cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC Drivers & Software

gandalf
Adept II

windows update overwriting amd driver on my laptop

i have amd ryzen on my laptop and amd video card driver is old i update it on their site windows is updating it back to the old version. I've done everything on the internet but the automatic driver update won't turn off.

do windows and amd ever ask themselves what kind of **bleep** did we do?

amd **bleep** you again 

1 Solution

Chances are Windows Update is automatically installing what it thinks is the best driver. You can/must prevent that by preventing WU from installing drivers. Note I said drivers. It does not affect any other updates. Simple to do:

https://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/enable_or_disable_windows_10_driver_downloads.html

Reboot computer after reg change.

View solution in original post

8 Replies

Chances are Windows Update is automatically installing what it thinks is the best driver. You can/must prevent that by preventing WU from installing drivers. Note I said drivers. It does not affect any other updates. Simple to do:

https://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/enable_or_disable_windows_10_driver_downloads.html

Reboot computer after reg change.

Hello Kingfish,  

Just wanted to give you recognition for jumping in and being a kind person.  I  instantly thought to reply to the OP for the caustic comment BEFORE even trying to render any assistance or provide advice.  Reading your reply gave me time to pause for a second and realize your approach of providing assistance was a better starting point then treating them like a disrespectful child (which is not my place) that most likely would have no positive outcome.   

I do not want to miss a  "Bleep you Windows" opportunity however to praise Linux!!   Decades ago it was repeated "@#$! Windows!"  situations just like this led me to the amazing, powerful, and F U N  world of *nix operating systems and FOSS!!  

Good advice and reply Kingfish!!

thanks for the suggestion, can windows break this path with the new update?

0 Likes

No it can not. This is a change in the registry.

Download after activating gpedit for windows home, it works, thanks

Seeing the OP's post their honesty and humanity just coming out like that I found both refreshing and comical.

On the Windows 10 overwriting AMD drivers issue the only way I found to stop it was via regedit.

The command line in the regedit specifically blocks Microsoft from sending any AMD driver updates.

I've had windows update on for a month now with this regedit active and windows updates have happened but the installing of Microsoft drivers over AMD WHQL drivers has stopped.

0 Likes

Thanks for your input. I hope you win a toaster.

It did not work for me since I have windows 11. Plus it gave me a virus and some pop ups showing windows problems. Fixed that but the windows still reset my drivers. I tried 3 other methods and none of them worked.

2. Go to system advanced settings and untick the system auto update drivers. Still reinstalled the default ones.

3. Go to manage devices and delete the old drivers from my monitor and stop them from downloading. It also failed and it reinstalled the old drivers.

4. Use windows show/hide trouble shooter programm that I found on MajorGeeks to hide/disable the automatic update. It updated today and unistalled all the AMD drivers again and reinstalled the old ones.

All in all I have tried to install the drivers and keep them over 12 times. 

I have a Ryzen 7 5800H processor with AMD RADEON graphics intergrated in my screen. I downloaded the recommended programm from this website AMD adrenaline edition but the poor programm gets uninstalled every single time.  

Edit : I tried to fix it with DDU (DISPLAY DRIVER UNINSTALLER). I followed the steps to the T. Then I pressed windows update to see if it would update the drivers. And yes it reinstalled the Old drivers AGAIN. I  tried twice with DDU removing all AMD drivers and downloading Adrenalin AMD but it reinstalled the Old drivers AGAIN

0 Likes