cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC Graphics

sandstorm112
Journeyman III

XFX RX 570 4GB Crossfire with XFX RX 570 8GB? Will this work?

So, I'm getting my new PC ready, and I just found out about a wonderful thing called Crossfire. I saw the performance of dual 8GB RX 570s was on par with RTX 2070's and 2060 Supers. Would it be possible to crossfire a 4GB and a 8GB card? Or do I have to have another 4GB for crossfire to work? Does my card even support Crossifre????

0 Likes
1 Solution

You would lose 4gb of memory on the 8gb if you crossfire and they will both run at the speed of the slowest card. 

There are very few games that work or even really benefit from crossfire. Both AMD and Nvidia have abandoned Crossfire and SLI.

So unless you have that select few games that will benefit it likely is not worth the trouble. Also know that you likely will have to run very old drivers as it has been a long time since crossfire worked right in the drivers. 

This is the list of compatible games, it doesn't mean that they all work as many have lost support by the developers and or in the AMD drivers. Also the performance gain on the vast majority is minute. Very few games were ever optimized enough to have really good crossfire support, but there are a few. 

https://amdcrossfire.fandom.com/wiki/Crossfire_Game_Compatibility_List

Unless you already have 2 cards I highly recommend you don't buy a second. Put you money toward a single card solution that meets your needs. Support is discontinued and only gets worse from here. 

View solution in original post

0 Likes
2 Replies

You would lose 4gb of memory on the 8gb if you crossfire and they will both run at the speed of the slowest card. 

There are very few games that work or even really benefit from crossfire. Both AMD and Nvidia have abandoned Crossfire and SLI.

So unless you have that select few games that will benefit it likely is not worth the trouble. Also know that you likely will have to run very old drivers as it has been a long time since crossfire worked right in the drivers. 

This is the list of compatible games, it doesn't mean that they all work as many have lost support by the developers and or in the AMD drivers. Also the performance gain on the vast majority is minute. Very few games were ever optimized enough to have really good crossfire support, but there are a few. 

https://amdcrossfire.fandom.com/wiki/Crossfire_Game_Compatibility_List

Unless you already have 2 cards I highly recommend you don't buy a second. Put you money toward a single card solution that meets your needs. Support is discontinued and only gets worse from here. 

0 Likes

Thanks so much. I haven't bought a second card yet, but I had no clue it would limit itself! Definitely reconsidering the Crossfire thing.

0 Likes