cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC Graphics

shawn156
Adept II

RX6900XT Low Usage and low FPS on Windows 7

My builds:  CPU :Threadripper : 1920X    GPU  : RX6900XT master    MB:  Aorus Gaming 7    REM  HyperX 16G    

It goes all normal on a FurMarks test either on the FPS or power consumption,  but when it goes to game like total war warhammer and almost every game i have, it's FPS and power consumption goes like 1/3  of usage compare with theory FPS AMD announce.

0 Likes
6 Replies
CaligoVereor
Challenger

I would guess windows 7 is your problem. As far as I know the GPU drivers supported on Windows 7 are quite outdated, not to mention lack of support for other software considering the OS hasn't been supported by Microsoft for a while now. So you not getting the same performance as advertised is not at all surprising considering you're using an outdated OS.

cause 3080 can run quiet well on windows7 so i wanna give a shot to make rx6900xt running on win 7 ,which i got a quite a lot of  coding stuff need to runing on win 7 like Delphi, and Furmark runing normal on win 7 with rx6900XT , problem is when i lauch the game , the usage of GPU is like 70%~80% but the fps just keep like 30~40 fps(which should run like at least 90~110 from the spec) 

0 Likes

The 6000 series sometimes has problems with DX11 games, specifically more CPU intensive games can have the GPU run in "low effort mode". For example, Fortnite typically gets way lower performance than expected in DX11 mode while runs at extremely high framerates in DX12 mode. You mentioned Total War Warhammer and since that game has both DX11 and DX12 modes and is fairly demanding on CPU I'd guess you would need to run it in DX12 mode to get the high framerate that is expected. And since as far as I know DX12 isn't really supported on windows 7 (outside of very specific cases like WoW), like I said, your problem seems to be in running windows 7.

0 Likes

that's not the case i do knew someone actual make rx6900xt run normally on win7,so this is definitely not the case that DX11 impact,cause DX11 could at least run for 240fps on total war warhammer which on my PC is only 80fps

0 Likes

You want to stay on Win 7, then go back to a card that worked for you.

You are obviously using an almost year old driver, (no longer support for Win.7).

Too bad for you.

There will not be any driver improvements for that no longer supported OS.

Ryzen 5 5600x, B550 aorus pro ac, Hyper 212 black, 2 x 16gb F4-3600c16dgtzn kit, NM790 2TB, Nitro+RX6900XT, RM850, Win.10 Pro., LC27G55T..
0 Likes
blazek
Volunteer Moderator

Great specs, any specific reason why you're still on Windows 7? the last update it received was 11 years ago.

0 Likes