PC Building

Bormanx
Adept I

Unable to XMP Viper PVS416G440C9K 4x8 RAM kit

My system is;

• Motherboard : MSI MPG X570s Carbon Max Wi-Fi 5300 MHz

• CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X

• RAM: Patriot Viper Steel PVS416G440C9K (4400 MHz) 4x8 GB

My BIOS can't do XMP. I am using these RAMs with their base 2133 MHz. I tried both Profile 1 then 2 and nothing happens. The BIOS still shows RAM frequence as base 2133 MHz (same as Task Manager under OS).

I tried 2 different manual tCL, tRP, etc settings and PC could not POST and I needed to clear CMOS.

Can you please any tried and stable RAM settings for my system?

Thank you so much,

Bora

12 Replies
johnnyenglish
Grandmaster

Hi 4 sticks at 4400 may be a little bit too much for the IMC to handle. Try running them at 3600 or 3200 and tighten the CAS latency.

Also, the PVS416G440C9K were not on the QVL of your board, so its possible that you won't be able to run them at the advertised speed.

Good luck 

The Englishman

Thank you for the answer. I knew the QVL situation when I bought them. Because, a friend of mine told me "the QVL list does not mean everything. They should work properly" and then I decided to order. But now, I feel pure regret 😞

Bormanx
Adept I

Thank you for the answers.

I tried several manual settings looking at some tech forums. But I failed. Manual configuration is too much for me. So, I decided to return them to Amazon while I can. Instead, I plan to buy G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16 GB kit (F4-3600C16D-32GTZNC) which is said full compatibility with my CPU and board.

The last thing I need to know is I just noticed that the CLEAR-CMOS button is always lit. While I was trying to manage manual BIOS/RAM settings, my PC stop posting several times and I needed to apply clear CMOS (turning off power supply, pulling off the power cord and waiting 10 mins). And then I just realized CMOS button keep lit although PC is shut down. That button stop lighting when I pull out power cord and waiting 15-20 seconds.

Is it normal?

You ever heard of RTFM?   😉

On page 30 Overview of Components ( https://download.msi.com/archive/mnu_exe/mb/MPGX570SCARBONMAXWIFI.pdf ) it explains how to do a proper BIOS reset, the old fashioned way. For me still the only way if I ever run into serious problems. To me it seems that the BIOS reset buttons on the back isnt always doing the same, because the power needs to be completely gone from your motherboard before a real reset. It seems that in some rare cases some USB devices connected to your motherboard still can supply some power, which prevents a good BIOS reset. In case your BIOS still will not reset, disconnect as much as possible cables from your motherboard and the rear I/O panel. And you dont need to wait 10 minutes if you disconnect all power cables from your motherboard.

To bad the real old way of resetting a BIOS wont work anymore. You just disconnected the power cable and ran a screwdriver over the BIOS pins, and you were done.... But that was long time ago.

Good luck!

7700X - X670E-F Gaming WiFi - XFX RX7900XTX Black Edition - 32GB Trident Z5 NEO C30 6000MHz - 1x1TB Samsung 990Pro, 2x2TB Samsung 980Pro, 2x 2TB SSD - MasterCase H500M - Super Flower Leadex Platinum 1000W.
johnnyenglish
Grandmaster

Well, actually I never checked my clear CMOS button, maybe you should have a look at the manual just to be sure.

Some boards keep the lights on even when the system is off. ASUS/TUF/ROG boards will still output RGB even when turned off.

The Englishman
randomtox
Adept I

Not all motherboards and/or CPU's support just any type of high speed memory, even less on all 4 slots. Before buy memory you might go see the memory support page at MSI and Patriot if the memory you want to buy works with the motherboard you have. Maybe you might get better performance (E.G) DDR4-3800 (CL15?), with Infinity Fabric clock at 1:1 than your memory Infinity Fabric clock at 2:1 (above the 3800mhz). Infinity Fabric of the 5900X max is usually 1900MHz, so DDR4-3800 is usually the maximum speed if you want maximum performance in games. Set your memory to 3733 or 3800, see if that gets your machine stable.

7700X - X670E-F Gaming WiFi - XFX RX7900XTX Black Edition - 32GB Trident Z5 NEO C30 6000MHz - 1x1TB Samsung 990Pro, 2x2TB Samsung 980Pro, 2x 2TB SSD - MasterCase H500M - Super Flower Leadex Platinum 1000W.
Axxemann
Forerunner

Ryzen favors 2 sticks of RAM over 4 as it is.

Performance over Pretty.

Zen 4 isn't the same as 2 and 3.

2 sticks seem to be slightly better than 4 for Zen 4. That's why I bought 2 x 16GB and not 4 x 8GB

TBH, I think it's been pretty common across AMD for years to favor 2 sticks. My FX8120 preferred 2 sticks. I don't even think my Zen3 will XMP 4 sticks, but I started with 2, and when I go to more RAM, I'll be going with 2 bigger ones.

Performance over Pretty.
johnnyenglish
Grandmaster

Its a IMC thing, and its across All Ryzens. It is pretty expectable to get better each generation but still.. its far more easy for the IMC handle 2 than 4.

Analogy time: I can juggle 2 balls but not 4, my personal "IMC" is super bad. Some folks juggle with 8 easy. 

Then its silicon lottery, good sticks and board support. 

My brothers 1700X handled quite well 3200Mhz team group sticks but Corsair b die was a bust.

Intel seems to handle better speeds but there is no massive performance bump like we see in Ryzens. Very dull. 

The Englishman

Like I said. That was the case with up to Ryzen 3, not so anymore with Ryzen 4.

And the more memory, the slower it CAN get.

HardwareUnboxed:

https://youtu.be/PxWQM4g99Cs

Actually Hardcore Overclocking / Buildzoid:

https://youtu.be/uOD8vS0WHeQ

Go look, might be some useful info.

supreme
Adept II

The compatibility page for your mobo doesn't specifically list your RAM model but you can use it as a reference. Maybe you could contact MSI to add it.
amd-screen1.png

The CPU itself states up to 3200mhz.
amd-screen2.png

[ASRock B450m/ac R.20 | 5800X3D | G.Skill RipJaws V Series 3200 16GBx2 | RX 7600]