cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC Graphics

zlymudzyn
Journeyman III

7900 XTX general problems with getting it to work properly

Hi! I have recently bought sapphire 7900 xtx nitro + switching from rtx 3080. I hate every second since I made this decision. Here are the issues that I have encountered so far:

-During drivers installation, i got a blue screen. Should have known better and stopped even trying after this. But, the PC restarted, everything looked like it worked even if it didnt. Just to be sure I removed the drivers completely, installed them without issues the next time. Great success.

- Playing some games I have noticed, that with free sync on, my monitor changes its framerate for some reason, despite card saying its outputting stable 144 FPS. I have tried a lot of things, finally got it to work after disabling free sync on both monitor and gpu, then turning on back again and focing v-sync in amd drivers. It now seems to work. Hopefully it lasts. But these problems were not present with g-sync turned on, on a monitor which was not officialy supported! That's just insane.

-Now, the issue that got me to write this post. Well I am a VR user, decided to go for 7900 xtx because on 3080 things were working all right. I read atm 7900 xtx performs around the level of 3080 and I was fine with that, hoping in the future it will get better as it should.
But actually, the performance is just terrible. Constant stutters make every VR game completely unplayable. The stutters even happen on non-vr games, when the VR headset is connected, but not even on! (I am using reverb G2).

Oh and I would've forgot- hdmi monitor just stopped working after I swapped display port cable outputs for my second monitor and VR. Why? No idea. It sees the monitor, but monitor says it has no hdmi signal. (asus rog p279q) Very frustrating and I still haven't found a fix for that!

Has anyone encountered so many issues as I did? I really want to like this card, in fact I like a lot of its aspects (temperatures, how quiet it is, the looks of it) but I just cannot think of keeping it, as it looks like a rushed product that is bugged even a few months into the release!

Are there any known solutions to my problems? I feel like I might be doing something wrong, but I have a lot of experience with PCs, so I have no idea what it might be.
I tried looking for some tips online but could not find anything that would actually work.

My specs are:
7900 XTX (newest drivers)
5800x
32GB ram 3333 MHz
Windows 10  21H2
B550 Aorus Elite V2
FOCUS GX-750 80Plus Gold 750W

0 Likes
4 Replies

• Minimum 800 Watt Power Supply
  • 3 x 8-pin Power Connector.
  • PCI Express® based PC is required with one X16 lane graphics slot available on the motherboard.
  • Minimum 8GB of system memory. 16GB recommended.

Says 800, but these things are overclocked. I wouldn't even recommend 850w because I would prefer to not push psu to upper limit and less efficiency.

0 Likes

That surely is not the issue. Card is not crashing, whole system consumption is around 650W, so I have a margin even for a slight OC.

0 Likes
Qoojo
Miniboss

There is a listed known issue with 7900xtx with VR right now. I have no experience with VR, so cannot comment further on it.

• Some virtual reality games or applications may experience lower-than-expected performance on Radeon™ RX 7000 series GPUs.

Not sure exactly what you are talking about, but the point of freesync/gsync is to change the frequency of the monitor as the frame rate fluctuates in-game. So if you see the monitor display variable frequency, then freesync is working.

Sometimes you have to change the input on the monitor itself to select hdmi vs dp.

BSOD is concerning but could be power related or a bunch of other stuff. Verify windows installation with "sfc /scannow" and dism commands.

The 7900xtx should perform much better than 3080. Somewhere between a 4080 and 4090. RTX performance is previous gen or 3080 level.

0 Likes

It is performing better in general, not in VR though. Look up some benchmarks.

Sure, the refresh rate should fluctuate when card is not outputting enough FPS. But card is outputting 144Hz all the time, yet the monitor refresh rate changes all the time.

0 Likes