cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC Processors

Cryooo
Journeyman III

Athlon X4 970 compatibility

I got my hands on a Mpg X570 Gaming Edge Wifi from MSI, and I was wondering, because I have an Athlon X4 970, does my motherboard support it? It is 2ng gen ryzen and upward, which gen is the athlon?

0 Likes
1 Solution

As @FunkZ mentioned the only processors listed on MSI Support for your Motherboard's CPU LIST are all "Ryzen" processors. No Athlons or "A" series APU processors are listed.

So no it won't work in your MSI MPG X570 Gaming Edge WiFI motherboard. It might fit in the socket but the Motherboard won't recognize it nor boot up with it installed since there is no BIOS version to support it.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
FunkZ
Grandmaster

I would think so, because it's an AM4 processor, however it's not on MSI's supported list. You may want to contact MSI to confirm.

https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/MPG-X570-GAMING-EDGE-WIFI/support#cpu

Ryzen R7 5700X | B550 Gaming X | 2x16GB G.Skill 3600 | Radeon RX 7900XT
Ryzen R7 5700G | B550 Gaming X | 2x8GB G.Skill 4000 | Radeon Vega 8 IGP
Ryzen R5 5600 | B550 Gaming Edge | 4x8GB G.Skill 3600 | Radeon RX 6800XT
0 Likes
johnnyenglish
Big Boss

Although its a AM4 part, CPU QVL for that board doesn't seem to support it. It shows Pinnacle and Raven ridge support but not Bristol Ridge.

To be fair, its a bad pair... a very low end CPU with a high end Board so they didn't want to waste BIOS "precious space". 

AM4 has/had a pretty long life and board vendors had to drop support for older/weaker CPUs to make way for recent releases like the 5700X3D

The Englishman

Yeah, the reason of picking the cpu is not due to my lack of knowledge, rather because I got the board for free and it has been tampered with, as in it was broken and someone fixed it by soldering the capacitors that broke off. I would buy a processor more suited, however I am unsure of the length of  life of the board. However I still asked MSI just in case it is supported, thanks for ya’lls help

0 Likes
Dragokar
Forerunner

That's a Bristol Ridge based CPU and the most modern that supports it is a B450 based motherboard, but even then you need to check the compatibility list before using it.

0 Likes

As @FunkZ mentioned the only processors listed on MSI Support for your Motherboard's CPU LIST are all "Ryzen" processors. No Athlons or "A" series APU processors are listed.

So no it won't work in your MSI MPG X570 Gaming Edge WiFI motherboard. It might fit in the socket but the Motherboard won't recognize it nor boot up with it installed since there is no BIOS version to support it.