cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC Processors

2600X OC 2 cores more than 4.2Ghz

Dear,

I'm having performance problems with a game called CS GO.

Somehow none of my hardware get's used all the way, I have lot's of CPU headroom ~70%, GPU depending on map 50%-20% and ram ~60% not used.

So I asume the game CS GO does can not use multi core processors very well.

I'm wondering if it is possible to OC 1 or 2 cores to more than 4.2 Ghz ?

With me they all run on ~4.2 Ghz but this does not seem to be enough or this game is so poorly maintained that it does not work properly with

newer hardware.

I just want to maintain 144 FPS, however I get lot's of FPS drops. This is also map related, so on some maps I get 144FPS the whole time and on others almost never, than it just fluctuates between 100-144 FPS.

My GPU is a GTX 980Ti / CPU 2600X / RAM 16GB 2966Mhz / Windows 10

I have the latest bios, drivers, updates, etc. installed

Thanks

Sebastian

0 Likes
10 Replies

I made a video where you can see the behaviour of the game on a trouble map.

I'm recording now, so CPU / GPU / RAM usage is higher than normal; but still you can see nothing is used all the way and FPS is not the desired 144.

https://filetransfer.io/data-package/OzBDjgrb

0 Likes

prodoctor1987, please post a screenshot of Ryzen Master (RM).  Are you interested in OCing?  What  does 'all the way' mean to you?  What power plan are you running?  Did you DL your AMD drivers from the AMD Driver DL site and none other?  Here are your processor specifications:

2600X.jpg

Thanks and enjoy, John.

0 Likes

Hello, well I'm interested in the possibility to OC the  2 cores of the CPU by AMD itself higher than 4.2Ghz via the precision boost overdrive technology if the problem of this game is that it can not use multiple cores. I have the driver from the AMD website.I use the top performance plan in W10. I mean with "all the way" that nothing is used 100% so overload is not the cause of FPS drops or low FPS. All my other games work normal exept this one.

Ryzen master Screenshot.jpg

0 Likes

prodoctor1987, I do not understand.  Maximum Boost Clock is 4.2 GHz and all cores are running 4.2.  It is hard to see with a large portion of RM transparent but the only suggestion I can make is to raise VDDRC SOC a tenth of a volt or so (try 1.0 Volt).  Please DL and post a screenshot of Taiphoon Burner (free, Google it).  I assume your W10 is not in English.  What 'top performance plan' are you running?  You probably should be running Ryzen Balanced plan but could try Ultimate.  Also get GPU-Z (free) and post a screenshot.  Enjoy, John.

0 Likes

Hello Misterj,

Yes I know it's running 4.2Ghz. But my question is if it is possible to have 1 or 2 cores running much higher. This is more a question for AMD itself. I want to know if they can update their precision boost overdrive so it can let 4 cores run 3.6Ghz or even shut them down and than raise 1-2 cores to a much higher frequency than 4.2Ghz.

This question is related to the "CS GO" game wich I think can not use a lot of cores. I'm not sure about this, so I also want to know if AMD can test this game.

The ultimate performance plan from windows 10 is something "new" and needs to be activated by the user.

How to Turn on the Windows 10 Ultimate Performance Power Plan - YouTube

I do not need anything balanced, I'm using my computer as a gaming rig and it should run without any power limitations or adjustments.

All these power optimisations are great for regular desktop computers or office computers but I have a  self build gaming computer and I'm personally also not a fan of constant voltage and frequency switching.

Ryzen Master pic uploaded

Imgur: The magic of the Internet

GPU-Z screenshot

http://gpuz.techpowerup.com/18/12/20/f6u.png

Thanks

Sebastian

0 Likes

prodoctor1987, have you tried OCing the core clock by core?  I am not an OCer so do not know.  Open one of the Profiles (tabs at the bottom) and give it a go.  Please post you screenshots using the image icon at the top of the reply window.  Just my opinion, but I doubt you are going to talk AMD into extending

their maximum boost clock.  I am sure you are aware you will void your warranty by OCing.  Have you run the Ryzen balanced power plan?  If not you probably do not have the chip set drivers from AMD Driver Download site (only) - please install them.  Have you tried the Ultimate power plan?  It is mainly for Threadripper, has been around awhile but worth a try.  You need to investigate the 1.1 in the Bus Interface window.  Mine says 3.0.  Use the '?'.  I do not work for AMD and I suspect most helping here do not.  Enjoy, John.

0 Likes

the "?" is for a test to run by GPU-Z, all works normal in my computer as intended. I do not want to OC myself either, on the net people that try to OC themselfs do not get any better results anyhow.

Maybe someone from AMD will look into this thread or someone with extended know how about this game and the cores it uses.

0 Likes

Ok, so after even more testing after getting a lot of suggestions from AMD support, I came to the conclusion that CS GO does use my hexacore, I tryed with 2 - 4 and 6 cores and only with the latter I had the performance I had. So now the only question remains is why the hell does CS GO not use more processing power to get the FPS higher and stable. I also noticed a direct link from FPS drops that is related to the CPU speed. So the lower the speed, the more FPS drops I get.

I can not understand this game, normally there is a bottleneck that keeps your machine from performing, so rendering higher FPS; however for this game there is none on my PC.

Overclocking the 2600X is also something I'm not gonna do, for reasons I already mentioned.

0 Likes

prodoctor1987, have you discussed all this with the game company?  What speed is your video card slot actually running?  Enjoy, John.

0 Likes

the game company is not supportive, they give you the regular stuff and even say; brace yourself, I should upgrade my system. It's just bla bla bla we can not help bye. PCIe 16X 3.0

0 Likes