cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC Building

Axxemann
Forerunner

Yet another X3D??? CAN IT BE??????

I was watching some of the techtubers and surfing through the tech websites, and rumor has it that there's a final offering coming out on the AM4 platform... the Ryzen 5 5600X3D.

I think this is going to a quite the coup. Not only to proving that 3D V-cache is the way forward, but that there's yet another offering for those of us more budget conscious builders and gamers, especially with how popular the 5800X3D has become.

We already have some synthetic test data on what a 7600X3D can do by shutting down the non v-cache cores of the 7900X3D. Could the 5600X3D be a further test-run on the 3D V-cache process and a way to clear out the remaining last-gen silicon?

I'm still gunning for a 5800X3D upgrade for my gaming rig, but the 5600X3D would most certainly be something I would steer my nephew towards on his quest to build his own gaming PC.

Having said that, where can I sign up to test and evaluate one of these AM4 monsters?

Performance over Pretty.
25 Replies
GreatnessRD
Miniboss

I was just having a convo with my cousin about it the rumored 5600X3D. I think it would be a nice chip, but it shouldn't cost anymore than $200-$220. Anything higher than that and you should just save more for the 5800X3D at $290 (or $280 if you're lucky like me to have a Microcenter close by)

Definitely intrigued about the chip though. Might be the boost needed to make my cousin finally jump on the wagon and build a new PC. He hasn't built one since like '13, lol.

Leonidas - Ryzen 7 5800X3D | MBA RX 6800 XT Midnight Black | Be Quiet 802 Silent Base (Main)
Maximus - Ryzen 7 3700x | Power Color Fighter RX 6700 XT | Fractal Ridge ITX Case (HTPC)

Currently, the 5600 is going for about $190CAD, the 5600X is going for $200 and the 5800X3D is selling for $410CAD. I figure if it slots in around $230-250CAD it'll sell like back bacon.

Performance over Pretty.

You're probably right. Might even get me to slip one inside my HTPC and sell the 3700x or upgrade my father's rig.

Leonidas - Ryzen 7 5800X3D | MBA RX 6800 XT Midnight Black | Be Quiet 802 Silent Base (Main)
Maximus - Ryzen 7 3700x | Power Color Fighter RX 6700 XT | Fractal Ridge ITX Case (HTPC)

I guess we'll have to wait with baited breath. Either way you slice it, it'll keep the AM4 platform pretty darned viable for the next few years if it becomes a reality. Maybe @Sam_AMD@Wally_AMD or @Amber_AMD  can ask around the office and dangle some juicy tidbits. This could be out Fry moment from Futurama.

Performance over Pretty.
Dragokar
Miniboss

So it is going to be a Micro Center exclusive CPU.

https://community.microcenter.com/discussion/13402/micro-center-unveils-exclusive-launch-of-amd-ryze...

Is there someone out there who can get me one?

I had hoped at least for an AMD online store run, even if limited. But this way I can't get one, since I am in my old germany.

BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

There should be a better way for you to acquire the CPU without having to go through a third party and deal with postage and things of this nature.

As Albert Einstein said, "I could have done so much more with a Big Al's Computer!".

Well yeah, but since there is no other way right now -.-

TheMead
Adept I

This will be a great entry level gaming processor for the next 12 to 18 months, 

The best time to purchase new hardware is two weeks after you made your purchase when prices drop or a new architecture is released.
petosiris
Miniboss

I saw these rumors some days ago but didn't want to report it here in the AMD Community because it was a Microcenter only deal.  To acquire the CPU you have to a) meet up personally in one of their 26 stores (in USA), b) only one per customer, and c) you can't send a friend to purchase it for you (which means you have to be a registered customer and they'll check your ID).  So these news have little value if you don't satisfy the criteria.

Best,
Petosiris           About me | PC specs | Favorite game | How to display your PC specs in an image
BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

I wonder why this is the process to acquire the new CPU?  Limited production perhaps?

As Albert Einstein said, "I could have done so much more with a Big Al's Computer!".

It seems so, it is basically an 8core with 2, maybe defective cores...?

Kind of remembers the time where we had Phenom X3 and we could unlock the 4th core 😁

The Englishman

AMD gets rather strategic with their inventory and will create a sku for every price point. For example pre-pandemic chip shortage, we saw AMD turn Zen+ dies into $60 R5 1600AF around the time of the Zen 2 launch. I think the the 5600X3D is simply the result of a when a engineer and bean counter create a sku to sell off their chiplet inventory without cannibalizing their existing price points.    Zen 4 X3D parts are out using a new socket, and AMD needs to sell their previous architecture stock that is sitting around and cause the zen 4 uses a different x3d cache chiplets the zen 3 x3d chiplets.  

The best time to purchase new hardware is two weeks after you made your purchase when prices drop or a new architecture is released.
Awol
Challenger

Unfortunately for us that live outside the United States we will not be able to purchase these.

petosiris
Miniboss

Best,
Petosiris           About me | PC specs | Favorite game | How to display your PC specs in an image
BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

Pretty good review.  I'll stick with my current CPUs since I'm not a big gamer anyhow.  I should note that I live about 30 minutes from a Micro Center store.

If I wasn't planning on a 5800X3D as a last hurrah for my AM4 rig and my nephew was in the cash-in-hand position to build RIGHT NOW, I'd be politely asking you to swing by that Microcenter and grab a bundle for the kid. But after exchange rates and shipping, it's more economically feasible for the kid to A: wait on Uncle Grizz's 5600  or B: Play the wait and see game with the AM5 platform. He'll only go Blue Team over my dead, rotting corpse!

Performance over Pretty.
BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

I went ahead and bought a combo deal at Microcenter.  I'll break the news to my wife tonight when we are at the yoga class.  Surely she won't kill me in front of the others.

EMoney129
Adept III

20230707_165648.jpg

Just got home from Microcenter Denver, I'll let you know how it goes.

Please do. The benchmarks look very promising.

Performance over Pretty.

Updated BIOS to Asus's latest version 3002. Ran Cinebench and 3DMark Time Spy Extreme. With a slight overclock on the standard 5600x, I got ~6% better numbers. In game, on The Last of Us and Cyberpunk (only 2 games played so far), 5% higher frame rates on The Last of Us, 8% higher average on Cyberpunk with the X3D. Plan on checking out Flight Simulator, Spiderman, Red Dead Redemption 2, Forza Horizon and Shadow of the Tomb Raider over the next couple of days and will try on 1080p and 4k and focus on CPU heavy games and some productivity. System is Ryzen 5 5600X3D, Gigabyte RX6800 Gaming OC, 32 GB G Skill Ripjaws 3200 CL16. 

Time Spy Extreme score finished at 4,010. Cinebench 1,411 single core/10,775 multi core

petosiris
Miniboss

@EMoney129,

Congrats with your new CPU!  Remember to enable Above 4G Decoding and Re-Size BAR Support in BIOS so AMD's SAM can improve interaction with the VRAM on your GPU.  You may get some additional boost in games then.

Best,

Thank you very much for tips like this. It's the kind of stuff that gets glossed over or buried in videos/articles. Helped squeeze a little more performance out of the chip. Appreciate you 👍

petosiris
Miniboss

Glad it worked!  I didn't learn this until I read it in an article @Wally_AMD wrote, so any credit should go to him. 👍
And, according to info @BigAl01 found on Internet, the problem with not setting these two ON is that the CPU is limited to fetch only 256 MB from the GPU at a time. This can slow down modern games.  So SAM fixes this.

Best,

Whoop! Happy my article was helpful! 🤙