cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC Graphics

MerkAntone
Journeyman III

RX 5500 XT doesn't reach adjusted clock speeds

I've tried everything I could. When I overclock to say 1950MHz, the clock speed only reaches around 1900MHz at the top end. Even if it's a demanding game like cyberpunk it just won't clock up to that speed. I know it's not a thermal issue because core temps reach between 75 - 80C while overall temps don't even reach 70C. 

This kind of thing also happens with older games except even worse. I just recently bought Fallout: New Vegas because I've never played it and always wanted to try it. You would think this GPU would handle this game no problem, which it does, but core clock speeds never reach even 1000MHz. This causes the frame rate to hover around 60 - 70 fps (I have a 144Hz display). I have vertical refresh enabled in display settings and turned off Vsync on all games including the above-mentioned. 

I've already tried MSI afterburner, same issue. Already tried rolling back the Adrenalin software to an earlier version, same issue. Disabled game mode on windows settings, same issue. I noticed this issue happening earlier this year but I can't remember the specific version this started happening on. I feel like this fix is stupid easy but I'm just not finding it. Please help.

Specs

Ryzen 5 1600 AF

RX 5500 XT Asus OC edition

16 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3200MHz

Asrock B450M PRO4 AM4

EVGA 600W 80 Plus

0 Likes
2 Replies

Probably a power limit ? re your oc clock, this link may help to explain. https://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/asrock_rx_5500_xt_chanllenger_4gb/9.htm

FONV game engine has an fps cap, you could unlock it with 'ini. file' tweaks and or Mods.

Guides on steam forum, and some websites had in depth file tweaks.

Low clock speed, probably combo of navi arch.(doesn't run at full clock if not needed/not heavy load) and old/weak graphics engine.

Ryzen 5 5600x, B550 aorus pro ac, Hyper 212 black, 2 x 16gb F4-3600c16dgtzn kit, NM790 2TB, Nitro+RX6900XT, RM850, Win.10 Pro., LC27G55T..
0 Likes

On afterburner, I have the power limit set to +20 and I haven't even touched the voltage. That link certainly answered the question as to why there's a cap and I thank you for that. Now I just need to figure out how to somehow disable it and offer better cooling to the GPU.

I figured since FONV is an old title that some file tweaks would need to be done. 

Thanks for the info man I really appreciate it! I'll do some tweaks and provide an update. 

0 Likes