Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC Graphics

TValu
Journeyman III

7900xt underperforming in multiple games

Hello,

I've recently updated from NVIDIA to AMD 7900XT. I've updated my BIOS, did a fresh windows 11 install, installed latest AMD adrenalin 23.2.2 and ran a few games to test the results. Well results are mixed.

Ran everything with 4k maxed out settings.  I would expect some titles to run a lot better see - https://www.techpowerup.com/review/amd-radeon-rx-7900-xt/26.html 

Furmark 7700 4k preset

God of War steady 80 FPS (Expectations met)

RDR2 - ~50FPS sometimes goes up but mostly at 50FPS (Expected ~100)

Witcher 3 ~ 40-50FPS (expected ~130FPS)

Any idea what could the issue be I don't believe that all these games are so badly optimized, especially since the most common FPS results are way higher 

CPU 3700x usage is minor GPU is used at 100%

RAM DDR4 2113mhz

0 Likes
4 Replies
TValu
Journeyman III

I have SAM turned on as well

0 Likes
eshew
Adept I

Your RAM is really holding you back. DDR4 2113mhz is super slow..That means your CPU FCLK is running half that speed. A nice Gskill Flare X 3200mhz CL14 kit should give you a good chunk of performance. That combined with a 5xxx series CPU should get you close to what you see in benchmarks.  

The test system you linked is running a CPU: Intel Core i9-13900K. That is a lot faster than a 3700x. Closest you could get on your setup is a 5800x3d, look up the benchmarks on that compared to your 3700x to see how much your CPU is holding your card back.

When most benchmarks are done, those systems are setup with optimized settings, you're currently the opposite in terms of RAM speed, which effects Ryzen very much.

Ok Ill try RAM first then. In most cases cl14 vs cl16 should only resuly in 1-5fps diff, no?

0 Likes

I have to agree this is some serious bottleneck, becouse of your old cpu and super slow ram. get ryzen 7000 with some decent modules. Its aint cheap, but this just canot work very well , my Ryzen 5600x seriously bottlecks my xtx card, which i expected. I am just waiting for 7800x3d and decent ddr 5 with okish timings,fine frequency. If motherboards wouldnt be so overpriced same as ddr 5 and x3D cpus came out with 7000series few mounths ago it would be done already. With this marketing tact i am just waiting and waiting. Some gigabyte mobos are already in acceptable range and ddr 5 prices goes down pretty fast, so upgrade too AM5 starts to make sense.... it didnt any before. Only problem is 7000x3d itself now at day 1, 7950x3d  was avaible for its msrp here in Czech. Now? 920euro. This is an absolute madness. Lets hope AMD supllies of 7800x3d are in much better state. Otherwise it could be pretty messy

0 Likes