cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC Drivers & Software

Jub21
Adept I

PC FPS drops to solid 15 FPS

Ok, I am resorting to everything at this point, I've googled it, asked friends, and even joined PC help discord server. But essentially for the past long while, my pc does this dumb thing where the FPS gets capped at a solid 15 FPS, no more, no less, 15 fps, and it's not even just games, I will be watching a movie and boom 15 FPS, Please can someone help, I literally can't find anything about this problem. 

PC specs:  GPU-Radeon RX 580

CPU-AMD Ryzen 5 1600 Six-Core Processor

RAM-16gb

Also on windows 10 if that helps

6 Replies
jsk68
Challenger

Is reinstalling windows an option?

If it is do it, you may be surprised how many things it fixes.

0 Likes

I may sound dumb because I'm not really a computer guy, I don't know what I'm doing but is reinstalling windows safe, would that delete anything like files?

0 Likes

Oh, yeah, the most silly and overkill option to recommend that might not even work and will be a real time-wasting hassle to go through.

@Jub21 Reinstalling Windows will do a complete wipe of the disk (be it SSD or HDD) that it is installed on, so you will lose all the files on there. If you have other separate HDDs/SSDs in your PC - those will not be affected.

@Jub21 First question - how long specifically has this behaviour been happening on your system (has it always been present from the moment you built it)? Next question - does it happen at some point after hours/minutes of working or almost instantly? If it happens after some time, then it might be useful to test the system in Furmark (with low settings just to have the FPS counter in view), for example, until the 15 FPS cap appears and log (to file) the performance of the GPU/CPU in other apps like GPU-Z/CPU-Z, maybe even keep Windows Event Viewer open somewhere near to see if anything weird pops up in its own logs. Some general advice is to see if you have any settings in AMD software (Adrenalin) or any other possible hardware-controlling software like MSI Afterburner, Ryzen Master or even Windows gaming/power options that might be causing this. If your PC does a hard cap at 15 FPS it's most likely due to some software issue. Might also be something weird in the BIOS or even something weird with the GPU BIOS (btw, you haven't specified what kind of RX580 you have - who is the manufacturer [ASUS, GIGABYTE, etc.]?). 

As an alternative to reinstalling Windows, I'd recommend disconnecting your current OS drive and using/connecting a separate boot drive (USB flash stick, a different HDD/SSD) with Windows installed to see if your PC still behaves in a similar way (though, this procedure will require some help if you don't know how to do those steps or don't have a spare boot drive option).

W10Pro (22H2)|Kingston A400 240G|ASRock B550 Phantom Gaming 4 (L2.71)|Ryzen 5 5600|ID-Cooling SE-225-XT Black V2|nVidia RTX 3070 FE 8Gb|XPG GAMMIX D10 [2x8GB] DDR4 3200MHz (XMP)|DeepCool PK700D

1)I don't know exactly when it started, a while ago, I just can't deal with it anymore so that's why I'm looking into it now

2)and now, it happens at random times, not in any particular pattern I have noticed, it can happen within minutes of me starting up my pc,

-I would also like to add that I have two monitors(well one is a TV) and to my side, and when the event occurs, my main monitor that I will be gaming on or watching something on will drop to the 15 fps while my TV usually displaying discord will completely freeze and audio from like if im in a call cuts out, however my main monitor still functions just at 15 fps, I already tried contacting discord support to see if it was an issue with that and they gave me all these options and I eventually downloaded some old alpha of discord but it still happens. So that leads me to think MAYBE it has something to do with two different displays, so I looked over some support forums for that but couldn't find much help.

3) I've ran multiple benchmarks from AMD software, even a 15 minute one, and it said everything was fine, I don't mess with Ryzen Master and MSI afterburner, I did however change my RAM once in the BIOS, I was told I should increase it a little to its actual potential.

4)And overall I just don't know what settings I should look at in AMD software that could affect it, If you know of anything I could include some screenshots of what I have enabled or what not.

0 Likes

"the most silly and overkill option" You know you can save your files when reformatting right?

So in your opinion it's better to spend days guessing what the issue is, rather than starting over which will either fix the problem or identify whats causing it.....gotcha.

Carry on, show us how it's done then.

0 Likes
jsk68
Challenger

Since I actually ready your post it looks to me like you've tried everything but reinstalling windows, it's no big deal I'd look online for a tutorial,(way better instructions online than i can give) you will be given a chance to save your files and settings, choose this option then immediately install the chipset drivers before you install the graphics drivers.

After everything is installed, test to see if the problem persists if it does come back and let us know.

0 Likes