cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC Drivers & Software

bob_martin
Journeyman III

Graphic driver for Ubuntu 22.04.02 broke my apt package manager, can't update anything.

My Ubuntu 22.04.02 LTS OS has been broken since I thought I was doing the right thing to update to the latest AMD driver for my Radeon RX6500XT graphics card. Since then, I can't update any applications. I've tried all of the things you see on the internet like sudo apt-get clean, sudo apt-get autoclean, sudo apt-get autoremove, sudo apt --fix-broken install and sudo apt install -f, all to no avail.

Really don't want to have to reinstall the whole OS just because this driver broke the system, but I've searched everywhere for an answer and tried all I know how to do to get rid of the offending files that keep apt locked on my system, nothing has worked. The main issue is what I've cut from a tail of sudo apt --fix-broken install, as follows:
dpkg-deb: error: paste subprocess was killed by signal (Broken pipe)
Preparing to unpack .../libllvm15.0.50405-amdgpu_1%3a15.0.50405-1577590.22.04_am
d64.deb ...
Unpacking libllvm15.0.50405-amdgpu:amd64 (1:15.0.50405-1577590.22.04) ...
dpkg: error processing archive /var/cache/apt/archives/libllvm15.0.50405-amdgpu_
1%3a15.0.50405-1577590.22.04_amd64.deb (--unpack):
trying to overwrite '/opt/amdgpu/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/llvm-15.0/lib/libLLVM-15.
so', which is also in package libllvm15.0.50403-amdgpu:amd64 1:15.0.50403-153876
2.22.04, and,
dpkg-deb: error: paste subprocess was killed by signal (Broken pipe)
Errors were encountered while processing:
/var/cache/apt/archives/libllvm15.0.50405-amdgpu_1%3a15.0.50405-1577590.22.04_i
386.deb
/var/cache/apt/archives/libllvm15.0.50405-amdgpu_1%3a15.0.50405-1577590.22.04_a
md64.deb
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
Does anyone recognize this and understand what needs to be done to get this fixed? I don't and I'm out of ideas. By next week, I'll have to just reinstall the OS if I can't get this fixed.

1 Solution
bob_martin
Journeyman III

Since I didn't receive any help in this forum, I'm just reinstalled the OS and start over. It's obvious that the graphics update for the RX6500XT requires older files to be used. My system had already updated to newer versions and the driver would not adapt to the updated and kept stalling at that point. That hangup prevented me from being able to update any application in my install and broke APT on my install. After the reinstall, I purposely avoided any AMD drive updates and will continue to do so forever after this experience.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
2 Replies
bob_martin
Journeyman III

Since I didn't receive any help in this forum, I'm just reinstalled the OS and start over. It's obvious that the graphics update for the RX6500XT requires older files to be used. My system had already updated to newer versions and the driver would not adapt to the updated and kept stalling at that point. That hangup prevented me from being able to update any application in my install and broke APT on my install. After the reinstall, I purposely avoided any AMD drive updates and will continue to do so forever after this experience.

0 Likes
furaidi
Journeyman III

It's all because you don't need to upgrade your drivers. You need to uninstall old drivers and install new one.

I've got into the same trouble today and figured out that I didn't red official article at https://amdgpu-install.readthedocs.io/en/latest/install-prereq.html .

If someone else went into same trouble, solution is to change your /etc/apt/sources.list.d/amdgpu.list to installed one (for me old was 5.5 and new become 5.5.3) and then

apt update

apt --fix-broken install -y

amdgpu-uninstall

<Here you need to install new deb package again>

amdgpu-install

Enjoy!