cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC Drivers & Software

astror
Journeyman III

OpenGL crash in Planetary Annihilation after updating drivers

Hi, I have been playing Planetary Annihilation for some years now, and in the past 4 years I have been using the AMD RX 6800 to play it. Some time ago AMD made big changes in the Drivers to update the OpenGL side of it, and Planetary Annihilation ceased being playable for me in windows (for a while). And now, in the last update driver I did to 24.9.1 the same thing happened and now I get this error when launching the game:

ERROR Planetary Annihilation: Fatal error: It appears that your graphics drivers and/or hardware are missing critial OpenGL capabilities.

If this error persists after updating your drivers and confirming that your hardware supports OpenGL 3.2, please open a support ticket at https://support.planetaryannihilation.com/.

Error details: Unable to start graphics system: wglMakeCurrent(): Controlador no válido.

I also did a fresh windows 10 install just in case, if more information is needed please ask.

I oppened a ticket in the game support, but I doubt  there is still development in an old game like this. I am posting this in the hopes that AMD can fix it in some update. This game is perfectly playable in Nvidia cards (with better performance even), and I really dont want to change my graphics card for one game, but it just so happens this is one of my favorites and this problem with the drivers has been a pain for a while, so I do actually consider a change...

0 Likes
6 Replies
astror
Journeyman III

I have been testing previous drivers versions one by one and the latest working version is 24.5.1, in case this helps to find the problem.

0 Likes
dovunru2
Journeyman III

Radeon OpenGL performance sucks in Windows. They won't commit resources to improving it because OpenGL is old and Vulkan and DX12 are the future. Honestly I can't blame them, their OpenGL drivers in Windows are designed to the letter of the OpenGL spec for thr benefit of enterprise CAD software and very few games still use OpenGL. Considering most other OpenGL games have updated to Vulkan, I don't see why PA hasn't yet. It would hugely improve performance. I even tried installing Linux specifically for the purpose of playing PA as Radeon OpenGL in Linux is actually very good, but PA has it's own set of issues in Linux and just sticks on a black screen for me and won't do anything else.

I have also considered having a Linux partition solely for this game. But for now I'll stay in the 24.5.1 version. Lets hope AMD fixes whatever was changed in the past month...

0 Likes

If you want to stay in last driver version. You can try to extract OpenGL DLL from 2024.5.1 zip and use it with your installed 2024.9.1 driver: This link explained the procedure.

0 Likes

The Radeon OpenGL user mode driver was re-written as of 22.7.1. This had a significant impact on performance.

I'd encourage you to check back in with your OGL apps if you haven't done so since then. If you have any outstanding examples of poor performance, please bring it to our attention.

Cheers,

Vik

https://www.amd.com/en/products/software/adrenalin/amd-vanguard-program.html
0 Likes
AMD-Vik
Staff

Am I right in thinking this is with the Titans version?

Can you provide us with your full system config? (CPU, Memory, Mainboard, OS build number, enabled settings in Adrenalin etc)

Will be taking a look at this - thank you for bringing it up.

Vik

https://www.amd.com/en/products/software/adrenalin/amd-vanguard-program.html
0 Likes