Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC Processors

Soul--Reaver
Adept I

Increased idle power usage after bios update

Hi,

I recently updated the bios of my Asus B550-F motherboard from 3002 to 3202. The experiences below are between these 2 bios versions.
The primary change in these 2 bios versions is the AGESA version (AGESA ComboV2PI 1208 > AGESA ComboV2PI 1.2.0.A).

I've got 2 issues.

I noticed that the power usage from the wall has gone up by around 15 watts in idle (measured by standalone hardware power reader). (true for the first but not for the second motherboard). The additional power usage might be because of the GPU (RX7900XTX) based on AMD software provided power and clockspeed readings in windows but unsure how far they can be thrusted. If true this would mean that the bios is causing the GPU to use more power in idle.

From windows going into advanced restart and clicking "UEFI settings" does not work anymore. Sometimes the option is missing but if its present it does not work and just reboots the pc normally instead of going into the bios (true for both motherboards).

I've got 2 systems with this motherboard. While the same motherboard they do seem to be different hardware revisions.
Asus B550-F (both issues)
Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Asus RX7900XTX OC

Asus B550-F (only the second issue)
Ryzen 7 5700G

I've tested both issues on optimized defaults bios settings.

Asus seems to think that the AGESA code is the cause of these issues. So here i am reporting them to AMD

0 Likes
1 Reply
Soul--Reaver
Adept I

Also had rare system freezes since the bios update. I have reverted back to the old 3002 bios now.

Power usage of the system is now back down to the original values.

Guess i will have to see how to rest works in the coming weeks

0 Likes