cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC Processors

Phb42
Journeyman III

Is AMD Ryzen 5 1400 Windows 11 compatible?

Hi,
It seems that my AMD Ryzen 5 1400 is not Windows 11 compatible...!
Is everybody have a response or tested it with Win11 insider?
Many thanks

0 Likes
1 Solution
tjwsly
Journeyman III

After everything, reading between the lines....

MS just announced an upgrade loophole. You won't be able to upgrade windows from windows update. But you can download the ISO and install on unsupported hardware.

it seems MS doesn't want to commit to giving old hardware windows updates. This way they won't be legal required to by saying its unsupported.

However, I think you'll still be able to get updates. Your hardware won't be considered in their implementation of future updates.

Tldr; it will mostly work but do everything "at your own risk".

FYI- running windows 11 on my Zen 1 currently.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
3 Replies
ryzen_type_r
Challenger

I think the preview version of Win 11 has its restrictions relaxed.  I have it installed in a VM on an 8 year old CPU, with no TPM or Secure Boot and it installed and ran fine.  According to MS, these are requirements so it shouldn't be running at all, so I'm inclined to believe that their requirements are for the release version.  IOW, just because the preview works on some older hardware, may not mean the actual release version will.

0 Likes

According to Microsoft Windows 11 CPU Compatibility list for AMD Processors it seems like all processors from Ryzen 2000 Series and up are supported. I don't see any Ryzen 1000 series Processors on the list: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/design/minimum/supported/windows-11-supported-amd-...

This might change before the official Win11 version becomes public.

tjwsly
Journeyman III

After everything, reading between the lines....

MS just announced an upgrade loophole. You won't be able to upgrade windows from windows update. But you can download the ISO and install on unsupported hardware.

it seems MS doesn't want to commit to giving old hardware windows updates. This way they won't be legal required to by saying its unsupported.

However, I think you'll still be able to get updates. Your hardware won't be considered in their implementation of future updates.

Tldr; it will mostly work but do everything "at your own risk".

FYI- running windows 11 on my Zen 1 currently.

0 Likes