cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC Graphics

SirCold
Journeyman III

Driver

After updating my drivers/graphics card I am getting what seems to be input lag. I go into my games and my ping goes from 33 to 2 thousand plus. My graphics card is connected to my monitor via HDMI so I do not know what may be causing this to happen. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

0 Likes
1 Reply

I don't believe a Graphic driver can affect Ping to a website. That is purely a internet connection.

Found this old tech site (2017), I don't recommend you use their program/software (Haste), but seems to give good tips on how to improve Ping for game playing: https://haste.net/2017/08/28/6-easy-steps-lowering-ping-improving-pc-gaming/

Here is HP Support (2020) on how to improve Ping: https://www.hp.com/us-en/shop/tech-takes/5-reasons-your-ping-is-so-high

From the above HP link:

What does ping mean?
Ping is a network utility that refers to the signal sent out across the network to another computer, which then sends its own signal back. This signal, which is measured in milliseconds (ms), lets you know how long it takes for a packet of data to travel from your computer to a server on the internet and back. That measurement is referred to as the latency between the computer and its server.

The etymology of the word “ping” goes back to World War II, when it was used as the technical term for the sonar signal that submarines would send to measure their distance to another vessel in the ocean. An onomatopoeia, the derivation is quite literally the metallic, high-pitched “ping” sound that was heard.

Several decades later, the term was borrowed to describe the process of one computer querying another computer to determine if it was online. Consider this analogy: in the swimming pool game of Marco Polo, the computer “ping” would be the “Marco!” and the receiving server would represent the reply of “Polo!”

In the world of online video gaming, ping refers to the network latency between a player's computer (or the client), and either another client (peer) or the game’s server.

What do the terms “low ping” and “high ping” mean?
The numbers associated with both “low ping” and “high ping” are within a range. Ping amounts of 100 ms and below are average for most broadband connections. In gaming, any amounts below a ping of 20 ms are considered exceptional and “low ping,” amounts between 50 ms and 100 ms range from very good to average, while a ping of 150 ms or more is less desirable and deemed “high ping.”

You’ve probably heard the terms referred to anecdotally as “low ping” or “high ping.” In general, a “low ping” is preferable, especially for those games where timing and position are particularly important.

For instance, a low ping in first-person shooter (FPS) games, real-time strategy games, racing games, and multiplayer games means faster speeds transferring data and receiving the server’s response within the game - and ultimately smoother gameplay.

Those with a high ping will most likely experience delays (or lags) playing the game, which will ultimately affect the game’s outcome. In fact, at even higher amounts, the servers of many FPS games will automatically disconnect those players. Many online games will display your ping time as well as the ping of other players or servers.

What is latency?
While the ping is the signal that’s sent from one computer to another on the same network, latency is the time (in milliseconds) that it takes for the ping to return to the computer. So latency is a measurement of the entire round trip of that signal while ping is just one way.

It’s also important to know that latency refers to the quality, but not the speed, of your network connection. Network connection speeds consist of two elements. The first is the bandwidth (or amount of data that can be transferred within a specific period of time); and the second is the latency, which is the time for that given amount of data to travel.

Ping is often used interchangeably with the term “latency.” So when you hear gamers using the terms “low latency” and “high latency,” then those are often synonymous with “low ping” and high ping.” But that’s not entirely correct.

What does lag mean?
Another term that’s frequently conflated with ping is “lag.” But lag actually refers to the delay or decreased speed that’s sometimes caused by high ping (or high latency). During gaming, high latency can manifest in lag, which is the maddening delay between a player’s action and the game’s response - affecting performance, causing freezing or stuttering, and even crashing games. And you can be disconnected by the server if your ping (or latency) is high enough that it’s affecting the gameplay of other players.

While lag is often caused by high latency, it can also be caused by issues related to the computer that’s running the game. These include insufficient power in the central processing unit (CPU) or graphics card (GPU), or lower system (RAM) or video (VRAM) memory.

Now the Graphics driver does affect the Frames per second.
0 Likes