cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC Graphics

OnlineToby
Journeyman III

RX 7800 XT taking minutes to POST / not POSTing successful at all (Z790 problem?)

So I just created an account because I saw someone mention a similar problem.

I just bought a 7800 XT and at first I thought it was a power problem, but after giving up troubleshooting and letting my PC turned on for a while I can say: I'm writing this right now after waiting for 10 minutes for my computer to start after looping in POST for 10 minutes telling me via ASUS EZ Debug LED that there is a VGA problem. However as you can see I'm successfully inside my OS now and my GPU is detected and I can even run demanding games without crashes or anything.

My mainboard is an ASUS Prime Z790-P with a 13700KF processor. When swapping to my old graphics card, there is absolutely no problem.

As already mentioned there are several posts online mentioning that their PC isn't booting / POSTing or just taking unusually long after installing a new RX 7X00 graphics card, all of them having Z790 boards.

Is anyone else experiencing this problem / is there a fix for this? Seems like this will need a BIOS Update.

I'm at BIOS Version 1220 with Intel ME version 16.1.27.2176V2 and AMD 23.9.1 GPU driver. (newest available)

Yes, I did a BIOS reset and yes I reseated my GPU and reconnected everything again and again.

0 Likes
15 Replies
Qoojo
Miniboss

If you have the card fully seated and the power connections fully seated, then most likely the issueis  faulty/dead card. So return/exchange to where you bought it. Alternatively, you could try it in a different PC if you have an extra.

0 Likes

Just got my replacement unit. Problem persists unfortunately

0 Likes

In my experience, failing to POST was always poorly seated card or power connector.

Searching the topic, the only other thing was try turning off xmp to troubleshoot as memory training might be causing some long boot issues.

To be clear on the problem, the issue is that you can never boot to the OS? If it takes a long time but you eventually get there. I always turn off windows fast startup, and fast boot in BIOS, as I had issues with windows hanging onto old drivers and things getting messed up.

0 Likes
Mattooooo
Journeyman III

I’ve been having this very same issue with the 7800 xt. At first I thought it was my motherboard’s (ASRock B650M Pro RS) pcie slot but I tried another gpu and it worked. Whenever the 7800 xt is installed the motherboard vga post status light stays on and I get no display. At this point I’m not sure if it’s a bios issue or a driver issue. I might have a faulty card but I haven’t gotten the opportunity to test it in another pc. If you find something out please let me know!

0 Likes
Guerak
Journeyman III

Hi !

Same problem with Rx 7800 xt mba (sapphire), asus tuf b550m and Ryzen 5600x. 

Won't boot, post loop ... 

Reset bios, CMOS erased and there's no change...

I asked a replacement card, we will see soon ...

0 Likes
Guerak
Journeyman III

Hi ! 

Some news about my problem, I looked for a solution today (upgrade Motherboard bios, etc.). But it's the configuration of the PCIe port that makes troubles. I forced the PCIe to use 3.0 instead of "auto" or 4.0 (because the card is 4.0 compatibly). And ... POST OK, Boot OK and the graphic card seems to work perfectly on games and Benchmarks (graphic score of 18508 in Time Spy 3D mark). 

I don't know if it's the card or motherboard fault because my rtx 2700 works fine on that port (and also 4.0 compatibility) but maybe the motherboard used 3.0 instead because the Bios setting was on "auto"...

0 Likes
fikkser
Journeyman III

I also have Rx 7800 xt (hellhound), asus tuf b550m and Ryzen 5600x.

I've just had two successful boots in a row, how? I changed the PCIe from auto to 4.0.

I had the same problem, the computer would not boot, had to use the power button and reboot several times until the motherboard gave a green light. 

tag: 7800 xt doesn't boot 

7800 xt black screen

0 Likes

Had several successful boots until today... started to malfunction again. No solution?

0 Likes

Updated bios and reseated the card, had like 5 good boots in a row. Will report back later. 

0 Likes
Guerak
Journeyman III

Not for me... I will send the graphic card, the motherboard, proc and ram to warranty of the seller for few weeks (same vendor and I bought all of this a year ago). I will post the results when they'll process the tests. 

0 Likes
taigart
Journeyman III

Same problem here for me : https://community.amd.com/t5/graphics-cards/only-7800xt-not-posting-bios-problem-what-amd-did-differ...

There is definitively something going on with the 7800XT and AMD doesn't help here, we are  4 people with the same problem !!!

0 Likes
Guerak
Journeyman III

We didn't talk about a thing... to everyone : What's your PSU ?

Mine is a Corsair RM750M

0 Likes
distron
Journeyman III

Sapphire 7800XT. Random black screen with reboot and VGA LED. OCCT vram test passed, but 3D benchmark gives black screens.

Asus b550, 850w psu.

Return and refund.

\photo_2023-10-27_21-05-57.jpg

0 Likes
talajar
Journeyman III

Late to the game here - but having the same issue. No other solutions were found other than return and pray to the RMA gods?

0 Likes
MatteSa
Journeyman III

Same here. Not posting when GPU mounted, red vga postcheck light doesnt turn off. 

Tried Bios update and downgrade and all of the above.

Contacted ASRock support.

Their theory is an interference between the iGPU an GPU if I understood correctly, should have been solved by flashing bios to latest 2.08 beta.

Executed cleaning the SSD before fresh install of windows. Also no result

Waiting for followup from ASRock support dept. after I given them outcome results of their instructions today.

PowerColor advises to do RMA after cleaning the PCIe slot and connector, reseating and DDU. No result.

Hope to come with more info and/or clues about the issue.

Anyone more ideas?

Specs.

ASRock B650M PG Lightning WiFi

Ryzen 5 7600

Lexar NM790 1tb

GSkill Trident Z5 DDR5-5600 32gb x2

PowerColor RX 7800 XT 16gb HellHound

Delta GPS-850HB

0 Likes