cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC Drivers & Software

valaska
Adept III

AMD lying about nature of Driver Timeouts (Helldivers 2, Phantom Brigade, and more)

• Intermittent driver timeout or application crash may be experienced after playing a mission and changing the in-game resolution while playing HELLDIVERS™ 2.

This is what AMD is claiming leads to the timeouts. It is not, this is an abject and outright lie. There is something inherently BROKEN with how AMD drivers handle DX12.  AMD is aware of it, they KNOW this exists, people have in the hundreds over the years have been reporting this issue. This issue hits many users, different configurations... and at times completely random/different programs. Nvidia has ZERO issues like this with DX12, and AMD has been burying this issue aided by marketing firms like Gamers Nexus, Linus Tech Tips, Hardware Unboxed, etc. All of which have been notified, by DOZENS of people, about this issue. We have shown them recordings, shown them benchmarks, etc.

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLScL7m-EGEsA3x4-0Td7dD-HXXUngZvL52y-oRoqwvRXfK7j1Q/viewanaly...

RMA does not solve this, I am on my 3rd 7900 XTX now, I also have a backup 7600 RX because I have owned AMd for YEARS, decades, the cards have been great to me. Until now, and the way AMD is being coy and saying "Star Craft might..." when they KNOW this issue hits more than just Star Craft, they KNOW this has nothing to do with changing resolutions... they know this issue exists. They refuse to fix it, they refuse to acknowledge it, from what I was told they aren't even researching it because not enough people are complaining about it until Starfield. In which they did some sort of adhoc patch for that game alone.

https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/release-notes/rn-rad-win-24-2-1-helldivers-2

This post, is chalk full of lies.

43 Replies

Nope, PBO, undervolting, underclocking... nothing will help. Once a game times out it will always time out.

0 Likes
Omgnoway
Elite

tried every fix lower fps turn off XPO reinstall windows bios update , older driver DDU this then that  did everything suggested  on these forums 

works for a match or two then crash . a 1200 dollar GPU should not be doing this  yes I've sent numerous reports every time i crash and from what I'm reading a lot of ppl are having problems with the 7900 XTX

MAY A CLASS ACTION SUIT should happen cant refund only RMA to be back in a few weeks with same problems so upset with my decision To buy the 7900 XTX . been using AMD products for years all the back to the Athlon 64 FX and  Athlon 64 Fx to bull dozers never had this many problems with drivers its crazy. please fix the drivers.

7900 XTX Merc 310 

7800 X3D

loyal costumers should not have to go through this. 

0 Likes
rody2213
Adept I

I agree 100%. I've had a Gigabyte 7900xtx for 1 year now and it's been nothing but an uphill battle with driver timeouts in certain games. I've been down the long laundry list of things to try just like many of you and I still have driver timeouts. It's not in every game but it's in the games that  I like to play. It might happen within 30 minutes or 4 hours later. I have lost countless hours of time I could've been gaming but instead I'm here sharing my grief. I will note that I'm having less crashes than I was a year ago but I had to refund Helldivers 2 on Steam. Even after trying all the fixes it would crash within 1 minute. If you are one of the people who have resolved all of your timeouts with adjusting settings I'm truely happy for you. I would've stuck with this 7900xtx for years. Now that I have a swapped for a 4080 super all of my crashing problems magically went away. If you can't simplyDDU then install a new card,load the driver and enjoy your new purchase then there's something terribly wrong here. I now have owned 3 Nvidia cards with no issue. This was my first AMD card and it will be my last. Now as for my CPU, I love my 5800x3d!

0 Likes
Labatyd
Adept I

I have been plagued by driver timeouts on an 7900XT now for about a year. Trying everything from disabling MPO/XMP/reBAR/FreeSync/HDR, lowering power limits/clockrates, updating every Firmware/Driver/BIOS, reinstallation of the entire system, DDU and trying different drivers, changing the PSU from 850W to 1000W, switching cabling, getting temps down to 75° hotspot, NOTHING has has helped. The matter became even worse with the last driver update (24.3.1) since the system no longer blackscreened->recovered but fully crashed to the post screen with a complete reboot. I cannot even send error reports anymore. The worst offenders are World of Warcraft and Helldivers 2 but I encountered the timeouts in other games too.

So, just to see if there is something else fundamentally wrong with the system, I decided to order an Intel Arc770 just to play around a bit. You know, that GPU notoriously known for terrible drivers and an overall buggy experience. Now, after 3 days of playing all kinds of games I have not encountered a single bug, slowdown, issue whatsoever. I even noticed I had other issues with the 7900XT that I got so used to that I did not even notice them anymore. Having FreeSync active always led to changes in brightness on my main monitor when I started using another window. This doesn’t happen on the Arc770 anymore. Color profiles for my monitors suddenly all went equal and I no longer had to manually change any contrasts and such even in mixed SDR/HDR setups. Recordings of games via OBS suddenly have the correct colors and no stutterings using the same settings as for the AMD card (switching only the encoder). Transient power spikes? Gone. The power draw now is a rock stable value according to spec of the card. And at last, imagine playing Helldivers 2 for hours straight!

At this point I can only say that the 7900XT(X) is a fundamentally broken product designed to produce high benchmarking numbers in the most relevant titles but fails on anything stability or quality related. Having a title like World of Warcraft crashing constantly in every driver version FOR A YEAR is a blatant insult to anyone that spent ~1000 bucks on such a card. Helldivers 2 a title having ~240K active players at the time of writing not working for 2 months now? Pathetic.

While it sucks to run a system at 33% performance of your former GPU (7900xt is pretty much 2.5 times faster than Arc770) I will stick with the Intel GPU for now. Performance is worthless when you cannot play for 2 hours straight on your primary titles. Will upgrade to an NVIDIA 5series or Intel Battlemage end of year. Will apply for warranty at my trader for the 7900XT and avoid AMD in the future.