Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC Graphics

rd
Journeyman III

R7 M265 on a laptop

Hello,

I have a laptop (acer) that has an FX-7500 CPU and two radeon graphics devices. One is the Kaveri device (vendor/product id: 0x1002/0x1309) and the other one is the OPAL XT device (0x1002/0x6604).

I have contacted acer regarding this issue, and they were unhelpful. I do not want to further comment on the way they have handled this issue.

The laptop came with windows installed (currently Windows 10). And both these graphics devices work without problems.

I am olso dual booting the system. The other operating system is NetBSD 9.2 (amd64). Those systems do not share the same HDD, they are on different HDD's. On NetBSD, the kernel was not able to recognize these graphics devices (both Kaveri and OPAL XT). The system was giving an error saying that it could not find the BIOS ROM for these devices. After searching for the BIOS on the system I found the BIOS ROM for the Kaveri device. I revised the kernel driver to use that BIOS ROM. The system is now using the Kaveri graphics device. I can boot the system normally and can use the DRM and the system. I have found the BIOS ROM for the Kaveri device in the ACPI tables of the system.

But I can not find the BIOS ROM for the OPAL XT device.

On Windows 10, I am using the radeon application "Radeon-Software-ADrenalin-2020-21.5.2-Win 10-64bit-Legacy-ASICs-Junw21-LEGACY". This application can find the driver and its BIOS ROM (version of the ROM and all the other information) for the Kaveri device as well as the OPAL device (the Radeon R7 M265).

My question is this. Since the radeon application (Radeon Adrenalin software) is finding the BIOS ROM for both these graphics devices, I was wondering where the application is looking for the BIOS ROM. Is it possible to get information, or pointer where to look for, for the BIOS ROM for the OPAL XT device.

I have looked at 0xC0000 for the BIOS ROM, but no luck. I have looked at the PCI Expansion ROM BAR register, again no luck... I am out of ideas.

If I can get to this information, I could revise the NetBSD kernel driver further and have the kernel use that BIOS to initialize itself use it.

I would very much appreciate any pointers, information on where to look for the BIOS ROM for the OPAL XT device.

Thank you in advance for any information or pointers.

Kind Regards,

Riza Dindir

0 Likes
0 Replies