cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC Graphics

cribboy52
Journeyman III

gpu/workstation compatible

I bought an HP Z230 SFF workstation. It came without a video card.

Will an AMD Radeon R5 430 1GB 64-bit VGA DP GDDR5 NMN1D Video Card Low Profile card run on my Z230 SFF workstation?

If not maybe i can get a recommendation?

thank you so much

cribboy52

0 Likes
2 Solutions

Unless you are having Budget constrains why do want to install a legacy GPU card that isn't supported anymore by AMD driver updates?

but to answer your question as long as your HP motherboard has a PCIe x 16 3.0 x 8 or 16 slot or newer it will be compatible. It probably will be compatible with PCIe x 16 2.0  x 16. For RX series it might run much slower on a PCIe x 16 2.0 slot. but not really sure if it is compatible at PCIe 2.0 slots if that is what your HP Motherboard has on it.

What is the maximum GPU size card you can install in your Mini-PC?

Found this website that shows the best low profile GPU cards for 2024 from both Nivida and AMD:  https://graphicscardhub.com/best-low-profile-graphics-card/

It includes both Non-Supported and Supported GPU cards. All RX Series AMD GPU cards are still supported but the RX 400, 500 & 600 and VEGA GPU cards will have limited support in the future but still be supported by AMD for the time being.

The best of the low profile AMD GPU card in that review is the XFX SPEEDSTER SWFT105 RADEON RX 6400 Gaming Graphics Card

But looking at the driver download section there are no AMD Pro drivers compatible with the above GPU card.

Looks like the RX 500 supports AMD Pro drivers which are optimized for business and professional applications but not games.

The Adrenaline driver is optimized for gaming.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
cribboy52
Journeyman III

Thank you so much for the input. I can use all the help i can get.

I chose the Radeon card for a couple reasons.

1. it's a new card instead of well used and no telling if it will work or not.

2. the card was only $12 new, that works for me.

3. I asked my question of the HP tech support, they said it world work just fine.

4. I have a driver update program that notifies me whenever a new driver is available for whatever hardware i'm working with.

Thank you 

cribboy52

View solution in original post

2 Replies

Unless you are having Budget constrains why do want to install a legacy GPU card that isn't supported anymore by AMD driver updates?

but to answer your question as long as your HP motherboard has a PCIe x 16 3.0 x 8 or 16 slot or newer it will be compatible. It probably will be compatible with PCIe x 16 2.0  x 16. For RX series it might run much slower on a PCIe x 16 2.0 slot. but not really sure if it is compatible at PCIe 2.0 slots if that is what your HP Motherboard has on it.

What is the maximum GPU size card you can install in your Mini-PC?

Found this website that shows the best low profile GPU cards for 2024 from both Nivida and AMD:  https://graphicscardhub.com/best-low-profile-graphics-card/

It includes both Non-Supported and Supported GPU cards. All RX Series AMD GPU cards are still supported but the RX 400, 500 & 600 and VEGA GPU cards will have limited support in the future but still be supported by AMD for the time being.

The best of the low profile AMD GPU card in that review is the XFX SPEEDSTER SWFT105 RADEON RX 6400 Gaming Graphics Card

But looking at the driver download section there are no AMD Pro drivers compatible with the above GPU card.

Looks like the RX 500 supports AMD Pro drivers which are optimized for business and professional applications but not games.

The Adrenaline driver is optimized for gaming.

0 Likes
cribboy52
Journeyman III

Thank you so much for the input. I can use all the help i can get.

I chose the Radeon card for a couple reasons.

1. it's a new card instead of well used and no telling if it will work or not.

2. the card was only $12 new, that works for me.

3. I asked my question of the HP tech support, they said it world work just fine.

4. I have a driver update program that notifies me whenever a new driver is available for whatever hardware i'm working with.

Thank you 

cribboy52