cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC Graphics

dddyl
Journeyman III

Ryzen 4750U Lenovo P14s facing temporary iGPU crash upon waking from S3 Sleep (Device ID changing)

This is an ongoing issue with my Lenovo P14s, Ryzen 7 4750U w/ integrated graphics. I'm unsure if this is just a thing with this laptop, or if it's an ongoing issue with many laptops on Windows 11.

Onto the issue!

My display will crash for a split second (static everywhere) upon waking from S3 sleep for the first time after a fresh boot (restart, shutdown + wakeup, hibernate untested). This has been inconvenient, as some apps will not adjust properly after this crash. This crash does not happen on consecutive sleeps / wakes.

This issue will appear with Lenovo provided drivers, Anermine drivers, and the official Adrenaline drivers. Currently running on 22.6.1 Adrenaline drivers from the AMD site, but it has consistently appeared on previous versions too. Using the PRO drivers will give a slightly different result to which I will explain below.

Here is what is discovered so far...

Let's assume my laptop in two states:

State 1: Fresh boot, device has not slept since

State 2: Device has waken from sleep

Here is some info on the hardware ID of the display adapter as well as GPU-Z, demonstrating the differences between each state: https://imgur.com/a/h3oKUiE

So... it's different when waking from sleep?! Looking further into it, I have found two display adapters in Device Manager, with one of them being hidden (code 45, device is not connected). Upon going from State 1 to State 2, the hidden adapter will appear, and the first adapter will be hidden in code 45. This is particularly strange as my laptop only has a single graphics chip (the APU)...

Furthermore, in State 1, if I have the UI installed, the Radeon Pro Software will appear, even if the Adrenaline version is installed...

Whereas in State 2, the UI will return to the Adrenaline version. One thing to note though is that I am unable to install the PRO drivers in this state, so it will install some Adrenaline driver from Windows, or remain as a Basic Display Adapter if I disabled updates. If I install this driver package on State 1, there is a good chance that it will display a black screen and require a hard reboot when entering State 2.

Attempted Fixes

DDU and various driver installations.

BIOS Update/Downgrade ranging from (1.31 to 1.41), if you are to replicate it with a similar device, avoid the 1.37-1.40 versions as it will lock the clock speeds to 1.4 GHz when unplugging or plugging the charger.

I may try Windows 10 once I get my hands on another SSD, but I would prefer to stick to 11 at the moment.

I am unwilling to use S0 Sleep, I have strong negative feelings with Modern Standby, as it introduced worsened battery life and it's device wake is unconfigurable, alongside the fact that it will wake up even if my laptop is closed.

Please give me your insight on how to fix this issue! Much appreciated for taking a look at my post

0 Likes
0 Replies