cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC Processors

kdn
Adept I

5600x detected by BIOS but unable to boot into Windows

Upgraded from Ryzen 5 3400G to Ryzen 5 5600x.

PC Specs :
CPU - Ryzen 5 5600X
GPU - RX6600xt 8GB
Mobo - TUF Gaming B450m Pro S
RAM - 2x8GB XPG D50 3600MHz
SSD - 256GB M.2 PCIe 3.0
OS - Windows 10

Problem : 3400G works and boots into windows. However, new 5600x is unable to boot into Windows 10(BSOD) but posts and is detected by BIOS.

I tried :

1. Clearing CMOS

2. Using single RAM (8GB 3600MHz)

3. Reseating CPU

4. CSM/UEFI in BIOS

5. Upgrading BIOS to newest version (4402)

Anyone faced this issue that knows a possible solution? Possibly a dead CPU? Tried with newer motherboards but same outcome in both X570 and B550.

0 Likes
1 Solution
kdn
Adept I

UPDATE

Sold it to someone for $38 (I bought it for less)
In the end he found out that 2 out of the 6 cores were faulty. Disabled 2 of the cores in BIOS to boot into Windows so it's running at only 4C8T now and stress test runs fine!

Even after going through all the troubleshooting, never in a hundred years would I have figured out to disable the faulty cores in the BIOS so good for him

So to anyone that comes across this thread in the distant future looking for solutions to the same problem, maybe consider disabling the cores and working from there? 
420511862_1530342340871277_3589877253916833261_n.png

View solution in original post

19 Replies

what is the exact BSOD Error that it is showing when it tries to boot into Windows 10?

Have you tried to use Windows Troubleshooting Menu - Startup repairs?

Just restart your PC three times when it starts booting into Windows. The next time it should automatically enter the Windows Diagnostic mode. Click on troubleshooting and then on the Troubleshooting Menu click on "Startup"

That will set Windows 10 Registry and Boot menu so that it will enter Windows.

NOTE: If you have been using the same Windows Drive on all of your motherboards with the same results then it seems like it is a issue with your Windows Drive and the new Processor.

Otherwise a Clean Windows installation with the new processor might be you last resort. Make sure you erase all partitions and allow Windows Installation to create all of the Windows 10 partitions. Also make sure your Windows drive is GPT and not legacy MBR.

kdn
Adept I

Thanks for your reply! The 5600X shows no sign of booting into Windows. It is stuck in the BIOS menu and any attempts of booting into Windows will be met with a several restarts and a BSOD with error code 0xc0000001. When I press F1 to enter Recovery Environment, BSOD with error code 0xc0000098 appears with file \BCD. Safe mode and the other modes do not work and it bootloops to the BSOD 0xc0000001.

I have attempted reinstalling windows using a USB containing the Windows 10 ISO but the 5600X refuses to even boot into windows installation and bootloops. I have tried all the options listed on the BSOD with the same results. 
I tried with 3400G and it works fine and is able to boot into the windows installation normally.

I certainly hope that it is a software issue and not a hardware issue.

0 Likes

Thanks for the update.

Yes, BCD is the part of Windows that is used to boot into Windows. If that is corrupted Windows will never be able to boot.

According to Microsoft BSOD Bug Check 0x1: https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/drivers/debugger/bug-check-0x1--apc-index-mismatc...

Cause

The most common cause of this bug check is when a file system or driver has a mismatched sequence of calls to disable and re-enable APCs. The key data item is the Thread >CombinedApcDisable field. The CombinedApcDisable field consists of two separate 16-bit fields: SpecialApcDisable and KernelApcDisable. A negative value of either field indicates that a driver has disabled special or normal APCs (respectively) without re-enabling them. A positive value indicates that a driver has enabled special or normal APCs too many times.

Resolution

You can resolve this problem by using WinDbg or by using basic troubleshooting techniques.

Accord to Microsoft BSOD error 0x98:

Bug Check 0x98: END_OF_NT_EVALUATION_PERIOD

The END_OF_NT_EVALUATION_PERIOD bug check has a value of 0x00000098. This bug check indicates that the trial period for the Microsoft Windows operating system has ended.

Cause

Your installation of the Windows operating system is an evaluation unit with an expiration date. The trial period is over.

Does beginning to sound like it might be your processor at fault since it works fine with the old processor. Unless the your Windows drive in not compatible with your new processor.

I highly suggest you open a AMD SUPPORT - WARRANTY Ticket and see if they believe you need to RMA your processor to be checked or replaced from here: https://www.amd.com/en/forms/contact-us/support.html

Please post back if you RMA your new processor.

