cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC Building

Ryzen 7000 motherboard MB X670 with many PCIe-slots

same, same but different...

I'm waiting for an AMD MB-partner to facilitate a PROPER(!) motherboard, as suggested below:

X670MB_ver01.jpg

0 Likes
10 Replies
danwo
Adept II

There are good manuals already from some MB-partners. X670E is awesome platform to have. On some boards you are future proof for a long time. 

Good manuals for "Lanes" distribuition.  

0 Likes

It is not a question about "information" about MBs, it is about the utter lack of MBs altogether with MANY PCIe slots!

0 Likes

What do you consider to be a Mobo with "Many" PCIe slots? 5 -8 slots?

What type of PCIe slots are you talking about concerning PCIe slots? X16 or X1 or X4 etc.

I do know that some ThreadRipper Mobo comes with 4 PCIex16 slots on them. ThreadRipper is the consumer version of a Server type  Mobo.

So I imagine once the ThreadRipper Mobos for with AM5 Sockets comes out it may have more PCIe slots than a Non-ThreadRipper Mobos.

Mining MoBo are made to have up to 8 or more PCIe slots with risers installed for mining purposes. But not sure if you can uses that type of Mobo for normal use or not.

Note: I noticed you opened the same type of thread on AMD ProRender Forums.

0 Likes

Thank you for your interest in my issue!

Of course, the Threadripper solves the problem but it is also big-bucks and lacks on single thread performance, i.a. Solidworks rebuilds etc

However, within the limitations of the Ryzen architecture, it would be possible to stay away from the un-imaginary MANY-M.2-/ONE(1)-maxed-out-GPU-interface i.e. gaming arrangement.

The graphics I provided in the original post gives an example of an alternative arrangement with in this case:
2x PCIe4,5 x8 (no switches,no PLX's)
1x PCI x0 (un-utilized PCI-slot reserved for dual slot AIBs)
2x PCIe4 x4 (stealing the otherwise in-vouge M.2 slots)
2x PCIe4 x1 (miscellaneous)

ALL current MB's are "same, same but different" in their feature balance (just removing banal features to justify the price tiers)!
Remember the X58 platform and the withering features along the long dessert-walk with the Intel 4-core CPUs thereafter!

I opened the other thread in the hope that the "local" community might sympathize with the argument!?

filinux
Elite

Hello!!  

It seems you have a certain use case in mind for the  MoBo you are looking for.  Sharing what it is you would like to do or what the end use case would be for a "proper motherboard" might help.  If nothing else it may spark off some great discussions here!!  🙂   Despite how us end users often see it the folks making these products spend a LOT of time & money researching what is wanted, needed, and possible,  while still being viable to make a profit.  With multi-GPU gaming almost faded away and inclusion of (faster) subsystems on the MoBo it makes no sense for most consumer boards to have multiple PCI-e slots .  I know a few folks have asked me about building  MONSTER PCs for their businesses but they were better served by devices outside of the high end PC market.  Elstaci has already stated the first thing that came to my mind with the Threadripper option possibly filling your needs.  I hope I don't sound preachy your post just has me interested in what your wanting to do & possibly finding the best way to do it!!   

filinux, thank you for your interest in my issue!

Of course, the Threadripper solves the problem but it is also big-bucks and lacks on single thread performance, i.a. Solidworks rebuilds etc

However, within the limitations of the Ryzen architecture, it would be possible to stay away from the un-imaginary MANY-M.2-/ONE(1)-maxed-out-GPU-interface i.e. gaming arrangement.
You claim "a lot of research", -I say complacency in the oligarchic MB-market!

The graphics I provided in the original post gives an example of an alternative arrangement with in this case:
2x PCIe4,5 x8 (no switches,no PLX's)
1x PCI x0 (un-utilized PCI-slot reserved for dual slot AIBs)
2x PCIe4 x4 (stealing the otherwise in-vouge M.2 slots)
2x PCIe4 x1 (miscellaneous)

ALL current MB's are "same, same but different" in their feature balance (just removing banal features to justify the price tiers)!
Remember the X58 platform and the withering features along the long dessert-walk with the Intel 4-core CPUs thereafter!

I urge you to look closer on the PCI section of the graphics included in the original post to see what I'm aiming at, what can be achieved with X670 not even X670E! Compute and high-speed network (farming) AIBs.

0 Likes

Who would need that and for what? Brands create what they believe sells. Dual graphics has been dead a long time. People don't buy AI accelerators to platforms designed for home use. If you can afford accelerators, you can afford Threadrippers or Epycs.

The only use case I can think of where another 16x would make sense is for 4 x M.2 NVMe add-on card, but unfortunately you can only use two as it is 1x16 or 2x8 lanes + 1x4 lane. So in that sense, having at least 2 x 16 lanes + some 4x would make sense, but not available. Then again now you have so many M.2 ports available, that it is questionable if you need such add-in board anymore.

MADZyren,
Yeah, "brands create what they believe sells", so all have run to the alu-slabs-over-many-M.2-slots corner, for gamers with their glass-chassis, isn't it sad!
You can get it with a Carbon look or white and even stupidly expensive with onboard display and what-not to show off, isn't it sad!
Isn't it sad that the buyers tend to be ONLY consumers and do little or no creative work themselves?
I do not know about you but I do a lot of work on e.g. Solidworks, parametric CAD with deep and wide (sometimes circular) dependencies, and a few would agree that fast single(few) thread performance counts when doing say 100 "rebuilds" in a work session.
I'll admit, I have NOT tried the possible perceived performance loss on a Threadripper rig.

I do have one slave computer for batch jobs currently connected thru a 1Gb LAN. I wouldn't mind 10Gb LAN and maybe a few more slave computers!? Can I live without multiple 10Gb LAN, probably yes.

Design evaluation with the help of FEM-analysis is an iterative process and the core of it is to a large extent an trigonometric math solver.
My current FEM SW is CPU-centric but "I do see a near future" with "GPU"-based SW, considering ray-tracing at the core show the same type of (double-precision) trigonometric solving. Yes I know, it's been said the last 10 years or so without the expected break-through yet (for non-big-corporate use).

For the 1-lane slots, I for one still have a cable TV AIB in my computer with a dedicated screen. Who knows, I might get me an old big-paper plotter with an LPT port, who knows!?

I believe two(2) hardwired x8 slots, the near one PCIe5 and the far one relaxed to PCIe4 speeds will suffice, the gamers still have 15 MBs per MB brand with a x16 slot to choose from if they think that will make them better shooters.

0 Likes
MADZyren
Paragon

Perhaps 8x 8x 4x like:
- MSI X670E Carbon
- MSI X670E ACE
- MSI X670E GODLIKE
- Asus X670E CROSSHAIR EXTREME

0 Likes

MADZyren, thank you for your interest in my issue!

You've listed a few HALO-products with expensive PCIe-switches very much marketed at some non-existing SLI-market at fantasy-prices, and still those MBs do not provide a fully utilitarian scheme.

Please, for further argumentation go to the filinux answer above!

0 Likes