Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC Drivers & Software

fimbulvetr
Adept II

How can I update my AMD RADEON R9 255

The graphic chipset i'm using => AMD RADEON R9 255 <=
It doesn't appear in the driver list on this website

It's version is now 17.10.2 and I know for a fact there has been newer versions of it,
I can't download it from this website or from the Crimson softare.

0 Likes
14 Replies
fimbulvetr
Adept II

Describe your system:

• AMD Graphics Card
    • AMD RADEON R9 255

• Desktop or Laptop System
    • ASUS ROG G20 BM
  • Operating System
    • E.g. Windows 8.1 64 bits
  • Driver version installed
    • E.g. Radeon Software Crimson Edition 17.7.1
  • Display Devices
    • Plug and Play LG screen
  • Motherboard + Bios Revision
    •   American Megatrends Inc. 0403, 05/11/2014 , version 2.7
  • CPU/APU
    • FX 770K Quadcore
  • Power Supply Unit  Make, Model & Wattage
    • E.g. Thermaltake TR2 700W Gold
  • RAM
    • 8GB

Describe your issue:

The graphic chipset i'm using => AMD RADEON R9 255 <=
It doesn't appear in the driver list on this website

It's version is now 17.10.2 and I know for a fact there has been newer versions of it,
I can't download it from this website or from the Crimson softare.

0 Likes

I hate to tell you but AMD doesn't update Windows 8.1 drivers anymore. They stopped supporting Windows 8.1 in 2017, I believe.

So to get the latest AMD driver you either going to need to download Windows 7 driver and see if it works or upgrade to Windows 10.

Also your R9-255 is a OEM GPU card: AMD Radeon R9 260 and R9 255 for OEMs  which is probably why AMD doesn't show that GPU in their download page since the OEM (Asus) is the one responsible for making drivers for their cards.

So most likely you will need to go to your Computer Manufacturer (Asus) to get the latest driver for your GPU card from here: ROG G20BM Driver & Tools | ROG - Republic Of Gamers | ASUS USA 

Unfortunately, the latest Windows 8.1 VGA driver is from 2015 while the latest Windows 10 VGA driver is from 2017.

So, I'm f*cked?

0 Likes

fimbulvetr wrote:

So, I'm f*cked?

get windows 10 and install that 

windows 10 can be setup to look like windows 8 if you want

0 Likes

You can try the latest Windows 7 driver (2020) or last AMD Windows 8.1 Driver and see if it works on your computer or not. Just make sure to either make a System Backup or Restore point before doing so in case something goes wrong: https://www.amd.com/en/support/graphics/amd-radeon-r9-series/amd-radeon-r9-200-series/amd-radeon-r9-... 

According to the Release Notes Windows 7 driver are compatible with all R9 200 series GPU cards:

Bit since your GPU card is OEM not sure how well it will work in your computer.

0 Likes

elstaci wrote:

You can try the latest Windows 7 driver (2020) or last AMD Windows 8.1 Driver and see if it works on your computer or not. Just make sure to either make a System Backup or Restore point before doing so in case something goes wrong: https://www.amd.com/en/support/graphics/amd-radeon-r9-series/amd-radeon-r9-200-series/amd-radeon-r9-... 

According to the Release Notes Windows 7 driver are compatible with all R9 200 series GPU cards:

pastedImage_3.png

Bit since your GPU card is OEM not sure how well it will work in your computer.

Windows 10 finds drivers for OEM cards in windows update regularly. Vendors do this to reduce support costs. The drivers on windows update are also checked to be sure there are no problems with them.

0 Likes

Ok, si How can i install windows 10?

0 Likes

WIndows 10 accepts windows 7 and 8 keys and machines with OEM 8.1 have the key in the BIOS already

0 Likes

Do you mind walking me through the process?

0 Likes

These links shows you how to do it:

1- Windows 10 is still free to download. Here's how to get the upgrade - CNET 

2-https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/microsoft/you-can-still-upgrade-to-windows-10-for-free-heres-h...  - This link give the best details and steps on how to upgrade for free to Windows 10.

All of above is from this year 2020.

0 Likes

fimbulvetr wrote:

Do you mind walking me through the process?

Microsoft Corporation 

With the media creation too, find a USB stick of 8GB which you can use to install windows 10

Backup your personal files as a clean install is 100x better idea than attempting an inplace upgrade

0 Likes

The OP can decide for himself which method to upgrade his Windows.

I deleted all the other replies simply because it was going off Topic again and I made my point.

I have media creation for a few previous versions of Windows available if anybody needs it

0 Likes