0 Likes

Thanks for your help!

I was really hoping that it was a software/BIOS issue since the CPU is out of warranty. The CPU does not have bent or damaged pins at all. The confusing part is that the motherboard recognizes and shows the CPU information.

Worse case scenario, I'll take the loss and purchase another CPU. I just don't want to waste a perfectly good 5600X without trying my best to save it.

20240131_152339.jpg

You mentioned you had the same results with other different Motherboards with the same hardware except using the new processor.

Here is your Motherboard Specs, the one you posted concerning the M.2 slots:

Storage
Total supports 2 x M.2 slot(s) and 4 x SATA 6Gb/s ports
3rd/2nd/1st Gen AMD Ryzen™/ 2nd and 1st Gen AMD Ryzen™ with Radeon™ Vega Graphics :
1 x M.2_1 socket 3, with M Key, Type 2242/2260/2280 (PCIE 3.0 x4 and SATA modes) storage devices support
Athlon™ with Radeon™ Vega Graphics Processors :
1 x M.2_1 socket 3, with M key, type 2242/2260/2280 storage devices support (SATA mode)
3rd/2nd/1st Gen AMD Ryzen™/ 2nd and 1st Gen AMD Ryzen™ with Radeon™ Vega Graphics/ Athlon™ with Radeon™ Vega Graphics Processors :
Support Raid 0, 1, 10
AMD B450 chipset :
1 x M.2_2 socket 3, with M key, type 2242/2260/2280/22110 storage devices support(PCIE 2.0 x4)*2
4 x SATA 6Gb/s port(s),

Make sure in BIOS the M.2 -1 Slot where your Windows Drive is connected to is set for PCIe 3.0 in BIOS or check all the M.2 BIOS Settings to see if there are any that might be changed to help your SSD to be work with your new processor.

M.2-1 Slot is the slot controlled by your processor and not by the AMD Chipset drivers.

according to your Motherboard Specs slot M.2 - 1 is PCIe 3.0 and M.2-2 is PCIe 2.0.

As a last resort to eliminate your SSD as the culprit I would  try to connect, temporarily, a SATA  HDD or SATA SSD and see if it boots into Windows without issue. If it does then you know it has something to do with your Windows SSD and BIOS or new Processor.

It is possible that your SSD is compatible with your old processor but not your new processor since both are the ones that enables M.2-1 slot on your motherboard.

NOTE: Make sure the Flash Drive you are using is formatted correctly when using it as your Windows Installation device. 

I always use a old Microsoft Windows 7 USB/DVD Download Tool to automatically format and install the Windows ISO on a Flash drive: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/windows-usb-dvd-download-tool

Seems like the link to download the tool from the above link has been deleted by Microsoft but here is another link where you can download the tool: https://windows-7-usb-dvd-download-tool.en.softonic.com/

You probably will need to install an older version of NET 2.0 to get it to work. The new link I just posted also has a link to download MS NET 2.0.

It still works for me, even in Windows 11 OS.

There is also a more newer type called RUFUS that is very good also.
0 Likes

M.2-1 Slot is the slot controlled by your processor and not by the AMD Chipset drivers.

Speaking of the M.2 drive, it does not seem to appear in the BIOS when the 5600X is installed. I have my windows installed on that specific M.2 SSD.

Maybe a potential solution is to boot from an normal SATA SSD with windows installed? I did not know that the M.2_1 was controlled by the processor. 

20240131_152327.jpg

Yes, look at your Motherboard's Specs again:

3rd/2nd/1st Gen AMD Ryzen™/ 2nd and 1st Gen AMD Ryzen™ with Radeon™ Vega Graphics :
1 x M.2_1 socket 3, with M Key, Type 2242/2260/2280 (PCIE 3.0 x4 and SATA modes) storage devices support

While the Motherboard's  CHIPSET Drivers controls the M.2-2 slot:

AMD B450 chipset :
1 x M.2_2 socket 3, with M key, type 2242/2260/2280/22110 storage devices support(PCIE 2.0 x4)*2

Well it seems like you found your problem. It is your Windows SSD not being compatible with the new processor or the processor is defective.

Yes try using a SATA SSD then try installing Windows on the SATA SSD or a SATA SSD with Windows installed. If it works then you know it is either the SSD is not compatible or your Processor is defective and not enabling the M.2-1 slot.

NOTE: But I see in Boot Priority and does show your M.2 drive, doesn't it?

0 Likes

It should be able to atleast boot into the Windows Installation ISO from the USB, even if the M.2 SSD can't be accessed by the CPU right? At this point I'm leaning more towards the CPU being defective than it being an SSD problem as I've tried all the trobleshooting steps, all with the same results.

