cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC Graphics

wesunderdog7
Adept I

Black screen during driver installation

A few days ago suddenly i turned on my pc and noticed after the bios, my monitor didn't find a connection. So a black screen. I can go into safe mode no problems, and noticed the problem has to do with installing gpu drivers. 

I've tried almost everything i can think of. 

-installing windows

-installing linux

- using ddu in safe mode and install in normal mode with internet off

-repositioning gpu, different pcie slot, resetting cables

-changing the ssd

-reset cmos, update and downgrade bios, set to default, re-bar off/on

-use a different monitor/ changing hdmi cables

-installing various versions of amd adrenaline

-set off virus protection when installing drivers

-setting up teamviewer, which showed me even though the screen was black, the pc was still working while installing the driver

Certain things worked briefly. As in: the driver seemed to install without a black screen, and/or i would be able to get the screen back again without going into safe mode, but this would only last for the duration i was online. after a pc restart it would go back to black screen again. 

Anyone know a solution?

1 Solution
wesunderdog7
Adept I

Tested the card on another pc, also black screen while installing drivers, in contact with the seller right now. This is beyond a doubt a hardware issue. thanks.

View solution in original post

9 Replies
BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

We need to know what components you are using in your computer.  Do you have integrated graphics available from the CPU?  If so, try plugging your monitor into that.  Do you have access to another video card?  If so, try installing that.

As Albert Einstein said, "I could have done so much more with a Big Al's Computer!".
0 Likes

-Mag b550 tomahawk

-ryzen 5600

-g.skill 32gb ram (4 dimms)

-corsair rm850

-xfx RX 6800

-dell 1440p 165hz monitor

Sadly don't have an old gpu laying around anymore.

But you do have integrated graphics available to you.  Can you hook up your Dell monitor to the motherboard and enable integrated graphics in the BIOS?

You know, I would look at the refresh rate of your monitor and what Windows is trying to push to it.  I suggest (while on integrated graphics) you set the refresh rate to 60 Hz in Windows and also look for settings in your monitor setup controls.  With everything set to 60 Hz, then shut down and reconnect to your RX 6800 GPU.  See if you now have a screen.  If so, you can continue to trouble shoot the problem that's related to refresh rates.

As Albert Einstein said, "I could have done so much more with a Big Al's Computer!".
0 Likes

No i don't have integrated graphics. Tried many things. One thing i tried recently is install a new windows, install afterburner, let it run, install latest version of adrenaline. the screen goes black. i wait 5 minutes and turn the pc off. i turn the pc back on and the driver is installed, but my refresh rate and screen resolution is still locked and i'm unable to open the adrenaline software or change anything in afterburner. it still behaves as if the default graphics driver is installed. i then restart, and am greeted by a black screen when booting into windows.

i suppose the gpu is broken in some way, but i don't understand why i can sometimes seemingly get it to boot, and in very rare circumstances i am able to change the resolution and refresh rate, but it all goes back to a black screen once i restart.

Ok, you're right about the lack of integrated graphics.  

This does seem to be associated with the refresh rate.  It might be getting set to a refresh rate that your monitor or GPU doesn't support.  I would uninstall Afterburner and not install anything else but the Adrenalin drivers to see if you can change the refresh rate in Windows.  The fact that you can get Windows to display an image in safe mode suggests that something else in conflicting when you boot normally.  

0 Likes

Can't change the refresh rate in any way or form. I could ask someone to lend their gpu for a little while, i actually am positive now the gpu has gone bad. Either i rma it, which i'm not sure they will replace since it's two years old and from amazon, or maybe try to bake it in the oven if that doesn't work out to see if "re-soldering" the chip is the issue. It is what it is.

On advice from the retailer i used ddu again.., but this time i checked a box in the settings i hadn't used before... (remove driver/filter amdkmppfd) and the newest drivers installed after that, ran a benchmark and it worked?? good temps, good clocks. not going to celebrate too early but this is very promising! will let you know if its solved

I hope that was the solution.  Many people have recommended using DDU to perform a clean install, but we don't mention the options (except doing it in safe mode).  That's a lesson learned.

wesunderdog7
Adept I

Tested the card on another pc, also black screen while installing drivers, in contact with the seller right now. This is beyond a doubt a hardware issue. thanks.