cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC Processors

walvest
Adept II

9900X CPU Makes Music Production Impossible

I’ve discovered that the essential licensing software for music production, iLok License Manager, does not run on the 9900X. Additionally, the DAW program Cakewalk, while it installs on the 9900X, does not function properly when executed. UA Connect, which is necessary to use UAD plugins, also fails to run. Since many programs, virtual instruments, and plugins rely on iLok License Manager, it is currently impossible to produce music on the 9900X.

I’ve seen other users on Reddit experiencing the same issues with the 9900X and 9950X. It’s surprising to see such problems with well-established programs like iLok and Cakewalk, which have been consistently updated and have run smoothly on any computer until now. I hope AMD can provide a solution to this issue soon.

240 Replies

Thanks, OregonVideoPhotography. ASUS recently released this:

PRIME B650M-A AX II BIOS 3040
Version 3040
Beta Version
13.05 MB
2024/09/18

1.Updated to AMD AGESA PI 1.2.0.2.
2.Phase in AMD cTDP to 105W option for particular processors.

John.

0 Likes

Think that any update that works will be released in October.

0 Likes

OregonVideoPhotography, there a solution that works for one user above. It requires purchase of an iLok USB stick for storing the license. John.

0 Likes
walvest
Adept II

The AMD AGESA 1.2.0.2 BIOS version has been updated(Gigabyte). I’ll need to test it soon. Hopefully, the issue will be resolved.

0 Likes

iLok is refering to the AGESA ComboAM5 1.2.0.2A.

Apparently to come early November.

I hope the one you mention will fix it but I doubt it.

0 Likes
stegeocan
Adept I

I updated to AGESA 1.2.0.2 a week or so ago, and it didn't help.  AGESA 1.2.0.2A is the one we need to wait for, but there is no telling how long we might have to wait for that.

In the meantime though, I can confirm that the iLok Gen 3 USB has worked for me.  My four Neural DSP plugins work perfectly now with the license on the USB.

I don't have any broken plugins from other manufacturers, so can't say for sure it would work for all, but I imagine it would.

You'd still need the PACE service running so would need to have installed the patched service exe, and the patched license manager (5.10.0 B1)

0 Likes
Riley_Thomas
Adept I

Hi Walvest,

I saw some comments about iLok License Manager, Cakewalk, and UA Connect not working with the Ryzen 9 9900X. There seems to be a compatibility issue at launch.

If you like you can open a AMD SUPPORT TICKET in parallel and ask them what might be incompatible with your Processor and your software from here: https://www.amd.com/en/forms/contact-us/support.html

However, there are reports of fixes being released by some developers. Did you try updating iLok or contacting UA support for their software? Maybe there's a workaround available while a permanent solution is implemented.

I also suggest contacting software developers for assistance. If you have already done what is the outcome. I am eager to know about the updated status from your side.

0 Likes

Hello Riley,

Most users in this thread have reached out to their software suppliers as well as iLok/PACE. From July through September, the software companies labeled these compatibility issues as isolated, attributing them to user-specific problems. It wasn’t until early September that iLok/PACE confirmed the issue. While some suppliers began to address it openly, others continued sending promotional material as if everything was working perfectly for all users.

Personally, I gave up after contacting five software suppliers, AMD, and iLok, informing them that their software wasn’t functioning on the 9900X/9950X. Unfortunately, they were all in complete denial and were unable to resolve or even acknowledge the problem. Its marketing first and cosumers support later ....

Dotje
Adept II

The AGESA AMD microcode is installed on my 9900X, but there’s still no improvement with the ILOK/ PACE issue. I’ve applied the update to AMD AGESA 1.2.0.2, which introduces a major feature: support for AMD TDP options ranging from 65W to 105W.

0 Likes

iLok is refering to the AGESA ComboAM5 1.2.0.2A.

Apparently to come early November.

0 Likes

Dotje, have you tried the iLok USB? John.

0 Likes

I tried the iLok USB. No luck...

0 Likes

AP2, thanks, but please post more information. Exactly what did you try? What were the symptoms of "No luck..."? Did you read the post above about using the iLok USB? Thanks, John.

0 Likes

iLoc told me that sometimes on some systems the USB works (did not say what system) and on other systems, no it does not. Will just wait as The Orchestra and Play are pretty close to Opus. Wife has hip replacement on Tuesday, and that takes all my time. So late October or early November would be ok for me.

