cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC Graphics

sdurnov
Journeyman III

Sufficient GPU for multi-monitor productivity

Hi! I got a PC with 14 gen i5 (unfortunately AsRock AMD-based barebones are not available in my location). I have 2 displays - 4k+ Huawei MateView and older 2k Benq. Both 60Hz.

I was hoping that iGPU would be enough to run this, but in Windows 11 UI animations are sluggish, I see GPU load 60-100% when opening Task View. If I lower 4k+ resolution to 2k+, and 2k to 2/3 of that, everything becomes smooth. But, of course, I prefer having full resolution with Windows-managed appropriate display scaling.

My question is - which AMD GPU is sufficient with some degree of future-proofing, to run my config perfectly? My typical workload is VS Code, 1-2 browsers with dev tools, few IM apps, video calls, advanced Figma usage. Am I gonna be fine with RX550, or I need RX6500XT or even higher? What if I connect 1 more 4k display?

What kind of parameters I need to look at to measure if it’s enough, or how much extra power will be present for future expansion? I could buy RX7600, but I’m not sure if it will make a difference compared to, let’s say, RX6500XT.

PS: no gaming planned.

0 Likes
1 Reply
FunkZ
Grandmaster

The AMD APUs performance are far ahead of Intel UHD. However if you're buying a dGPU card focus on supporting the display media types you need without using adapters while also staying with current generation for future support.

Ryzen R7 5700X | B550 Gaming X | 2x16GB G.Skill 3600 | Radeon RX 7900XT
Ryzen R7 5700G | B550 Gaming X | 2x8GB G.Skill 4000 | Radeon Vega 8 IGP
Ryzen R5 5600 | B550 Gaming Edge | 4x8GB G.Skill 3600 | Radeon RX 6800XT
0 Likes