Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC Drivers & Software

rucko
Journeyman III

Crimson Beta 16.2.1 bricked HD 5970?! Computer beeps

Hello Everyone,

I got handed down a Monitor that finally supports Displayport and installed the Crimson Beta 16.2.1. on my old (ca. 2010) Desktop with a Radeon HD 5970. So far everything worked just fine with my PC. But new year - new (beta) drivers.

When the installer asked me to restart the problems started:

The computer only returned 1 long and 2 short beeps and didn't post anything anymore. On my mobile I found that this ususally means that there is a problem with the graphics card and that it sometimes helps to activate Legacy Support in Bios. So I turned off the PC via the power button and started it right up again while pressing the DEL button to get into Bios - this worked just fine. PC posted and restarted afterwards, albeit that my old 2010 Bios doesn't even have anything like Legacy Support. 

After a while I had to restart again due to a Windows update and since then I wasn't able to get my PC/Monitor to post again. All I get are the same 1 long and 2 short beeps and nothing else. I also tried the old monitor with dvi, I open the PC took out the video card, made sure that the cable look alright and set it back in but to no avail.

Has anyone had a similar problem? Or do you happen to know a workaround to at least get back to the old drivers? System restore is going to be pretty hard without a working display. 

As it worked after the first beep incident I'm hoping that there is some kind of solution.

Thank you for your help,

Dennis

0 Likes
4 Replies
mstfbsrn980
Grandmaster

If a computer does not run and turns on with a (or more) beep and stops responding... The problem is not OS drivers. Go to your BIOS again and restore the factory settings. If a floppy disk drive is not connected, close this item. Also, a BIOS may give a similar error if a keyboard or a mouse is not connected. In addition, each motherboard usually has a CMOS reset switch. You might have to try. The RAMs may need to be removed and cleaned with an old clean dry toothbrush. Thermal paste may need renew....

0 Likes

Hi mstfbsrn980,

thank you for the advice. 

Of course it could just be a coincidence that the computer stoped working/booting after I updated the drivers, after all it turns 10 years old soon. Though it has worked just fine up until today.

Unfortunately I haven't had any luck at getting to the BIOS after the first time. The display just stays dark and doesn't even detect a video signal from the computer.

No, it doesn't have a floppy, nor do I have one laying around anymore. What do you mean with "close this item"? Do you think it is a lost cause?

I will try to re-plug mouse and keyboard later, try to find out whether this old machine has a CMOS reset switch and I will clean the RAM. I don't have any thermal paste at the moment, so lets see if any of the other measures work.

Cheers!

0 Likes

Older systems attempt to read a floppy disk drive when a computer is starting. If there is no floppy drive, PC will beep. If there is a signal problem, there may be a problem with the graphics card. Remove it and clean (it and PCI port) like RAMs. Use an appropriate toothbrush for DIMs and PCI port. For graphics card and RAMs, use an appropriate eraser. Maybe it will work.

0 Likes
rucko
Journeyman III

Hi kingfish,

thank you for your response. Following the first link you provided I also find the "Crimson Edition 16.2.1 beta" drivers listed under "Windows 10 - 64-bit Edition" for the HD 5970. Therefore I'd assume that these drivers should also be usable.

The biggest problem is still that I don't have any idea how to revert to even the last official Catalyst drivers without the PC booting up, or at least posting anything to the display.

Cheers!

0 Likes