Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC Building

Key-J
Paragon

Upgrading PC Process

Hey Red Team,

I'm currently waiting for one final piece of hardware to arrive before I can make a big upgrade to my PC. Changing out the PSU, MB, AIO and CPU.

I wanted to ask all of you, especially since some of you seem so much more advanced in this than me, what is the process you follow when making significant changes to your PC? Split into two questions.

1. What do you do with your Hardware?
    1. Do you have a specific routine or pattern that you follow when building/re-building your rig? Do you always start with something first, or do it in a certain way?

2. What do you do with your Software?
    1. Do you backup all your files onto an external drive and then format all of your SSDs/HDs for a fresh install or do you only worry about your C drive?

Any tips or tricks are always appreciated! I have built my fair share of computers, but I am never above asking for advice when I know others out there might know more than me!

----------
**Canadian Gamer & Father - www.twitch.tv/AFKidsGaming** - Live Wed & Fri at 8:00pm PST - Come join!
3 Replies
mengelag
Volunteer Moderator

For me, I put everything that can go on the motherboard in before putting it in the case, CPU, Cooler, RAM, NvME. Then I put the motherboard in and screw in fans, AIO, and route the cables to the back and do some cable management before putting in PSU which I do last ( minus the GPU) as its easier to work in the case without those big power supply cables in the way. The last thing that goes in is the GPU and I leave the panels off until I see it Post.

As far as backups, I have that on a separate NvME/ SSD. I run O/S on a separate NvME and only use it for installs. All personal files are on a different drive. Makes reformatting a breeze

Ryzen 7800X3D - RTX 4090 FE - ROG Strix B650E iGaming - 64gb 6000mhz G-Skill Neo - Noctua NH D15 - ROG Loki Platinum 1000w SFXL - 4TB Samsung Gen. 5 NVMe - Fractal Torrent Case - ROG PG48UQ OLED
0 Likes
Deemon69
Elite

Good day!

1. I initially collect everything on the table and perform tests for the stability of the PC. If everything works stably, then I already assemble it in the case. If it is unstable, then I immediately determine the faulty components and replace them.

2. I do not make a backup copy of the data, because they are not on drive C. I'm doing a clean install of windows.

0 Likes
GreatnessRD
Miniboss

• Fill the motherboard with hardware that can go on it before installing in the case
  • Install Mobo, fans etc
  • Fresh install everything (I'll save like pictures or simple things to Microsoft cloud and get from there) But all my drives are wiped and redownloaded as its mostly games or small things

Nothing too crazy.

Leonidas - Ryzen 7 5800X3D | MBA RX 6800 XT Midnight Black | Be Quiet 802 Silent Base (Main)
Maximus - Ryzen 7 3700x | Power Color Fighter RX 6700 XT | Fractal Ridge ITX Case (HTPC)
0 Likes