Sometimes if RAM is not 100% compatible it won't work with 2 sticks of  RAM installed but will work with one stick of RAM installed.

So check to see if your RAM is listed in the above QVL LIST FOR RAM and at Corsair for being compatible with your motherboard.

My memory is not listed there. There's only one Corsair kit 32 GB with 3200 Mhz in that list, the CORSAIR CMW128GX4M4E3200C16 ver3.44

My is the Corsair CMK32GX4M2E3200C16 ver 3.31.

Is it normal working until the B-Channel stops working and works again with a new CPU?

- Worked 8 months with a Ryzen 5600 until suddenly it stopped working.

- Worked a month with a Ryzen 1600 and was still working when I switched the CPU.

- Worked 3 months with a new Ryzen 5600 until I switched my PSU for one that is much better than my previous.

0 Likes

So with the old 5600 CPU it worked for 8 months then stopped working and RMA the processor. Then you installed the 1600 and it worked fine until your installed the new 5600 CPU in which it was working normally until you replaced the PSU. After replacing the PSU the issue occurred again, correct?

Hard to say, but just guessing, it seems to be a Motherboard issue where one of the DIMM slots is intermittent.  My guess is based on that you have a Refurbished Motherboard that might have been repaired in the past and resold again under Refurbished status.

So it is either your Motherboard, RAM, or CPU that is causing your problem.

Did you purchase a Set of 2x16gb RAM or are those 2 separate ram sticks purchased separately?

Will the PC boot up each time if you install one RAM Stick in either of the 2 DIMM slots?

Also does BIOS recognize both sticks of RAM when you have both installed?

Here are all the compatible RAM part numbers for your MSI MPG Gaming Edge WiFi: https://www.corsair.com/us/en/c/memory?type=findbycompatibility

I would try to find RAM that is listed  for your Motherboard as being compatible either at MSI or Corsair and then see if the problem occurs.

I would run Windows Memory Diagnostic program to check your RAM to make sure it isn't defective or better yet use Memtest 64.

Otherwise I would replace the Motherboard and install RAM listed as being compatible with your new processor.

After all that I really don't have any other suggestions except maybe stress test your CPU and PSU using OCCT if you are able to boot into Windows.

SOLUTION: I just loosened the cooler screws a little bit and everything worked again!!!

I have to thank you for all your time and information. It was really helpful to understand the possible causes of the problem.

The solution was much easier. It's even stupid how after so many years of building computers, I made this mistake.

Some people in others forums suggested that if the problem happened right after changing the PSU, that maybe it had something to do with me moving the build and connecting and disconnecting cables caused slight movements between the cooler, CPU and motherboard. When the cooler is to tight, sometimes causes this kind of problems. It was too tight, but still working. This reason also explains the erratic behavior before the problem becomes definitive, with several diagnostic lights turning on until finally it is just the CPU or turning off unexpectedly.

Hey, good troubleshooting and thanks for the update.

That is one I wasn't expecting to find as a "Solution" a CPU Cooler being installed too tightly causing Motherboard and CPU issues.

many thank for your solution you save my life i plan to change my motherboard but try this solution it work great

0 Likes
misterj
Big Boss

Techanderer, glad to hear you are no longer seeing the problem but I suspect you have identified a problem with your MB. I had a similar problem some time ago also on an MSI board. After several RMAs (repaired by MSI), I got the board back from them with a broken memory socket. After this RMA they returned a new MB of the lasted revision. It has worked fine since. Enjoy, John.

0 Likes

I've been having some freezes since I found the solution. This time I removed the CPU and placed it again and didn't made much pressure in the cooler screws. I believe the motherboard is not working at 100%. Let's see how it goes in the next days. If it remains stable, I will let it go. Bu tI believe you're right. Thank you for sharing your experience.

0 Likes

Thanks Techanderer, I always tighten my cooler screws till the springs begin to bind. I would encourage you, again, to contact your MB vendor. Enjoy, John.

0 Likes