cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC Drivers & Software

NegativeXero
Journeyman III

Driver update causes worse performance

I recently had to upgrade my graphics drivers to version 22.1.1. I currently use a Radeon RX 580. Ever since that driver update. none of my games have run properly. They would run perfectly fine for a few minutes then, out of nowhere, my frame rate would suddenly drop below 5FPS. I double checked to ensure that both my graphics card and my core processor are at recommended standards for the games I play. I've downgraded then upgraded, then downgraded and that didn't make things any better. I've played these game for almost a year now and the frames haven't been bad until the driver update. DxDiag shows no issues

0 Likes
2 Replies
amdman
Challenger

Make sure you use the AMD Cleanup Utility, or you can get the program Display Driver Uninstaller (DDU) search for how to restart your PC in safe mode and use that. Also use DDU to uninstall Nvidia drivers, if you had a card at one point, delete the drivers for it also.

They clean the old drivers so that nothing is around to mess up the new drivers, or older if you are installing those, either way always use the process of cleaning the drivers first, then install the drivers you want.

If you still have problems, use AMD Cleanup utility or DDU again and put the older drivers on again to see if your problems go away. That would point to something changing in the new drivers that is causing it, but hopefully cleaning the drivers will fix it for you, good luck!

0 Likes
loki1944
Adept II

Definitely not the first time AMD has done this; if you try the latest XP driver for the HD 3870 the performance will be cut in half on average in many games.

0 Likes