cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC Drivers & Software

TheMuss
Journeyman III

Company of heroes 3 hard lock

I am going nuts with this game. Half my losses are due to the computer hard locking up and having to restart when playing coh3.

5800x3d

reference 6800

32gig ram XMP

b450i

I have been playing games on my rig for years without issue but since the release of coh3 I keep getting random computer locks, sound keeps going but game freezes and nothing is responsive until I restart. Can happen in first game or up to the third or forth.

I thought I had resolved the issue by dropping in game FPS cap from 140 to 60. It is now much less common and I can sometimes play for a couple of hours before it will lock but its still occurring.

I believe this to be a GPU driver issue and below is things I've tried to resolve this.

tested stability in numerous other games for long sessions.

monitored temps (70c on both under higher load than coh3 at 60fps lock)

checked all event logs and looked for dumps - nothing

found a couple of errors in memory - bought a new set

verified files and reinstalled Windows

Issue has persisted since launch with multiple patches and GPU driver updates. I cannot replicate in any other circumstances except when playing this game.

I have noticed some other reports from AMD users including one on this forum but they never seem to go anywhere, I guess because its a niche game. I plan on playing this for the next decade (im serious lol, just left coh1) so getting it working is very important to me and the 7900xtx I am eyeing up.

0 Likes
3 Replies
Robot_kc
Journeyman III

Did you get anywhere with the above. I'm in the same boat done all the steps you have too. Cannot seem to get anywhere. Very random crashes or Bugsplats can let me play a game or 2 maybe even half way through a game and it goes.

I play on all the lowest setting no change!

My gpu: 5700xt

0 Likes
hockeyjon
Journeyman III

Hey, I’m having this issue with my 7900XTX.  I get a driver timeout with COH3 that doesn’t seem to happen elsewhere.  From what I’m reading, this is an Adrenalin problem, and the software will randomly overclock the card to an unstable frequency which locks it up.  I’m reading the fix is to change your tuning settings to “custom”, and then set a clock rating within your card’s spec to prevent it from shooting past it.  A lot of people are reporting this fixes the problem.

AMD, please resolve this!

0 Likes

I can confirm this is an AMD issue, I couldn't take the risk on the 7900xtx so I ended up with a 4080S. As expected issue is now gone.

0 Likes