cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC Graphics

Otterkuh
Adept I

7900xtx problems - Fans going crazy

I had a good life, with my GF, my dog and my 2080 RTX. Unfortunaly I wasn't happy with NOT reaching 144fps in every game so I thought "Hey, isn't it a good idea to buy the brand new 7900 XTX and give AMD a chance?". Some days later it seems like a bad idea.

I had many random crashes but what bothers me the most, I have a jetplane now with an AMD logo on it. In some games, you can't even recreate it, you have random "jet starts" which means the fans are going CRAAAZY. 2000 RPM and beyond and it makes NO SENSE, because it is nothing about rendering anything. In this example I was just in the main menu. Look at my video:

Even without these "jet starts" I'm not having fun. Fortnite for example would hard freeze anyway after around 5 minutes.

I don't even know what to do right now.

Here is my System, which has a fresh new Win 11 installation just some weeks ago and ran ALL GAMES YOU CAN IMAGINE PERFECTLY FINE BEFORE (because I play many games, like WOW, EFT, Apex L, PUBG, Hunt, MW2 etc.):

5800x CPU
Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200MHz
750W Corsair PSU
Alienware 3423dw @144hz +HDR

I always lock my fps at 138fps.

Help me out please. Is there anything I could do? (change something in the driver/settings) or do I really have to buy a 4080 and throw my 7900xtx into trash?

0 Likes
9 Replies
MADZyren
Paragon

1) You (likely) need to uninstall Apex Legends

2) You (likely) need to disable automatic driver update from Windows 11

3) You need to run DDU to uninstall Nvidia and AMD graphics drivers

4) You need to install latest graphics driver from amd.com 

Apex Legends breaks amd's driver or has, not sure if anymore. Win11 automatic driver update can update a wrong version of driver on top of what is actually the latest driver. Also removing old installation thoroughly is important.

EDIT: Also your PSU is kind of small. Unless it is a fairly new, high quality model, PSU can very well be one source of your problems. For a new CPU and latest gen GPUs, I recently got a1300W PSU from Seasonic.

0 Likes

Can the PSU be really a problem? The voltage is not big. I have no idea why this could be a problem. Explain this to me.

0 Likes

Have you tried manually limiting the fan speed within the Adrenalin software? I have noticed on my own 7900 XTX, the drivers seem to set the max fan speed to 100% if you have changed any of the "Performance" settings and have to manually re-adjust the fans to around 50-55%.

Open the Adrenalin software, go to "Performance" tab, "Configuration", then enable "Fan-Tuning" and adjust the speed percentage.

This sounds good and like a great solution! Can you show your fan curve? This would help me a lot!

0 Likes

Hey, I haven't applied a custom fan curve, I just set the maximum fan speed to ~55% via the slider.

If you limit fan speed, what are your temps under stress and are you sure your not thermal throttled?

0 Likes

My card by default doesn't really go beyond ~1800 rpm. However I did some undervolting and the Adrenalin software automatically seems to set maximum fan speed at 100%. So I throttled that back to a lower volume.

At the moment my card pretty much peaks at around 60°C GPU and ~77°C Hotspot with fan speed limited to 60%.

0 Likes
Zeltor
Adept II

To completely rule (old)drivers issues out you could install windows on a usb stick and boot it to test in a fresh install how things fair. That's what I do to spare me a lot of headache.

0 Likes

Nope. My Windows is really new. About 2-3 weeks. Everything ran perfectly.

0 Likes