0 Likes

Then open a AMD SUPPORT - WARRANTY and give them all the steps you have taken with the new processor and see if they recommend for you to RMA your processor.

Unless you are not the original Owner of the processor or you have had it for longer than 3 years it is still under Warranty by AMD if you purchased the processor in a Official AMD Retail Box.

But if it is Pre-owned then you have no AMD Warranty or it is older than 3 years or it is considered to be a OEM/TRAY Processor that didn't come in a Official AMD Retail Box.

Does look like the part of the CPU that controls the M.2 slot might be defective on the new processor. just guessing though.

0 Likes

If you already tried another CPU in the system and it works while the same CPU in another board with the same bad results. Well....

You could be facing a damaged CPU. Check the pins carefully to see if nothing is missing, bent or broken.

Have you tried disabling DOCP/XMP? Worth a try if you have not. (just because you mention single stick at 3600)

Good Luck

The Englishman
0 Likes
kdn
Adept I

UPDATE

Sold it to someone for $38 (I bought it for less)
In the end he found out that 2 out of the 6 cores were faulty. Disabled 2 of the cores in BIOS to boot into Windows so it's running at only 4C8T now and stress test runs fine!

Even after going through all the troubleshooting, never in a hundred years would I have figured out to disable the faulty cores in the BIOS so good for him

So to anyone that comes across this thread in the distant future looking for solutions to the same problem, maybe consider disabling the cores and working from there? 
420511862_1530342340871277_3589877253916833261_n.png

I am just as surprised as you are.

I guess your processor was preowned or used, correct?

Anyways, Thanks for the interesting update on the processor.

How did your friend figure out 2 cores were defective if he wasn't able to boot into Windows?

Just using BIOS to disable a core one at a time to see if it booted up?

Asking because that could be a good troubleshooting method to use in the future with other Users to determine if a processor is defective or not.

Well for $38.00 probably wouldn't even pay the full amount of tax on a similar new processor (-: .

0 Likes

Really appreciate your help! Yes I bought the processor used (semi-faulty) and tried to fix it.

I think he tried disabling one core at a time in the BIOS until he found the ones that were faulty.
The buyer actually wanted a CPU for his 2nd PC and wanted to try his luck in fixing the 5600X. He even told me he stumbled across this very thread!

It was honestly a win-win situation, he gets a 4C8T 5600X and I got rid of a faulty 5600X that I couldn't fix myself + some change. 

BTW I'm planning to get a used 3600x for $70 by this week

Wow.

This thread went from "new 5600x is unable to boot into Windows" to "sold it to someone for $38 (I bought it for less)"

And you never thought it worth mentioning this was a used processor you got dirt cheap?

Ryzen R7 5700X | B550 Gaming X | 2x16GB G.Skill 3600 | Radeon RX 7900XT
Ryzen R7 5700G | B550 Gaming X | 2x8GB G.Skill 4000 | Radeon Vega 8 IGP
Ryzen R5 5600 | B550 Gaming Edge | 4x8GB G.Skill 3600 | Radeon RX 6800XT
0 Likes

This thread went from "new 5600x is unable to boot into Windows" to "sold it to someone for $38 (I bought it for less)"

I mentioned  the 5600x was "new" as in a new replacement for my old 3400G, I even mentioned that the CPU was out of warranty.

And you never thought it worth mentioning this was a used processor you got dirt cheap?

I don't see how the price changes anything... the CPU was still faulty regardless.

0 Likes

Your first post stated "new". It wasn't until your third post when you stated it was out of warranty. And if it was an OEM tray processor it only has a 30 day warranty, so it could have been new and yet still out of warranty.

It all comes down to providing as much detail up front when asking for help troubleshooting. The fact that you purchased a $299 MSRP processor for less than $38 is pertinent information because it informs the reader you are dealing with a questionable piece of hardware. Have you never heard the phrase, "if the deal seems too good to be true"...

Ryzen R7 5700X | B550 Gaming X | 2x16GB G.Skill 3600 | Radeon RX 7900XT
Ryzen R7 5700G | B550 Gaming X | 2x8GB G.Skill 4000 | Radeon Vega 8 IGP
Ryzen R5 5600 | B550 Gaming Edge | 4x8GB G.Skill 3600 | Radeon RX 6800XT
0 Likes

Thank you so much for your valuable input! :))

0 Likes

now i'm scared buying used 5600x lolol.

0 Likes

Don't worry too much as mine was an isolated case... CPUs in general are more resilient than you'd probably think :))