cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC Graphics

RockTheRedalexandria
Journeyman III

Radeon RX 6900 XT Temp question

So last night I was playing Star Citizen, my Temps on junction was showing 95 Celsius though GPU temp was showing 85 C . My question is as I built this rig about 2 weeks ago.

This is the 1st time I've ever had a GPU that is this powerful. I just wanted to make sure that it's going to be OK at the temps. Now granted it stayed at 95 Celsius or below and never went over 95. I guess my question is should I change my fan CURVE on the GPU or would you say this is normal ?

Some might ask what kind of case I have, Corsair iCUE 5000X RGB Tempered Glass Mid-Tower ATX PC Smart Case - White

My full specs I7 12700k
32 GB ram
Radeon 6900xt Red Devil
1000 Watt power supply
Corsair 360mm radiator

1 Solution
Matt_AMD
Community Manager

Perfectly normal and safe. Maximum junction temperature is 110c, anything below that is fine.

If you would like to reduce temperatures further you have the following options:

• Increase fan speed 
  • Lower the GPU power limit 
  • Undervolt the GPU using either the Auto Undervolt option, or try it yourself in small increments testing stability along the way
  • Improve case airflow, ensure that the heat left in the case by the GPU is exhausted out the rear/top of the chassis

View solution in original post

11 Replies
Matt_AMD
Community Manager

Perfectly normal and safe. Maximum junction temperature is 110c, anything below that is fine.

If you would like to reduce temperatures further you have the following options:

• Increase fan speed 
  • Lower the GPU power limit 
  • Undervolt the GPU using either the Auto Undervolt option, or try it yourself in small increments testing stability along the way
  • Improve case airflow, ensure that the heat left in the case by the GPU is exhausted out the rear/top of the chassis

Thank you,  I don't have much experience when it comes to under volting and things of that nature but I can definitely increase the GPU fans that wouldn't be a problem. 

I just went from a Sapphire RX5700XT to an AMD RX6750XT and had nothing but stability issues this past week since I installed it. It would get too hot and literally shut my entire system down (sometimes sticking the GPU fans at 100%). I have a really cool house as my spouse works shift so the ambient temp in here is cool enough a beer won't sweat. I am not one to overclock and on my last AMD card iterations left them at stock - stable AF.

This reference card though, that was a no-go. Didn't matter (22.5.1's or 22.5.2's), a couple shutdowns a gaming session. Altered my fan curve and fine ever since.

CustomCustomDefaultDefault

Screenshot 2022-06-03 160609.jpgDrag the high end up to 100%, then drag the mid to somewhere in the middle.  Your current fan rpm is too low for the temps you are running.  Tweak it until you can get the temps in check without creating too much noise.  Check out my setup.

You did see the first curve right? That is  where I am at now and it runs fine.

By default AMD set their highest speed ceiling at 73%, anything above 75 audibly turns it it into a leaf-blower

The mere fact that I have to move away from their default setting on their reference card would suggest they sold me an unstable card to start with.

My last 4 cards:

Sapphire RX5700XT

Sapphire RX480XT

Sapphire 4850X2

Gigabyte 3850 IceQ3 (crossfired)

...and I did not have to tweak a **bleep** thing on any of them and they never exhibited any stability issues.

I worked on what would be my first reference card for a week just to get it stable. Even bought a new power supply to eliminate the power supplied from the 12v rails as a possibility.

I have had nothing but "radio silence" on my warranty claim. So I have started the paperwork with Visa (since I pay for purchase protection) and will be filing a complaint with the BBB-Canada this week.

0 Likes

It would get too hot and literally shut my entire system down (sometimes sticking the GPU fans at 100%).

- what temp was it hitting when it crashed? because these cards can handle up to 110c before you should face instability issues.

- Were you getting an error message when it crashed?

Altered my fan curve and fine ever since.

Mere fact that I have to move away from their default setting on their reference card would suggest they sold me an unstable card to start with.

- I'm a bit confused as you seem to be upset that the cards default is set at a bog standard default setting and when you game or push the card the default settings can't handle the load?

- You're not wrong when it comes to the fan noise when hitting the 80% region. I play with headphones on and on occasion I can hear em blaring along with case fans during gaming but nothing too bad.

My last 4 cards: Sapphire RX5700XT Sapphire RX480XT Sapphire 4850X2 Gigabyte 3850 IceQ3 (crossfired) ...and I did not have to tweak a **bleep** thing on any of them and they never exhibited any stability issues.

- The 6000 series cards are hot cards, you can't compare them as much to the previous gen cards. They do more / use more power etc etc  Default settings might be fine on previous gens but I don't know of many people leaving the cards like that. Could be a chance that there is an issue with the card but it doesn't seem to be the case based on what you said. Sounds more like you just pushed the card without tweaking it a bit to keep it cool. You did and now it works as normal.

0 Likes

I run an AIB 6900 XT and during gaming it usually maxes out around 140° F and during synthetic benchmarks 160° F at 300w draw.  My case is a CM HAF932 which arguably has some of the best airflow around.

0 Likes

What percentage of consumers out there today there today do think go in and tweak their setting for voltages and fans? I mean, mine literally will not run stable at "Default", so imagine the "Quiet: setting that would be even more conservative. They should have a 3rd setting called "Oooops" or "Sorry" we sold you an unstable card - here is a more aggressive fan settings curve.

In know the yield is like around 70% on the 7nm process. I do not know what has put their card so close to the threshold for stability. Again, first reference designed card I have purchased through AMD. It appears that the extra $75-100 all theses years I have been throwing at Sapphire, Gigabyte, etc. was well worth it.

0 Likes

You should start your own thread on this.   What do you have for a system?  Case, psu, cpu and cooler, case fans?

0 Likes

https://community.amd.com/t5/graphics/aorus-rx5700xt-fans-completely-stopped-working/td-p/528516/jum...

It is already there. Just writing a more complete summary for Reddit.

0 Likes

Making zero sense and very little info so im out

0 Likes