cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC Processors

Hybird
Journeyman III

Been sold a broken processor

Hello, I Purchased the AMD Ryzen 5 5600G from amazon and it has been sold Dead . It said it had been supplied by AMD and is brand new in the box. I purchased this back in September as a Christmas gift for my son. We got it fitted by a expert we know and nothing happened. No fans were spinning, No lights on motherboard. Nothing. 

Help will be appreciated. 

0 Likes
1 Solution

Open a AMD Warranty Request to RMA the processor back to be replaced as long as the Retailer's Return Date has expired.

If you can still return it back to Amazon that would be the best route but if the Return date has expired than you need to open a AMD Warranty ticket from here: https://www.amd.com/en/registration/warranty-services-portal.html?utm_campaign=gcc-rma&utm_medium=re...

NOTE: Only the original Owner or Purchaser of the CPU can open a AMD Warranty ticket plus you need a copy of your Amazon receipt.

EDIT: Seems like AMD changed the Warranty format. Now you need to open a AMD Account to open a RMA Ticket:

Screenshot 2023-01-05 115200.png

I guess this is one of the Maintenance changes that was done during the Holidays.

View solution in original post

7 Replies

Open a AMD Warranty Request to RMA the processor back to be replaced as long as the Retailer's Return Date has expired.

If you can still return it back to Amazon that would be the best route but if the Return date has expired than you need to open a AMD Warranty ticket from here: https://www.amd.com/en/registration/warranty-services-portal.html?utm_campaign=gcc-rma&utm_medium=re...

NOTE: Only the original Owner or Purchaser of the CPU can open a AMD Warranty ticket plus you need a copy of your Amazon receipt.

EDIT: Seems like AMD changed the Warranty format. Now you need to open a AMD Account to open a RMA Ticket:

Screenshot 2023-01-05 115200.png

I guess this is one of the Maintenance changes that was done during the Holidays.

Well its way past the amazon return date cause i ordered this in september so i think im gonna have to use the AMD warranty Ticket. 

Thanks For The Help.

Something else to consider before going through the warranty process.

First, what motherboard do you have? A LOT of motherboards will require a BIOS update before you can use certain CPUs, especially the "G" series.

Second, are you sure that it's not another component that is bad? Have you tried testing the CPU in a known working system? Are you sure that the MoBo or PSU isn't dead?

Deleted my reply after rereading the Original Post.

@Hybird 

By any chance does the Motherboard turn on with the CPU removed?

From the link below it mentions that the TROUBLE LEDs or BEEP Code should be working. Also your PC Case fans might also run for a brief time.

Reading this PC Guide about powering up a Motherboard without a CPU installed: https://pcguide101.com/motherboard/will-motherboard-post-without-cpu/

Conclusion

Power-On-Self-Test or POST is used to ensure that your computer is properly configured and has all the critical components working fine.

After POST is completed, the computer resumes its booting process, initializing the various systems and programs it needs to work.

Therefore, when the POST process does not detect the CPU, then for starters nothing will be displayed on your monitor. And then subsequently, your motherboard will generate error codes in the form of beeping sound and LED Flashes.

So the answer to the question “will motherboard POST without CPU?”, in the traditional sense is NO. Meaning you will not see the POST screen on your monitor.

However, since beeping sound codes and LED Flashes are also part of the POST process, you could say the motherboard will initiate the POST process but will not succeed in completing it.

So if absolutely no Beeping sounds was heard nor none of the Mobo's Trouble LEDs were lit it is possible:

1-You have a defective Motherboard

2-Defective PSU

3-Motherboard's Power and 24 Pin cables not making good contact with the Motherboard's connectors.

4-Possible dead short shutting down the PSU and preventing outputting power.

So @cybordemon  was correct to check those thing unless the person (expert) already did all those steps.

Deleted my reply.

Hybirb, with no testing how can you declare a solution??? As pointed out by cybordemon there are many things to try.  John.