cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC Graphics

bwanajh
Adept I

GPU Scaling Windows 10 Radeon Pro

I just moved to Windows 10 and I cannot get GPU scaling to work.

In Windows 8.1 I was able to easily make my 1080 HDMI TV display as an upscaled 4k desktop. In windows 10, this is no longer possible for some reason. I can select GPU scaling in Radeon Pro, but once selected I am not given any extra resolution option in Windows. In 8.1 selecting GPU scaling would cause Windows to give me higher options for resolutions.

Could anyone help me get my virtual upscale back? I really miss it! I don't want to have to change video cards over something so simple! What have I overlooked? Is this a bug?

Firepro w7100

Radeon Pro Software Version 19.Q1.1

Windows 10 Pro

0 Likes
13 Replies

Would VSR be an option https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/dh-010 

Ryzen 5 5600x, B550 aorus pro ac, Hyper 212 black, 2 x 16gb F4-3600c16dgtzn kit, NM790 2TB, Nitro+RX6900XT, RM850, Win.10 Pro., LC27G55T..
0 Likes

I wish VSR was an option, it is not coming up as on option as it did in Windows 8.1 yesterday with all the same components. I  

I wonder what is missingCapture.PNG....

0 Likes

Sorry, not a pro user.

Perhaps fsadough can offer assistance.

Ryzen 5 5600x, B550 aorus pro ac, Hyper 212 black, 2 x 16gb F4-3600c16dgtzn kit, NM790 2TB, Nitro+RX6900XT, RM850, Win.10 Pro., LC27G55T..
0 Likes

VSR = Radeon Pro Image Boost

Hmm that is frustrating, why would it be an option in windows 8.1, but not supported in windows 10 with this hardware?

Could there be a setting I'm missing, or a windows service package or something?

0 Likes
bwanajh
Adept I

When reading the descriptions, It seems that GPU scaling is what I want. not VSR. This makes sense from what I remember and is more in line with the original post.

Although VSR was an option on 8.1, I think my GPU scaling is not working.

Capture.PNG

The result I am looking to acheive is the same as the GPU scaling desciption: Windows saw my 1080p as a 4k, not specific applications.

It made my desktop hard to use as icons/text were hard small to read, but it gave me favorable results in some software that I cannot acheive else. Does this sound like Pro image Boost or GPU Scaling?

0 Likes
bwanajh
Adept I

So I must say I am very let down by AMD's Tech support. After back and fourths via email, I got a real zinger from them : 

"Please be informed that VSR technology was never supported on FirePro w7100 graphic card before"

What absolute nonsense. I've been able to use VSR for 3 years on this card, and I just found that is still works on Radeon Pro 17.12.1 on Windows 10. You have removed features from my GPU on your latest firmwares, why is that? It sure feels like forced obsolescence. I also don't like being lied to and told that it was never supported. Your tech support is trash AMD.

We changed the the name VSR to Radeon Pro Image Boost on the Workstation graphics cards and I last time I checked it worked on FirePro as well. Are you saying you do not see this option under Windows 10 and FirePro W7100?

0 Likes

Yeah it shows up as unavailable, greyed out in newer firmwares(see pic in earlier post above). But on older firmwares or on older Windows it still works fine. Useless customer support is trying to give me the run around and saying it was never supported.

0 Likes

What are you referring to as "newer firmwares"? What do you mean by that? I just tested Win10/W7100/19.Q2.1/DP2DVI adapter driver and Image Boost works just perfect. I suggest you check your monitor/cable/adapter.

ImageBoost.png

Sorry my terminology is wrong I mean latest drivers not firmware. It is working for me now with an older version of Radeon Pro software 17.12.1 , and it worked for 3 years with Windows 8.1. The cable is fine.  It is good to know that it can work for some people, thanks for that.

This is part of why I was unsure of the terminology of VSR vs GPU scaling, because i set it up once 1000 days ago and haven't looked at it since. The little blurbs are pretty vague too because it refers to VSR as something that applies to applications, but  it applies to the OS.

It really bothered me when Cust Service rep Padmanab told me that it was never supported in the first place, you are telling me something altogether different. It was a waste of time even trying to make communication with AMD to get up to the latest drivers, and I will likely jump ship for my next GPU.

I am confused, VSR/Image Boost was just introduced recently and did not exist 3 years ago. Or are you referring to GPU Scaling? If yes, GPU scaling and VSR are totally different. In any case I apologize for wrong information provided to you by the customer support team.

Thank you for reminding the calendar year. First of all, there is big difference between introducing and implementing a feature and second of all this thread is about ProGraphics and not Consumer graphics. You own a FirePro W7100 which is a ProGraphics product. ImageBoost has been implemented in 18.50 drivers for PROGRAPHICS products. If you were using VSR since you remember, then definitely not with a workstation driver. And my age should not be your concern.

0 Likes