0 Likes

Thanks, OregonVideoPhotography, hope all goes well with your wife. John.

0 Likes
AP2
Adept II

So, have we all just given up?

0 Likes

Early November is when we can expect a resolution to this mess.

A new Bios AGESA ComboAM5 1.2.0.2A is currently in testing phase and will be released once confirmed to be stable.

AP2, has anyone tried disabling AVX512? John.

0 Likes

Yes I did, it didn't fix anything.

0 Likes

Thanks, shredding_J. I would really like to see how you did it. Please post a screenshot from BIOS where you disabled AVX512. Thanks, John.

0 Likes
Lukas108
Adept II

New iLok build is available to download on main site. Zen 5 fixes included. Now, we need to wait for  AGESA ComboAM5 1.2.0.2A

Lukas108_0-1728546089222.png

0 Likes

Thanks, Lukas108. Please tell us what is not working and why the need to wait for a new AGESA. Thanks much, John.

0 Likes

I just tried, but everything keeps crashing except for the ones that have updated their installers. For example, LiquidSonics released new installers, and they’re working fine.

let's hope that the AGESA update will come asap.

0 Likes

Thanks, giacomopasquali. Please post the Details tab of a few Critical errors found in the Event Viewer. Thanks much, John.

0 Likes

Yeah, same here. Just tried my UAD plugins and they still crash Reaper.

Waiting for AMD to clean this mess with the AGESA ComboAM5 1.2.0.2A BIOS Update.

0 Likes

I installed the latest Ilock, and all the plugins I've tested so far seem to work (besides the LA2A for some reason made reaper crash)... 

For some reason, they all do work now for me as well. Except the LA2A Tube one, sound city studio, Hitsville Reverb, UAD Piano and both Schwabe clippers. The rest work just fine.

0 Likes

Yup that LA2A just closes down Reaper that's it... Very annoying!

It seems that Ivory 3 (Synthogy) is still not working.

0 Likes

Did the iLoc update and Opus still fails. Play, RA, and Pianos still work.

0 Likes
shredding_J
Adept I

Could be because of a certain VST..., but do you guys get constant crashes in Reaper without error messages? 

0 Likes
Evilb666
Journeyman III

Hello mates, 

I'm the new guy. I also have massive problems with iLok in conjunction with Cubase on a Ryzen 9 9950x. 

Cubase crashes every time I try to load an iLok-protected VSTi or plugin into Cubase. Without any error message or similar.

This makes it completely impossible for me to work with this machine, which I bought because my old PC died. 

iLok writes the following:

1000026594.jpg

I have contacted all possible supports and nobody could help me. 

AMD support wrote me today that I have to wait for the patch that will be released "at the beginning of November". However, this is still a long time away and there is no guarantee that this patch will actually fix the problem.

This is really disastrous for me and I really hope that AMD will hurry up. I paid a lot of money for the new PC. Like all of you here probably. 

I have a few upcoming releases that I need to finish.

"

Same thing for me. Old pc 14yo couldn't handle all the vst's, looking at AMD and thinking this 9700x looks like a beast for audio production. Before the "patch" I couldn't even install the Volt 2 interface or use any UAD plugins. Now it works for some but not all plugins and constant crashing without error message. I guess we have to wait until November. I'm glad I didn't took apart my old PC or used it's parts so I can still go back to it.

I haven't tried them all yet, but the three I use the most (Flatline 2, Slate Digital and worst of all for me: Vienna Instruments Pro) exit Cubase directly. There's not even a warning. 

Unfortunately, my old PC was beyond repair, so now I can't work at all. An absolute horror scenario comes true.

0 Likes

That sucks man!

When the update comes, make sure you've watched how to update your BIOS for your specific motherboard. 

If you Motherboard is ASUS make sure you have registered it and have downloaded the MyASUS app.

Everyone is going to have to make sure you are checking with your specific motherboard manufacture for each will have a different file probably.

0 Likes
Evilb666
Journeyman III

Is there any chance of getting something like a notification when the patch is released?

0 Likes

Hardly to say. I have opened tab in my browser for my specific MOBO, and I look there sometimes to see if new BIOS release is available. https://pl.msi.com/Motherboard/MAG-X670E-TOMAHAWK-WIFI/support

Ok, I'll probably do it that way too. Thank you.

0 Likes