Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC Drivers & Software

bobotmeister
Adept I

rx 5700 xt increased idle temp after update to AMD Adrenalin 2020 20.11.2

Greetings!

I run an Asus rog strix 5700xt oc with a pentium i7 9700k.

anyway, updated to the lates driver last night from 20.10.1 and i notice my idle gpu temp jump 44-48 celsius to 58-60+ even turning on the 0db fan in the process. after observing for half a day and seeing no change in spite of restarts... i decided for a rollback. found 20.9.1 driver and uninstalled current and replaced with the old one and now my idle temp went back to the usual 40 something.

anybody else experienced this? is this a bug?

0 Likes
3 Replies

Please open a AMD Service Request (Official AMD SUPPORT) since you can verify that the latest version for your GPU card actually increases the idle temperature.

This will allow AMD Support to see if they can replicate the same issue as you did and possibly find out what is causing the increase in heat during idle from here: https://www.amd.com/en/support/contact-email-form

Or possibly it could just be something unique in your particular computer system.

0 Likes

Greetings!

I decided to reinstall. No idle heat problems so far. Its been... what, a week already? Anyway, i noticed idle gpu clocks have changed. from 770+ mhz from the last patch and now to 6 mhz! but speeds up, of course, when loaded. Besides that, everything is well so far.

Thanks for replying!

0 Likes

after my last message... my desktop was stable when "idle" but for some reason my monitor refresh rate and screen resolution got locked. so i decided to reinstall and guess what? increasing idle temps came back.
for the record my last stable GPU driver was 20.10.1. Today i decided to try the 20.12.1 update. which seems to be a mistake... since my temps are at least 8-10 degrees warmer than usual.
will probably clean uninstall and go back to my last stable version.