cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC Drivers & Software

Forsaken66
Journeyman III

Does Freesync Premium only works from 120Hz and higher?

Hello,

i want to buy a new amd card, maybe a 6800/6900 XT and the following 2K 27" Monitor:

https://www.viewsonic.com/eu/products/lcd/VX2780J-2K

The monitor has Adaptive sync feature and Freesync premium. My old setup was a 144Hz FHD Monitor with basic freesync and it worked well, synchronizing Grafic card and monitor frames in my frame range. So the new one has Freesync premium and I read last night 2 hours about that stuff, but I am still confused, mainly about this sentence from AMD site and other sites, its one sentence in the description of freesync premium:

"At least 120hz refresh rate at minimum FHD resolution"

So what does that mean? The monitor I want to buy is 2K and able to make 170Hz (Displayport mode) But in my setup I will not be able to play some newer games in 170Hz, not even close. Red dead redemption 2 for example on full details, I guess I will not even be able to play it in 120Hz, maybe in 90Hz or like this.

1.) So does Freesync premium only start working in Games when I play with 120Hz and higher? If I play a game in maybe 70-80Hz Freesync premium will NOT work/synchronize my Vga Frames and monitor frames? (Monitor range is 48-170Hz)

2.) And second question: The monitor has Adaptive sync as well. Is it possible to only activate adaptive sync in AMD driver options, without any freesync activated? And if yes. does Adaptive sync the same job? Synchronizing Card and monitor in the whole range (48-170Hz)

I hope you understood my english. My fear is to buy a monitor which only works from 120Hz and higher in Freesync premium and not work below 120Hz

Thanks a lot

Regards

0 Likes
0 Replies