• Connection - 2.5GB ethernet CAT 6e @ 550MHz

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Streaming Client:

• Asus G20 AJ
  • CPU - i5 4460
  • RAM - 16GBs
  • GPU - 6500XT
  • Connection - 1Gb Ethernet CAT 6e @ 550MHz

My question is on the client, I can't select HEVC, it states Encode under streaming options. wouldn't that be for the Host not the end client, like i should be setting up the host to allow encode of H.265 and then on the client select what decode codec i want to choose on what the host has allowed (either H.264 or H.265 in this case). my theory is the host will encode so the client will decode that stream. I know the 6500XT can't encode HEVC (H.265). so what would be the reason for this. On my iPhone it allows me to select H.265, i do have my XPS 13 and will have to test to see if that allows the option or leaves it greyed out. Does the client still need the ability to encode to perform this task? can someone give me some information on this if I'm wrong for thinking that there is an issue or on the process of the stream in how it performs/ works?

0 Likes
1 Reply

Thank you for getting back to me. i should explain what I am trying to perform. I have my Host machine in the basement, it plays games perfectly fine for me, my living room has surround sound, with my LG G1. I would love to play story-based games in my living room.

So, I guess I'm confused. if the Host is what encodes it and the client is what decodes that stream, wouldn't it be fine with the GPU in place? for the support of HEVC on the CPU, it does not have it but why would the CPU be part of it? i got this GPU in hopes of having the ability to stream my games into my living room which is far away. so, the use of a HDMI to my LG G1 is not possible, even if i got the HDMI connection, then its peripherals and other things that just make it clunky. i was in hopes of getting steam to run in big picture mode or the SteamOS that they have. i got steam to work but it has this strange skip that is very annoying, it's happening more on the 6500XT vs the GTX 750 that was in it. i tried playing with settings, i found that on the client can't have AMD Anti-Lag enabled, played with the performance side of things like clocks etc. that's a whole other story and rabbit hole to go down through and a separate topic.

I do want to build an HTPC and have it be a 5600x-5800x in a nice small case for living room aesthetics but I'm afraid of 2 things. if I go with spending that money, 1) its money I don't want to spend at this given moment and 2) what if it's still not capable of HEVC due to what you said that my i5 isn't capable. I was just thinking it's all done through the GPUs ability for the game streaming and very little CPU is needed and 3 what if I just got a 6600XT where it can decode/encode that signal and I won't need the extra money spent on CPU, MoBo, PSU, case, Ram etc. I guess in the end I would like to have this issue with my current set up figured out vs spending any sort of additional money as I already bought the 6500XT

In the end what I have to do is what I have to do and im not trying to sound like an ass but I like to try find solutions to get it working and further understand the system and tools before just throwing stuff at it that i dont have and if i need to obtain it i would like to do research on what would be the best approach if its a component. like if the 6600XT has less of an ability to decode then say a 6700XT or even a NVIDIA equivalent. it makes it fun in a way.

0 Likes