cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC Graphics

hitbm47
Forerunner

Tip - possible freeze solution for Dedicated PhysX card.

Hi everyone

If you are a Radeon user whom also uses a dedicated PhysX nvidia card, you very likely want to keep "Hardware accelerated GPU scheduling" disabled in the "Graphics Settings" on Windows 10.

As far as I am aware it has not been implemented for Radeon yet; although I think it is how Radeon works on a technical level already; but, it seems it was the cause of my games with fluids/cloth PhysX freezing up every few seconds. I have not been willing to enable it again for testing, since currently I am without the freezing problem since I disabled it.

It was happening with,

- FX 8350 and AM3 990FXA motherboard (using this again, because Ryzen and my Polaris/GCN RX 480 is still experiencing the driver crashing/corruption on my Ryzen 5 1600, even with the latest 21.11.1 driver).

- RX 480 and GTX 1060 3GB.

Hope this can help similar users like me who like Radeon, but enjoy having proper PhysX effects in Killing Floor 2, etc. By the way, wonder when AMD will adapt PhysX, because as far as I know nvidia open sourced it in 2018/2019.

Kind regards

0 Likes
3 Replies
blazek
Volunteer Moderator

Good tip, another one is to set PhysX from auto to GPU only, so it can run on GPU rather than CPU.

Majority of gamers don't need a dedicated physx card though.

amdman
Challenger

This is some great information here, I like to do Frankenstein experiments like this, it's good to know!

I am glad you guys appreciate the information.

Yes, I guess it depends since for me such immersive graphics is a must. Furthermore, I also came from a GTX 260 user over to a Radeon user; years in the past; and did not appreciate the lack of PhysX effects.

But, I am not too concerned about ray-tracing at the moment, because they came really close with rasterization.

Just a heads up, to have physx working on a secondary GPU, that nVidia GPU also has to be connected to your display with a cable. In some games such as Fallout 4, you have to tweak the .ini file to get PhysX working on the secondary GPU.

Kind regards