cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC Drivers & Software

Aker666
Adept I

How I have solved my driver timeout crashes and AFMF 2 option not appearing (Laptop)

Hi,

Half a year ago I bought a new gaming laptop, Lenovo 7 Gen 7 AMD Advanced (AMD Ryzen™ 9 6900HX and AMD Radeon™ RX 6850 XT), since then every time I wanted to play games that do not have FSR and I wanted to use Radeon Super Resolution I could not play because as soon as the game started it gave me the famous driver timeout crash. Also, version 24.9.1 of the driver has recently been released and although in the release notes it said that dedicated graphics cards of the RX 6000 series were supported in laptops, in my case I couldn't find the option to enable AFMF 2 anywhere.

Until today, when I was looking for information on Reddit, I read a comment that if you had the hybrid mode activated, the iGPU was still working. Your dedicated GPU was doing all the work but to render it on screen it was still going through the iGPU. This solved all my doubts because when I went into the Adrenaline software metrics while playing I could see that the dedicated GPU was working but it was strange to see that the integrated GPU was also working.

So I tried disabling the hybrid mode and after restarting the laptop when I opened the Adrenaline software and went to the game tab, the option to activate AFMF 2 was present! So I activated it and tried playing with performance mode enabled for that game. For the first time I played for hours without any driver timout crash!

The only thing I've noticed is that when I don't have the hybrid mode activated the temperatures are a few degrees higher, this means that if I leave the laptop idle with only qBitorrent open, the fans won't turn off. When I turn hybrid mode back on, the idle temperatures return to 38 ºC so I can leave the laptop on all day and the fans won't turn on, they are at 0 RPM all the time. Furthermore, I can see in the Adrenaline software that the AFMF 2 option is not present in performance mode.

So, to sum up:

1. If you have a laptop with an AMD CPU (iGPU) and GPU with hybrid mode enabled, disable it for gaming.

1.1 In the Adrenaline software, GPU 1 will be the dedicated GPU and GPU 2 will be the integrated GPU.

2. When you are not gaming, turn hybrid mode back on to keep the laptop cooler.

2.1 In the Adrenaline software, GPU 1 will be the integrated GPU and GPU 2 will be the dedicated GPU.

For me this is not a big problem as using the Lenovo Legion Toolkit, I only have to click on a toggle and reboot the laptop. This has been my experience, if anyone else is experiencing this or has a similar laptop I hope this post will help.

Regards!

1 Reply
MikaKirishima
Journeyman III

MSI Delta 15 laptop here (with 5900HX and RX6700M), I disabled the hybrid graphics mode but the iGPU is still in GPU1 and GPU2 is still the dGPU. do you have any thoughts about that? thnx

Ryzen 9 5900HX / Radeon RX 6700M
Ryzen 7 5800X / Radeon RX 6750XT
0 Likes